Will we see any other sample chapter?

It would be good to read another sample. I believe he would release the Aeron Chapter he would read in a conference or one of the chapters from Tyrion, Barristan or Arianne that he read in public and we have a resume.

It would be good to read a chapter from Areo Hotah, that is hunting Darkstar, or a second chapter from Sansa.

Nope, nothing botched about that particular thing. In fact, Arya's material is a prime example of great adaptation choices. Yeah, yeah, I know, salty bookies will object, but who cares.

Which version of the scene are you talking about, 1 or 2? Perhaps the next one will be even better...

After all, third time's the charm.

I too think it'll be the Damphair...if GRRM is completely out of tune with reality. 

I mean, he's got to know he pissed off a substantial amount of readers with his announcement, so is he going to piss them off even further by finally - finally! - releasing a Winds chapter of a character despised by most of the fandom? Talk about salt in the wound (get it, cause Dampy is always salty?)

And what kind of message would it send: "Hey, readers, it's me, Uncle George! You're still watching that HBO show with those boring characters no one cares about, like Jon Snow, Dany, Tyrion? Zzzzzz, I'm asleep already! My book is where all the fun's at, and to prove it here's a chapter of the most entertaining and beloved character ever, the Damphair!"

And there's also the fact that a sample chapter is the only way GRRM has now of telling a part, however small, of his story before HBO, like he did with Mercy and Alayne. So why would he waste that opportunity on a character D&D are not even including?

Oh, and if all that wasn't reason enough to keep Dampy away, he'd be giving ammunition to those who think he's really behind on Winds because they'll say: "Did you hear, GRRM is releasing the Damphair chapter he wrote like five years ago? See, he hasn't written anything new!"

My guess is on a Melisandre chapter if he was feeling ballsy. If not, Dany or Sam.

GRRM has said many times about the show going in different paths than the book and about characters not appearing or being dead in the show and not the books.The only arcs the book is ahead of the show are the Ironborn and Samwell.The arcs of Jaime,Sansa,Davos (who is going to Skaagos),Winterfell and Dorne are different in the books.By releasing a Damphair/Samwell/Jaime/Sansa/Davos/Theon/Arianne chapter he will show us again that the book wo't be totally spoilered by the show.

So no one i optimistic about having the book released late in the year ? From what I know, GRRM said the book won't be out in before season 6 starts, doesn't rule out the rest of the year. To stay on topic, if the book is released this year, there's no need for another sample chapter; if not, then I would welcome it (yes, even the damphair one : I find him rather interesting and to hear George say it it might a pretty amazing chapter)

GRRM has said many times about the show going in different paths than the book and about characters not appearing or being dead in the show and not the books.The only arcs the book is ahead of the show are the Ironborn and Samwell.The arcs of Jaime,Sansa,Davos (who is going to Skaagos),Winterfell and Dorne are different in the books.By releasing a Damphair/Samwell/Jaime/Sansa/Davos/Theon/Arianne chapter he will show us again that the book wo't be totally spoilered by the show.

He can show us that with a more interesting character tho. Plus, after his failed attempt at downplaying the show's upcoming spoilers ("Yeah, the show will tell the story of Jon and Dany, but my books will have Bloodbeard and Pretty Merris!") he has to prove his book will still be worthwhile to read even after we know what happens. He won't do that with the Damphair. 

And it's not only Sam and the Ironborn that are ahead. It's Jon, Mel, Dany, Bran, Tyrion (sort of), Arya.

Actually... I *do* want the Damphair chapter. I am actually interested in finally learning what the Ironborn have really been up to, and Euron in particular.

I think there's two possible plot lines happening:

(1) Aeron trying to undermine Euron from within, especially if he hears the news that the only man not present at the kingsmoot, and therefore the only man not to either have a claim rejected, or to fail to stake a claim when present - namely Theon Greyjoy - is no longer in Bolton custody (although Stannis will be no easier to escape from, especially since he is allied with Northmen who will never let Theon escape: but at least he will not torture Theon further.)

But if Theon were to turn up in his current condition (and Aeron may learn of this while Theon is still alive in Stannis's captivity, there is no way he could be accepted by a kingsmoot: so the question is, *to whom could Theon pass his unresolved claim, should he die with it still unresolved*. The obvious answer: Asha, giving HER a second chance at a kingsmoot - claiming by right of inheritance from and through Theon. She failed at the first kingsmoot, at staking a claim in her own right: the only way to undermine Euron's claim of kingship is to go through with the claim that Theon is the true rightful king, and thus - since there's no way for him to escape one Northern faction without either being captured by the other or dying in the snow - inherit THROUGH him, when he eventually meets his end - although that may be prolonged for a while by any decisions made by Stannis.

At some point, the fact that Theon can claim to be a king must be important - even if he can't live as a king, he can die as one. Which includes two important things: (1) Passing the "rightful inheritance of the throne" to an heir of his choice - Asha is all there is - and (2) "Two kings to wake the dragon": he qualifies as one.

Asha may have been an enemy of the Northmen, but she's not a betrayer since she was never a ward, guest or hostage of them: and, when she took Deepwood Motte, she treated the Glovers well even though they were prisoners. Asha, at least, has hope of being released or ransomed by her captors (Stannis or the Northmen) as long as she does not fall into Bolton hands: and if she escapes, they're unlikely to search for her the way they would search for Theon.

(2) Getting a look at Euron's preparations for invading and raiding the land, and seeing what he may be wanting at Oldtown, if that's where he is headed. That will of necessity be the beginning of a storyline which will have to be continued in a later chapter by Samwell Tarly, who looks set fair to be at ground zero for that...

