LBGTQ - 4 out of 5 cats prefer lesbians

TerraPrime

This thread is for the discussion of issues relating to the lives of LBGTQ (lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender/transsexual, queer/questioning) people. This thread aims to be a supportive space for issues on sexuality and gender identities. Please do not post comments that negate, belittle, or insult people's chosen identity.

Robin:

Language evolves. C'est la vie. I, like you, actually prefer the use of transsexual over transgender. But that boat has sailed.

As for "transwoman," I think it will depend on the context. If it's chosen as a self-identifier, then I have no problem with it. If it's used in a context to alienate, then yes, that's a problem.

There was an interview with Eddie Izzard in the paper today where he described himself as trans, although the editor made a correction so it was printed as trans[vestite]. I'm not sure if I agree with his terminology - if I see the word trans with no modifiers, I would assume it means transgender rather than simply crossdressing.

The full interview is here - he also gets asked about Germaine Greer's recent comments

What are you guys' thoughts on coming out by text message? I kind of want to tell two friends I'm gay (they've both stated they'd be okay with it since they suspect it, or at least used to), but I can't find the right moment in coversation, and don't have the balls to bring it up myself. A message on their phone would be easier, but also less personal. Has anybody come out of the closet this way?

What are you guys' thoughts on coming out by text message? I kind of want to tell two friends I'm gay (they've both stated they'd be okay with it since they suspect it, or at least used to), but I can't find the right moment in coversation, and don't have the balls to bring it up myself. A message on their phone would be easier, but also less personal. Has anybody come out of the closet this way?

I came out to my mom two times, once in person, then over the phone. first as bisexual when I was a teenager, then gay a few months after I moved out. she was resistant for a bit but then she was okay with it & said "if you ever bring home a girl she better be as pretty as you". my brother has been less supportive & I've never really had a conversation with him about it, same as the rest of my family.
text seems safer, but sometimes it's nice to be real about it in person if the person is special to you.
telling friends was weird but everyone knew, although I felt so shy & embarrassed at first. of course a few people were shitty & I let them drop off my radar pretty quickly as a result.

I came out to my mom two times, once in person, then over the phone. first as bisexual when I was a teenager, then gay a few months after I moved out. she was resistant for a bit but then she was okay with it & said "if you ever bring home a girl she better be as pretty as you". my brother has been less supportive & I've never really had a conversation with him about it, same as the rest of my family.text seems safer, but sometimes it's nice to be real about it in person if the person is special to you.
telling friends was weird but everyone knew, although I felt so shy & embarrassed at first. of course a few people were shitty & I let them drop off my radar pretty quickly as a result.

Well, I'm not the only who's considered it, at least.
Sorry to hear about your brother and the shitty people.

Well, I'm not the only who's considered it, at least.Sorry to hear about your brother and the shitty people.

thanks. I hope you find the right way to do it for you. it goes down different for everyone, but it feels a lot better being real about yourself & the good people in your life will love you more for it.

Personally I feel you come out however you feel you need to and in the method that feels safe to you.  It's almost always an awkward conversation to raise, and it can feel less awkward to do via text than trying to steer an in person conversation there.  Another thing to consider is if you are ready to do it via text but no in person, would they rather be trusted through the less personal medium or have you continue to hold part of yourself back for more time? Personally I'd rather the person I care about tell me however they feel comfortable and accept that trust, I know not everyone feels the same as me on this though.

ellstaysia - Hi! This thread has been much more active at points in the past, if you look back at past iterations of the thread you'll see me babbling far too much about my life and experiences for example.  I think of late there has been a lot going on elsewhere online and we've been a bit run down with everything, I know I certainly have at least. 

On that note, there is currently a Senate Inquiry in Aus on "Personal choice and community impacts" which has the potential to impact on how LGBTQI film, games etc are treated.  Last year we had some rank bs when high schools were banned from showing a film called "Gayby baby" about the kids of gay couples from being shown by the conservative state government.  The same conservative party that decries centralised curriculum and thinks these things should be up to individual principals...except when they make a decision the conservatives don't like of course.  Generally though I'd love to see an end to our very relationships and lives being treated as somehow more adult/mature than straight couples and cis lives.  We are just people ffs, kids don't need to be shielded from us.

I kind of want to tell two friends I'm gay (they've both stated they'd be okay with it since they suspect it, or at least used to), but I can't find the right moment in coversation, and don't have the balls to bring it up myself. A message on their phone would be easier, but also less personal.

What about txting them shortly before seeing them in person? Lets you raise the topic in a less scary way but with the possibility of a more personal conversation afterwards.

I would do this all day long.  It wasn't available for me at your age.  At my age, coming out to my parents is like,"YES!!!  AGAIN WITH THE FUCKING GIRLS!  IT WASN'T A DRUG-ADDLED MISTAKE!!!  GROW UP AND FUCKING ACT LIKE A HUMAN!!!"

I text them first if there's a gal coming around. They are STILL confused.  It's been twenty five years.  25.  A long time.

There's no right way to come out.  There isn't.  I am so sorry and also so happy for you.  No matter how you do this, you are going to feel so much better about all of your relationships with everyone,

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I wish you the best and only the best.  Everyone had better be nice to you.

I've come out over Facebook. Easiest way to do it. You can spend as much time as you like building up the courage behind the computer screen. It's a little impersonal, but in this day and age a lot of serious communication goes on via texting and computers anyway. 

I've come out over Facebook. Easiest way to do it. You can spend as much time as you like building up the courage behind the computer screen. It's a little impersonal, but in this day and age a lot of serious communication goes on via texting and computers anyway. 

There's a lot that is less than optimal about communicating by text or Facebook, but sometimes it's a less-than-optimal world.

In other news, Russia continues its merry downward slide into anti-gay hellhole.

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/russia-voting-ban-gays-public-affection-coming-out/?fb=dd

Notice the double-standard, where physical affection between women is not penalized. It's the sexist cherry on top of a shit sundae.

In better news, as posted in UK Politics, we have the first openly gay Conservative Cabinet minister. His coming out was welcomed by Downing St.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35301898?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_daily_politics_and_sunday_politics&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=news_central 

A gay Scot Tory cabinet member. Unless I've missed my UK politics by a lot, that's someone with a surprising amount of exceptionality.

The article I read about it said that the Tories are now equal with Labour in number of out gay MPs, and the UK as a whole has the highest proportion of openly gay members of parliament in the world.

Archived