What is your favourite king?

dariopatke

I believe that Renly would be the best king in a time of peace and Stannis in a time of war. "They will bend the knee or I will break them."
Robb could be a good king of the north, but I think he has gotten his political abilities from his father.... and that never ends well....
Euron is of course awesome, but maybe not a king that would serve the realm.
Besides, Griff (Jon Connington) is not a king, but Young Griff (Aegon VI) is the king, or intends to be at least.

Mance. All the rest are just entitled as in people should bend for them because of their birth. Some are even arrogant in that regard like Joff, Dany, Viserys and Stannis. Some of them can see their kingship with some nuance and are better for it like Tommen and to a lesser extend Robert. Mance and Euron are the only ones who get ellected, in the case of Euron he gets ellected mostly by nobillety out of a limite amount of candidate's and probably corrupted the process to some degree, Mance is the only one who is acceptable for all his people and deserve's his title on the basis of merrit. A man like Mance who doesn't take his power too serious and can reconciliate various diverse groups to make them work toghether would probably be a capable king, or president.

King Stannis Baratheon, rightful ruler of Westeros and the king who cares.

This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

- Tywin Lannister.

It's done, Jon thought, they're breaking. The wildlings were running, throwing down their weapons, Hornfoot men and cave dwellers and Thenns in bronze scales, they were running. Mance was gone, someone was waving Harma's head on a pole, Tormund's lines had broken. Only the giants on their mammoths were holding, hairy islands in a red steel sea. The fires were leaping from tent to tent and some of the tall pines were going up as well. And through the smoke another wedge of armored riders came, on barded horses. Floating above them were the largest banners yet, royal standards as big as sheets; a yellow one with long pointed tongues that showed a flaming heart, and another like a sheet of beaten gold, with a black stag prancing and rippling in the wind.
Robert, Jon thought for one mad moment, remembering poor Owen, but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

"Demons made of snow and ice and cold. The ancient enemy. The only enemy that matters."
- Stannis Baratheon.

"I shall bring justice to Westeros. A thing Ser Axell understands as little as he does war. Claw Isle would gain me naught . . . and it was evil, just as you said. Celtigar must pay the traitor's price himself, in his own person. And when I come into my kingdom, he shall. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."

- Stannis Baratheon.

Stannis: "Have you ever seen the Iron Throne? The barbs along the back, the ribbons of twisted steel, the jagged ends of swords and knives all tangled up and melted? It is not a comfortable seat, ser. Aerys cut himself so often men took to calling him King Scab, and Maegor the Cruel was murdered in that chair. By that chair, to hear some tell it. It is not a seat where a man can rest at ease. Ofttimes I wonder why my brothers wanted it so desperately."

Davos: Why would you want it, then?

Stannis: "It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son." He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. "I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations."

"Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne."

- Stannis Baratheon.

The king beyond the wall is my favorite.  He has brought together disparate species in a hostile environment. Much harder than bringing together some vassals in an essentially feudal system.

Mance. All the rest are just entitled as in people should bend for them because of their birth. Some are even arrogant in that regard like Joff, Dany, Viserys and Stannis. Some of them can see their kingship with some nuance and are better for it like Tommen and to a lesser extend Robert. Mance and Euron are the only ones who get ellected, in the case of Euron he gets ellected mostly by nobillety out of a limite amount of candidate's and probably corrupted the process to some degree, Mance is the only one who is acceptable for all his people and deserve's his title on the basis of merrit. A man like Mance who doesn't take his power too serious and can reconciliate various diverse groups to make them work toghether would probably be a capable king, or president.

Agreed on every single point. 

Mance seems kindhearted, just and capable of acting reasonably in position of power. That makes him so outstanding and fit for a king.

Stannis - I like him most as a character and feel for him as a person plus he is ok as king 

Dany is close second, but I don't like world building and many side-characters in Essos

Mance is good at ruling and taking care of his people, but I don't care about him as much as I care for Stannis and Dany

I like everyone else on the list (as characters) except for Balon, Euron and Robb, don't care much about them.

robb, although he made a couple grave mistakes, & mance, king beyond the wall. as far as shouthern kings (how jon says it in the hardhome episode haha) renly is the only one I like. stannis is a bore, don't like him at all but maybe he'd be a good king? meh.

Archived