Vampires, differing lores- whats your fav ?

princess_snow

HI all 

I hope there isnt another thread like this I searched and couldnt find one. I am still fairly new here so apologies if there is one already.

The only show Ive yet to watch is The Originals which I intend to do when I have finished Vampire Diaries - currently on Season three and binge watching so no spoilers please. I watched True Blood saw Interview with a Vampire years ago, did the Twilight saga at the insistence of my daughter. 

My question is, what is your favourite lore ? Not sure Im even phrasing that correctly !

Mine is the lore used in Vampire Diaries, up until I saw that it was True Blood.     

Have you ever played the White Wolf role playing game? Vampire: The Masquerade? I thought they did a fantastic job of pulling lore from all sorts of sources and combining it into one consistent universe. They had different bloodlines of vampires as subtypes, all with their own strengths and weaknesses. As far as movies go, I'd probably take the first 2 Blade flicks and the first Underworld flick. They did a solid job, methinks. Probably my favorite Vampire flick ever is Let the Right One In, but it is a bit short on lore.

Mine is the lore used in Vampire Diaries, up until I saw that it was True Blood.     

Don't mean to bag on what you like, but for me any lore that has a multitude of vampires walking around in sunlight is kind of crap. I know Blade had some small measure of that, but it was an extreme exception. The whole Daylight Amulet thing kind of kills Vampire Diaries for me.

I always wished Blade would somehow invade the Twilight series, and take that sword and all his gizmos to all the vampires within it.

I liked Anne Rice's take on vampires, as I enjoy history, and many of her novels included historical settings.  I like New Orleans as well, so Interview/Lestat/etc was interesting from that perspective.

My favourite vampire film (other than Interview with the Vampire) is the genre-bending Near Dark which came out the same year as Lost Boys but (ans as much as I LOVE lost boys) is a far superior movie. The vampires (tho the word is never mentioned once) aren't elegant at all - they're brutal and disgusting and desperate and malicious and frightened. Brilliant film, great cast and excellent performances. Youtube "Near Dark Bar Scene" gruesome stuff. 

My favourite vampire film (other than Interview with the Vampire) is the genre-bending Near Dark which came out the same year as Lost Boys but (ans as much as I LOVE lost boys) is a far superior movie. The vampires (tho the word is never mentioned once) aren't elegant at all - they're brutal and disgusting and desperate and malicious and frightened. Brilliant film, great cast and excellent performances. Youtube "Near Dark Bar Scene" gruesome stuff. 

Hmmm I'll have to give Near Dark a watch, hearing you like it more than Lost Boys makes me very intrigued. Was gonna watch it tonight but Itunes and a few other spots don't even have it, damn it.

Seconded. Great Vampire Hick Flick starring Bill Paxton and Lance Henrikson. I love the scene where they are trying to sunproof the vehicle they are riding in as the sun comes up. Good stuff.

It's my favourite Bill Paxton role alongside him in Aliens. Near Dark basically has half the cast of Aliens and they have that great familial chemistry as they were already friends. Each of the 'vampires' is completely compelling in their own way. My favourite scene is the bar scene, especially when The Cramps' devilishly sexy cover of Peggy Lee's "Fever" comes on the jukebox and it creates such an effortlessly menacing scene with the various looks the vampires give each other and the audiences expectations of what they're going to do next. Basically I love Near Dark and try and reccommend it whenever relevant.

Have you ever played the White Wolf role playing game? Vampire: The Masquerade? I thought they did a fantastic job of pulling lore from all sorts of sources and combining it into one consistent universe. They had different bloodlines of vampires as subtypes, all with their own strengths and weaknesses. As far as movies go, I'd probably take the first 2 Blade flicks and the first Underworld flick. They did a solid job, methinks. Probably my favorite Vampire flick ever is Let the Right One In, but it is a bit short on lore.

No I havent ... Ill have to look into that. I need to catch up on these films too. I always thought Id hate supernatural stuff up until I got into True Blood. Blade is that with Wesley Snipes ?

Don't mean to bag on what you like, but for me any lore that has a multitude of vampires walking around in sunlight is kind of crap. I know Blade had some small measure of that, but it was an extreme exception. The whole Daylight Amulet thing kind of kills Vampire Diaries for me.

Yeah I found that odd when I first started watching it and a bit lame - I guess Im so happy to have found another Vamp series I am happy lol. Will def have to search for some more. What about the Originals is that worth a look ?

Yeah will do thanks Theda ! Ill have plenty to watch now thanks to all the great suggestions above. 

No I havent ... Ill have to look into that. I need to catch up on these films too. I always thought Id had supernatural stuff up until I got into True Blood. Blade is that with Wesley Snipes ?

Yeah, he's a half-vampire, vampire hunter. Very good action flick featuring a sort of Civil War between old school vampires and a group of powerful, younger upstarts. The first two films are quite good, but don't bother with the third. It goes way off the tracks. 

It's my favourite Bill Paxton role alongside him in Aliens. Near Dark basically has half the cast of Aliens and they have that great familial chemistry as they were already friends. Each of the 'vampires' is completely compelling in their own way. My favourite scene is the bar scene, especially when The Cramps' devilishly sexy cover of Peggy Lee's "Fever" comes on the jukebox and it creates such an effortlessly menacing scene with the various looks the vampires give each other and the audiences expectations of what they're going to do next. Basically I love Near Dark and try and reccommend it whenever relevant.

I love Bill Paxton.  :wub:

Archived