The reason why the Warlocks failed to make Sam tougher

Falcon2908

Randyll Tarly wanted to make his son, Sam, a tough lad. He once hired some warlocks from Qarth to make a man out of Sam.

"One time," Sam confided, his voice dropping from a whisper, "two men came to the castle, warlocks from Qarth with white skin and blue lips. They slaughtered a bull aurochs and made me bathe in the hot blood, but it didn't make me brave as they'd promised. I got sick and retched. Father had them scourged."

The warlocks failed to make a man out of Sam. This is because their magic powers or the  existing magic in the world was weak. If the Targaryen Dragons hadn't died out, then the Warlocks would have definitely succeeded.

This is because the existence of dragons makes magic much, much more stronger in the world.  We have witnessed this when Dany's dragons were born. Glass candles have started to burn once again in a hundred years in Qarth as well as the Citadel. 

Xaro looked troubled. "And so it was, then. But now? I am less certain. It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker, that have not burned in a hundred years. Ghost grass grows in the Garden of Gehane, phantom tortoises have been seen carrying messages between the windowless houses on Warlock's Way, and all the rats in the city are chewing off their tails. The wife of Mathos Mallarawan, who once mocked a warlock's drab moth-eaten robe, has gone mad and will wear no clothes at all. Even fresh-washed silks make her feel as though a thousand insects were crawling on her skin. And Blind Sybassion the Eater of Eyes can see again, or so his slaves do swear. A man must wonder." He sighed. "These are strange times in Qarth. And strange times are bad for trade.

So simply put, if Dragons did exist when Sam was a child, then the Warlocks would have been able to make Sam a brave, tough boy.

Man I've reread the series several times and never once even gave the bath a 2nd thought.   Nice detail pick up there.   I think Sam was always brave, he wasn't the fierce personality his dad wanted him to be.   Randyll considers Sam's love for reading and songs to be weakness.   Of course we know those things aren't weak even a little bit.  I think it's interesting that Randyll would know to send for the warlocks at all.  Isn't that just a smidge out of place?  You could have a point that with the return of magic the warlock's bath may have had some stronger or more immediate effect on Sam.   If this is the case I'm glad it happened too soon.   There are not enough just good guys who want to learn and take a gentle approach to life in Westeros.  

This is because the existence of dragons makes magic much, much more stronger in the world.  We have witnessed this when Dany's dragons were born. Glass candles have started to burn once again in a hundred years in Qarth as well as the Citadel. 

So simply put, if Dragons did exist when Sam was a child, then the Warlocks would have been able to make Sam a brave, tough boy.

The Others had returned before the Dragons were born

No magic in the GRRMiverse can overcome Sam's cowardice.  

Beat me to it. 

I also don't think forcing your cowardly child to bathe in aurochs blood as creepy, blue-lipped evil wizards chant spells is the best way to get rid of his fear. But I guess Papa Randyll knows best. 

I also don't think forcing your cowardly child to bathe in aurochs blood as creepy, blue-lipped evil wizards chant spells is the best way to get rid of his fear. But I guess Papa Randyll knows best. 

It shows how desperate Randyll was... to get some wizards from the edge of the world. 

Sam is, at his core, a good hearted lad who doesn't wish harmon anyone or anything.  He is one of the truly "good' people in the story, and many people interpret his kindness as a weakness, as is common in the real world as well.  This would only be exascerbated in a world as cruel as Westeros (which admittedly mirrors real life to some degree, but there is more room for such idealism in modern times.)  Gutting prey and bathing in blood wouldn't make even the bravest man more brave, and in Sam's case probably just causes psychological trauma. 

Sam will eventually evolve into a stronger character, but not because of any magical ritual.  He will come to a logical conclusion that in the current circumstances, brutal acts will have to be carried out in order to further the cause of peace.  If he ever does have children, which I sincerely hope he does, he will be an infinitely better father than his own because he will teach them that such brutality always comes with a price, which will lead to more of the same down the road.  I believe Sam is the embodiment of mercy just like the Mother of the Seven, despite the gender discrepancy.  After all, both sexes are capable of showing mercy.

Warlocks may be able to do magic, but they're not miracle workers.

I think warlocks of Essos are kind of the equivalent of modern-day psychics. A man like Randyll Tarly would probably scoff at them  normally. I think he was desperate, took a shot, and got mad when he felt he'd been scammed.

And here is my crackpot theory!

What if warlocks spell was retroactive and have started to work with return of the dragons and Sam being close to Wall? And now he slowly transforms into fearless badass his father wanted him to be?

Maybe that's where Pyat Pree and his buddies were heading to when Euron captured them. They were going to Horn Hill to get Randyll to shell out their payment. And the horn they were carrying wasn't even a dragonbinder, it was just an oversized bong. 

Man I've reread the series several times and never once even gave the bath a 2nd thought.   Nice detail pick up there.   I think Sam was always brave, he wasn't the fierce personality his dad wanted him to be.   Randyll considers Sam's love for reading and songs to be weakness.   Of course we know those things aren't weak even a little bit.  I think it's interesting that Randyll would know to send for the warlocks at all.  Isn't that just a smidge out of place?  You could have a point that with the return of magic the warlock's bath may have had some stronger or more immediate effect on Sam.   If this is the case I'm glad it happened too soon.   There are not enough just good guys who want to learn and take a gentle approach to life in Westeros.  

Maybe bathing in blood sounded really metal and Randyll was like, "Hell yeah! Let's try it out!"

Randyll Tarly wanted to make his son, Sam, a tough lad. He once hired some warlocks from Qarth to make a man out of Sam.

The warlocks failed to make a man out of Sam. This is because their magic powers or the  existing magic in the world was weak. If the Targaryen Dragons hadn't died out, then the Warlocks would have definitely succeeded.

Or maybe they were just charlatans. I think a scenario of wandering snake oil peddlers is more likely. I'm not sure why they thought they'd succeed though. Maybe they were trying to do the modern equivalent of shock therapy.

Totally. For a narrow minded, martial man like him to try magic he'd have to be pretty desperate. 

Like I said bathing in the blood of a freshly killed bull is metal af. Maybe the "warlocks" were just passing through and they heard about Tarly's son being a wuss and offered their services. I also have a hard time picturing Randyll spending too much effort to get them there. The passage describes them as showing up, not Randyll sending for them.

I think warlocks of Essos are kind of the equivalent of modern-day psychics. A man like Randyll Tarly would probably scoff at them  normally. I think he was desperate, took a shot, and got mad when he felt he'd been scammed.

:agree:

Or maybe there are charlatans pretending they have magic even in a world that has real magic.

:agree:

Archived