Will we see any other sample chapter?

I too think it'll be the Damphair...if GRRM is completely out of tune with reality. 

I mean, he's got to know he pissed off a substantial amount of readers with his announcement, so is he going to piss them off even further by finally - finally! - releasing a Winds chapter of a character despised by most of the fandom? Talk about salt in the wound (get it, cause Dampy is always salty?)

And what kind of message would it send: "Hey, readers, it's me, Uncle George! You're still watching that HBO show with those boring characters no one cares about, like Jon Snow, Dany, Tyrion? Zzzzzz, I'm asleep already! My book is where all the fun's at, and to prove it here's a chapter of the most entertaining and beloved character ever, the Damphair!"

And there's also the fact that a sample chapter is the only way GRRM has now of telling a part, however small, of his story before HBO, like he did with Mercy and Alayne. So why would he waste that opportunity on a character D&D are not even including?

Oh, and if all that wasn't reason enough to keep Dampy away, he'd be giving ammunition to those who think he's really behind on Winds because they'll say: "Did you hear, GRRM is releasing the Damphair chapter he wrote like five years ago? See, he hasn't written anything new!"

My guess is on a Melisandre chapter if he was feeling ballsy. If not, Dany or Sam.

I highly doubt what D&D do with the TV show has much impact on George's decisions.  At least I hope that's the case.

Well, you're absolutely right. The tv show is going to spoil the living fuck out of the books and George decided not to care.

But on the topic of advance chapters, I think it's pretty convenient that GRRM released Mercy right before the show had Arya murdering Polliver like she murdered Raff in that chapter. 

I can't see GRRM releasing a chapter that gives anything serious away, but I understand GGG's point.  Releasing Jons revival chapter just seems way out of place to me, it won't be 1 of the first chapters, we'd be missing so much.  I think at this point he is resigned to his story being spoiled/ruined and there's really nothing he can do about it. He offered to read Damphairs chapter before, so it is likely all setup like the others.  

I too think it'll be the Damphair...if GRRM is completely out of tune with reality. 

I mean, he's got to know he pissed off a substantial amount of readers with his announcement, so is he going to piss them off even further by finally - finally! - releasing a Winds chapter of a character despised by most of the fandom? Talk about salt in the wound (get it, cause Dampy is always salty?)

And what kind of message would it send: "Hey, readers, it's me, Uncle George! You're still watching that HBO show with those boring characters no one cares about, like Jon Snow, Dany, Tyrion? Zzzzzz, I'm asleep already! My book is where all the fun's at, and to prove it here's a chapter of the most entertaining and beloved character ever, the Damphair!"

And there's also the fact that a sample chapter is the only way GRRM has now of telling a part, however small, of his story before HBO, like he did with Mercy and Alayne. So why would he waste that opportunity on a character D&D are not even including?

Oh, and if all that wasn't reason enough to keep Dampy away, he'd be giving ammunition to those who think he's really behind on Winds because they'll say: "Did you hear, GRRM is releasing the Damphair chapter he wrote like five years ago? See, he hasn't written anything new!"

My guess is on a Melisandre chapter if he was feeling ballsy. If not, Dany or Sam.

I literally couldn't have said it better. If he really want's to spare fans a Spoiler he would release JS "Resurrection" or at least give us a chapter with enough clues for us to piece it. (never going to happen)

On the one side I want more sample chapters, on the other side I still remember how it was reading about the first 150 pages of ADwD without hitting anything new. There were so many sample chapters and reports about written chapters back then that pretty much nothing was new. We had the Prologue, the first two Tyrion chapters, preliminary versions of the first four (!) Dany chapters, the first two Jon chapters, the first two Davos chapters, the first Reek chapter, the first Quentyn chapter, and possibly even more that I don't remember.

That was too much material.

For TWoW we already have two Barristan chapters, two Tyrion chapters, a partial Victarion chapter, the first Theon chapter, the first Alayne chapter, the Mercy chapter, the first two Arianne chapters. That could already be enough, too.

