NFL 2016 Playoffs: The Kool-aid Guy vs. the Sith Lord Edition

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Yeah.  I have a hard time getting over CA having 3 (likely 4 going forward), NY having 3, and Florida having 3 while Texas only has 2.  

Of course, that's a 3rd of the NFL in 4 states.

ETA:  And screw baseball.  

Why would a Cowboys fan want an additional team in Texas? Right now 90% of the state are Cowboys fans. 

And new competition would likely upend the expected order. Like Baylor now eating Texas' lunch. 

Why would a Cowboys fan want an additional team in Texas? Right now 90% of the state are Cowboys fans. 

And new competition would likely upend the expected order. Like Baylor now eating Texas' lunch. 

I thought Baylor was in, like, Maine... The things you learn...

Texas doesn't need another team anyways. Nice enough people for the most part, but not nearly as passionate as a lot of other places I've been.

I live in Houston.  I'm pretty sure Cowboys fans outnumber the number of Texans fans in their own city.  A San Antonio team wouldn't make that big a difference in Cowboy fandom anyway, and the draft/free agency doesn't really work like college recruiting.  

It wouldn't make a ton of business since, but such a football crazy state only having 2 teams has always driven me crazy.  

Of course, A&M and Texas draw in just as big of crowds, and Baylor and TCU are holding their spots for now, so it's not like there isn't plenty of Texas football.  

So, I'm going to go out on a limb here for my picks next week.

Pats over Chiefs because a GOAT coach and GOAT QB, although I think it's a close one.

Broncos for my fellow Aggie Von Miller and a great player in Demarcus Ware, x10 if either Big Ben or Brown are out.  

Panthers over Seahawks

MVPalmer over Packers for round 2, although likely closer than 38-8 or whatever it was.  

As you can see, I'm not going out on a limb at all.  

That's suprising, considering high school football is pretty much a religion in Texas. Or so I hear. 

I meant about NFL really, but I lived in the city. There were a lot less knowledgeable fans than I expected when I moved there, but I think that's because their glory days were clearly behind them at the time.

Yeah.  I have a hard time getting over CA having 3 (likely 4 going forward), NY having 3, and Florida having 3 while Texas only has 2.  

Of course, that's a 3rd of the NFL in 4 states.

ETA:  And screw baseball.  

Ok first off it's the second largest football market in the US, and they have done great with the teams they already had like the Rams, and Raiders. Oh sweet memories nothing like watching LA suck balls at something. This is going to be great, I have already been working on names for the team. The LA Prius's, The LA Vegans, and the colors, Puce and Teal, nice calm colors that nobody will ever like, but will never offend anyone.

Second are Tampa, Jacksonville, and San Diego real teams? I thought you needed fans to have a team. Then again I heard San Diego means Whales Vagina so I understand why nobody goes to those games. It's scientific fact.

Another LA Team, hahaha let them try "Gosh do we clap, Yippy our Catcher just tossed a home run to the other team I bet that's good for a slam dunky, Go Pukes, oh sorry Prius's.

Moving to right thread!

You people pick the game winners straight up? Where's the fun in that? Picks should be against the spread.

I do a pick five every year (pick five games each week against spread. Weekly payouts for going 5-0 and payouts for top 3 season records.) My six year old really got into football this year. He's a Jets fan. Despite all my best efforts to pour Black and Gold into his veins I ran into the first instance of children following peer group friends over parental influence. Depressing on several levels. Well he got into doing the pick five with me each week, which was a ton of fun bonding. We hit 5-0 once and finished third for the season. (I choose to ignore the moral implications of teaching a six year old about gambling.)

Chiefs +5 - I think this is a very fair line but feel like Smith keeps them in the game until the end when Pats win on a last second FG. Honestly could see Pats blowing this game wide open, but they haven't been decimating good teams down the stretch.

Cardinals -7 - This is the no brainer of the week. The public is fixated on the Seattle blowout of the Cards and Aaron Rodgers playing on good game last week. Cards are dominant and balanced compared to GB who will not be able to run the ball. Look for Fitz to to have a huge game, showing the world he still has it and wants to go out on top.

Panthers -2.5 - Again a bad line. Should be more than a FG so jump on it now. Seahawk Magic ends this week when they cannot keep Cam in the pocket. Look for Wilson to throw a pick six trying to make a comeback in the second half.

Steelers +6.5 - this is a bit of going with my heart over head. But I think the beat up Steelers have enough in them to stay close with the Broncos. This line will fluctuate towards game time. Look for it to drop to +4 or go to +7 based on injury news at skill positions.

Pats over KC - without Maclin, I'd be surprised if the chiefs score more than like 10 points. And the Pats will be healthier than they've been recently. Sounds like a recipe for a blowout, or at least a win by double digits. 

Denver over Pitt - hopefully Ben doesn't lose his arm in this game.

Carolina over Seattle - similar teams, but I think with the time to rest up Carolina will come out firing and win.

GB over Arizona - Just so my list isn't so vanilla. I might as well go with Rodgers over Palmer.  

LA is like DC, most of the people, particularly those who can afford to go to games regularly, are from somewhere else originally. And yet the [Redacted]s have a passionate fanbase, as do the Capitals (although the Nationals are just sort of there, and I've met very few people who care about the Wizards); whereas in LA, it never seems like any of the teams have much passion behind them, not even the Lakers. I agree with Simmons, its the weather. Its too nice there too often for people to get that concerned about the results of a game.

Even if that's the case though, there's so many people there that a team there will still probably be in the top half of the league in terms of attendance, merchandise sold, etc. By the same token, New York City could easily support a 3rd NFL team (although there'd need to be a second stadium), even though that will probably never happen.

Archived