David Bowie... reported deceased.

Howdyphillip

I remember the first time I listened to David Bowie and knew about it. I was pretty young, and I was watching the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on dvd with my parents. Then Bowie came on, and he was so...assured, regal, I don't know. He stood out on a stage packed full of rock stars. Anyway, I asked ''Who's the man in the green suit?'', and my Dad explained that he was basically God. Also, that he was the guy who sang ''Starman'', a song I've loved all my life.

Speaking of Freddie Mercury, Bowie was the one who followed up Queen's legendary turn at Live Aid. I don't think anyone else could have done it and not dampened the crowd. It's not that he matched it, but you know, he didn't need to match it. It was pretty much what you said, he was assured and regal coz, well, he's David Bowie, of course he was. And it worked.

I'm just watching a series of interviews and short documentaries about David Bowie, and he told one interviewer that every artist has a bad period.  The worst years of his life, he said, was the period from 1984 to 1988.  He didn't know what he was doing or where he was going and everything he did was crap.

I saw him on the Glass Spider tour in 1987.  I am humbled to think I saw him at his worst.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I love this hahaha. <3 

16 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Brilliant, love it!

Archived