If there is another sample chapter I guess it will either be the first Jon or Ghost chapter, or the first Melisandre chapter (the latter is more likely) depicting the situation immediately after (and perhaps even partially during) Jon's assassination. One assumes that George really wants to set the tone for that one first, even if the show is then soon getting ahead of him. Just as he wanted to give us the Mercy chapter first before the show gave us a botched adaptation of the whole thing.

i must say this ....you never stop making me laugh with every post ....I love reading your posts ...  I think the only things we differ are on some opinions on dany and Emma watson sorry I can't give her to you 

i must say this ....you never stop making me laugh with every post ....I love reading your posts ...  I think the only things we differ are on some opinions on dany and Emma watson sorry I can't give her to you 

Give her to me! You can keep Dany, I don't care.

Just as he wanted to give us the Mercy chapter first before the show gave us a botched adaptation of the whole thing.

Nope, nothing botched about that particular thing. In fact, Arya's material is a prime example of great adaptation choices. Yeah, yeah, I know, salty bookies will object, but who cares.

Give her to me! You can keep Dany, I don't care.

nah you see me Emma and Emilia are the three heads of the dragon... So can't do that mate ...

Nope, nothing botched about that particular thing. In fact, Arya's material is a prime example of great adaptation choices. Yeah, yeah, I know, salty bookies will object, but who cares.

i agree it was very well done on the show 

yeah, I will say the show's interpretation of "mercy" was pretty extreme but I enjoyed it. didn't need to see girls being abused to know trant deserved a miserable death though. loved when arya says her true name while he's blinded & choking on his own blood.

Why not some other POV that gives up nothing, Like Areo describing Doran's swollen joints for another 20 or so pages?   Sam?  if nothing big is happening that will give the readers a big old goose egg, sure.   Mel?  No frickin way.   We only have 1 Mel chapter and that's still picked apart repeatedly--she's way too good for a sample.    I'm fixing on Davos here.    He's sure to have half of Winds in transit.   

By simply reading the responses above I'm gathering that it is a consensus that big things are happening in the very next chapter for all the characters we've already got samples of?   

I don't know why GRRM doesn't just scrap the whole 1000+ page novel and give us novellas divided however he pleases or split like Feast & Dance if that woks (Deal with Mereen in March, the Wall in July, King's Landing in November).  He could dole these out to us every 6 weeks for the next year if he wanted.   At least the readers would have something for the significantly greater investment the act of reading requires? This process has gone on for so long now.      

Probably is all I can say.

I love how GRRM first said Mercy would be the final sample chapter, than we got the Sansa one last year as the apparent final chapter. Now with almost no hope of the book coming out this year, suddenly GRRM is thinking of releasing another one. We're going to have a good 1/4 of this book spoiled for us before it's even published at this rate, assuming that ever does happen.

Well, you're absolutely right. The tv show is going to spoil the living fuck out of the books and George decided not to care.

But on the topic of advance chapters, I think it's pretty convenient that GRRM released Mercy right before the show had Arya murdering Polliver like she murdered Raff in that chapter. 

She murdered Meryn Trant in the show, not Polliver.

I hope we get the next two three books at all written in his own hand. He's been doing a lot of postings about football since his New Year's announcement.

I don't need, or want, anymore sample chapters and I hope he does not feel the need to parse it out into small nibbles. What I want is the entire portion to consume, blood and butter dribbling down my chin the entire time.

Mel would be fun to read but would be too spoilery for what happens to Jon. I mean, we would get Mel watching Val do all of the work to bring Jon back, but then would you be satisfied after that? NO, you would want more blood and butter. Then a whiskey and a smoke. Davos could also give too much away. Sansa could be the only one that doesn't reveal too much since most characters are almost at the climax in their arc whereas she is still "learning". Bran would be good, but only to clear the damned Jojen paste theories.

Will we see any other sample chapter? God be good, no.

Archived