Someone Trying to Scam Me!!! Requesting Advice

drawkcabi

I just got a call (about 9:15am) from someone claiming to be my nephew. He said he was in New York and was in jail after being in an accident. This person did not sound like my nephew, but he said he broke his nose. He sounded like he had a Spanish accent not like he broke his nose. He talked about how he and his son visited us last spring (I know he had put pictures up on facebook and talked about his visit there).

I asked him to tell me the name of his son and he said "Junior". His son is not a "Junior". He said his lawyer would be calling with information to help him.

Then I got another call, this time from someone saying he was legal aid for my nephew. He said my nephew would need $900 and some change to post bail and that I would get the money back. This person also had an accent. He said if he didn't get the money in two hours he'd be put in jail and wouldn't be able to get out for a few months.

I asked the lawyer to tell me the full name of my nephew, first, middle, and last. He hung up.

If my nephew was in trouble I'd help him, and if this is somehow not a scam I misheard the "junior", I don't think so, but early morning call being disoriented, surprised, not completely thinking straight, if I am somehow making a mistake...I'll just be sick

Please tell me if this sounds as fishy as I think it does, and if so should I report this to someone, if yes, who?

I'm trying to get in touch with other family members, to confirm things one or another, but we aren't the closest bunch.

I'm just flabbergasted if it is a scam the brazenness of it all. Holy shit!!!

I just got a call (about 9:15am) from someone claiming to be my nephew. He said he was in New York and was in jail after being in an accident. This person did not sound like my nephew, but he said he broke his nose. He sounded like he had a Spanish accent not like he broke his nose. He talked about how he and his son visited us last spring (I know he had put pictures up on facebook and talked about his visit there).

I asked him to tell me the name of his son and he said "Junior". His son is not a "Junior". He said his lawyer would be calling with information to help him.

Then I got another call, this time from someone saying he was legal aid for my nephew. He said my nephew would need $900 and some change to post bail and that I would get the money back. This person also had an accent. He said if he didn't get the money in two hours he'd be put in jail and wouldn't be able to get out for a few months.

I asked the lawyer to tell me the full name of my nephew, first, middle, and last. He hung up.

If my nephew was in trouble I'd help him, and if this is somehow not a scam I misheard the "junior", I don't think so, but early morning call being disoriented, surprised, not completely thinking straight, if I am somehow making a mistake...I'll just be sick

Please tell me if this sounds as fishy as I think it does, and if so should I report this to someone, if yes, who?

I'm trying to get in touch with other family members, to confirm things one or another, but we aren't the closest bunch.

I'm just flabbergasted if it is a scam the brazenness of it all. Holy shit!!!

Sounds like a scam.  I've been getting prerecorded calls claiming to be the IRS asking for money and my SS, name, address, etc about once a week for the last two months.  

That's pretty wild  and does sound like a scam. I know when I've gotten calls from people in jail there is always a recording before that tells you it is coming from the "Whatever Whatever Detention Center". 

Yeah, there was nothing like that and the caller I.D. had the name "Perez" on it.

I just hope my nephew isn't in trouble. How they got our number, I don't know.

I can't believe you're even entertaining the possibility that this might be genuine.

I just worry, especially if someone really needed my help and I didn't.

I can't help it.

I'm used to getting calls from IRS scammers and "Windows" scammers. This was personal and I don't like it.

I just got a feeling that if it is a scam, and I'm feeling almost positive it is, it's someone that knows me or knows my nephew, or knows of us, just a creepy feeling about it...

Yes, its a scam.  100%.  And getting names/numbers is incredibly easy if anyone in the chain is bad about online privacy.  I'm reasonably sure that someone who wanted to could figure out my name and place of employment, and therefore get my number fairly easily, based on what I've posted on this forum alone.  (please do not try, that would be strange and creepy).  It might take awhile, but you could do it.  Which is a very uncomfortable feeling, no question.  

Is your nephew young enough that he basically grew up with Facebook, etc?  He might just have a very lax relationship with the concept of internet privacy, which could unfortunately be how you got involved.  

Learn to say no people.

I didn't have a chance to say "no", I was skeptical and questioned them and they hung up.

Again, this was different than any other scams I've encountered before which I usually just shrug off and hang up on the phone ones and report the email phishing ones.

This one was more personal and it creeped me out. Now I'm getting more pissed the more I think about it.

I'm not part of Facebook and this only confirms my feelings not ever wanting to join. My nephew is though and he's only a few years younger than me, and he had posted stuff about us recently.

Sorry it scared you, Drawk.  But, yeah, definitely scam.  I've heard of this one before too where a not-extremely-close "relative" calls saying they're in trouble, need money, blah, blah, blah.  

Don't feel bad, though.  All of us (mostly) have been taken in (for a while, at least) by some of these douchebags.  They prey on our better natures, which is a pity. 

I would try to connect your nephew on another way; and definitely contact the police because those people are (IMO) committing a crime. You might not the only one who they are trying to scam and some people are less skeptical than you and might believe this scam. 

Archived