What I do see, though, from reading GRRM's blog, is: Whenever he puts up a post on any other literary thing he's working on, from Wild Cards to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, at least half the posts on it end up being about TWOW. He really needs to get the message: Far fewer people CARE about Wild Cards, or about the repackaging of stories that have already been released. He knows what his readers want. Now get on with it :-)

Probably is all I can say.

I love how GRRM first said Mercy would be the final sample chapter, than we got the Sansa one last year as the apparent final chapter. Now with almost no hope of the book coming out this year, suddenly GRRM is thinking of releasing another one. We're going to have a good 1/4 of this book spoiled for us before it's even published at this rate, assuming that ever does happen.

I hope we get the next two three books at all written in his own hand. He's been doing a lot of postings about football since his New Year's announcement.

I don't need, or want, anymore sample chapters and I hope he does not feel the need to parse it out into small nibbles. What I want is the entire portion to consume, blood and butter dribbling down my chin the entire time.

Mel would be fun to read but would be too spoilery for what happens to Jon. I mean, we would get Mel watching Val do all of the work to bring Jon back, but then would you be satisfied after that? NO, you would want more blood and butter. Then a whiskey and a smoke. Davos could also give too much away. Sansa could be the only one that doesn't reveal too much since most characters are almost at the climax in their arc whereas she is still "learning". Bran would be good, but only to clear the damned Jojen paste theories.

Will we see any other sample chapter? God be good, no.

I don't understand how a chapter from the book can be considered spoiler. How can something spoil itself?!? You can make a point about how you want to read more i.e. the full book in one go but the chapter in itself is not spoiler. Moreover, if you want to read the book as a whole then do so and skip reading the sample chapters he releases rather than saying don't release more.

Anyways, considering that he re-writes a lot I'd be interested in him releasing those early versions of a chapter that he has changed already.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, Curled Finger said:

Why not some other POV that gives up nothing, Like Areo describing Doran's swollen joints for another 20 or so pages?   Sam?  if nothing big is happening that will give the readers a big old goose egg, sure.   Mel?  No frickin way.   We only have 1 Mel chapter and that's still picked apart repeatedly--she's way too good for a sample.    I'm fixing on Davos here.    He's sure to have half of Winds in transit.   

By simply reading the responses above I'm gathering that it is a consensus that big things are happening in the very next chapter for all the characters we've already got samples of?   

I don't know why GRRM doesn't just scrap the whole 1000+ page novel and give us novellas divided however he pleases or split like Feast & Dance if that woks (Deal with Mereen in March, the Wall in July, King's Landing in November).  He could dole these out to us every 6 weeks for the next year if he wanted.   At least the readers would have something for the significantly greater investment the act of reading requires? This process has gone on for so long now.      

Probably because it would violate his contract with his publishers. Also, given how fond he is of rewrites, he'd be very wary of publishing something that may lock certain plot points in and prevent him from changing things going forward.

9 minutes ago, Jonathan N said:

Probably because it would violate his contract with his publishers. Also, given how fond he is of rewrites, he'd be very wary of publishing something that may lock certain plot points in and prevent him from changing things going forward.

Perhaps constraint would do the writing progress some good?  The story has gone in many directions.   Imagine all the original Arya stuff that you might have read a long time ago.  Imagine all the 1st edited Stannis stuff that may have put him on an entirely different trajectory--one that GRRM actually had in mind for the character, that may have been altered to suit some idea GRRM later came up with.   There is brilliance throughout this entire tale.  That may be due to the constant rethinking of plots and characters.  And maybe not.    Maybe this story would be every bit as enjoyable and fascinating without Dorne or Aegon or even Brienne.   I'm certain there are statements, but the sheer voluminosity of this thing obscures many of them.   

20 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Perhaps constraint would do the writing progress some good?  The story has gone in many directions.   Imagine all the original Arya stuff that you might have read a long time ago.  Imagine all the 1st edited Stannis stuff that may have put him on an entirely different trajectory--one that GRRM actually had in mind for the character, that may have been altered to suit some idea GRRM later came up with.   There is brilliance throughout this entire tale.  That may be due to the constant rethinking of plots and characters.  And maybe not.    Maybe this story would be every bit as enjoyable and fascinating without Dorne or Aegon or even Brienne.   I'm certain there are statements, but the sheer voluminosity of this thing obscures many of them.   

Maybe. My point was not that an option to endlessly rewrite is beneficial, but that GRRM clearly values this option and wouldn't give it up.

So far, we have seen half of the number of sample/reading chapters for TWoW that we saw for ADwD. As long as he stays more restrained like this, I wouldn't mind another sample.

The oddest choice for readings/samples before ADwD was the reading of Daenerys IX up to Drogon's arrival. That was the 53rd chapter of 73 in the final release.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2016 at 8:50 PM, JLE said:

What I do see, though, from reading GRRM's blog, is: Whenever he puts up a post on any other literary thing he's working on, from Wild Cards to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, at least half the posts on it end up being about TWOW. He really needs to get the message: Far fewer people CARE about Wild Cards, or about the repackaging of stories that have already been released. He knows what his readers want. Now get on with it :-)

I can't believe he used A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms as anything but a distraction. What a POS that was, if you had already invested in the graphic novels or where the 3rd story was published. Just some retread stuff with barely tolerable illustrations. I felt the same way about AWOIAF. A bunch of probably irrelevant stuff, with some interesting stuff mixed in. 

That being said the graphic novels were terrific. I wish GRRM would sit down with a bottle of whisky and just crank out the last few bits of this story. 

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎11 at 10:37 AM, Mr Fixit said:

Nope, nothing botched about that particular thing. In fact, Arya's material is a prime example of great adaptation choices. Yeah, yeah, I know, salty bookies will object, but who cares.

It was a great choice to give Arya a cool and collected kill when she was supposed to be a wreck, and then in season 5 give her a kill where she completely lost it when she was supposed to be cool and collected?

Archived