NFL 2016 Playoffs: The Kool-aid Guy vs. the Sith Lord Edition

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Responding to Rock's post from the previous thread:

At the home opener against the Steelers, my buddy and I had a discussion - specifically regarding the loss of RB Shane Vareen who -its easily forgotten- had caught 11 balls in the Superbowl.  I was saying how the lack of a "go-to," safety-valve RB who can play receiver was troubling.

My buddy then said that he had felt the same way when the Pats moved away from Danny Woodhead in favor of Vareen... 

I then said that I had felt the same way when Kevin Faulk retired in favor of Danny Woodhead... 

And that we both were surprised by the rise of Faulk after the Pats got rid of their prior third down back, J.R. Redmond. 

About that point we realized something- maybe its not the guy catching the ball ... but more the one throwing it.

James White starts Saturday Afternoon.  

Sure, it's more about the guy throwing it, but Dion Lewis did seem special in that role. He converted some third downs he had no right to.

In some LA football news, the committee that heard the presentations today chose to recommend the Raiders/Chargers bid for relocation. Still needs 24 votes, but I'll really enjoy seeing Kroenke have to tuck his tail and go back to the scorched earth he left in St. Louis.

In some LA football news, the committee that heard the presentations today chose to recommend the Raiders/Chargers bid for relocation. Still needs 24 votes, but I'll really enjoy seeing Kroenke have to tuck his tail and go back to the scorched earth he left in St. Louis.

So we're actually going to have division rivals sharing a stadium? Doesn't that seem fucked up to anyone else?

So we're actually going to have division rivals sharing a stadium? Doesn't that seem fucked up to anyone else?

I think there'd have to be a realignment. The only way the Jets and Giants get to share a stadium is because they aren't even in the same conference, much less the same division.

Put one of them in the NFC West instead, and have the Rams move to the AFC West. 

I want to say I remember hearing something a while back that one would probably have to move to the NFC, but I don't know if that is actually a part of it or just hearsay. It essentially gives them each another home game per season which is kinda bullshit but it's not like they travel all that far to play each other.

It's so dumb.

It would be amazing me thinks.

At the home opener against the Steelers, my buddy and I had a discussion - specifically regarding the loss of RB Shane Vareen who -its easily forgotten- had caught 11 balls in the Superbowl.  I was saying how the lack of a "go-to," safety-valve RB who can play receiver was troubling.

My buddy then said that he had felt the same way when the Pats moved away from Danny Woodhead in favor of Vareen... 

I then said that I had felt the same way when Kevin Faulk retired in favor of Danny Woodhead... 

And that we both were surprised by the rise of Faulk after the Pats got rid of their prior third down back, J.R. Redmond. 

About that point we realized something- maybe its not the guy catching the ball ... but more the one throwing it.

James White starts Saturday Afternoon.  

No question Brady is infinitely more important than any 3rd down back. But Reche Caldwell, Reche Caldwell's eyes and Jabar Gaffney would like to weigh in on the importance of reliable weapons. I've lost track of how many years a Patriots Superbowl won/lost came down to a single play. The margin between the two for your team is always razor thin. Sometimes it's a drop on a catchable ball: Welker and Caldwell each had a really memorable one - the former in a Superbowl, the latter in an AFCG (where if the Patriots won, they were winning the Superbowl). On the flip side, the steadiness of Vereen making every play out there to be made in last year's Superbowl (11 catches on 12 targets, many on 3rd down) was a pivotal difference there. 

And what Dante said. Dion Lewis looked really dynamic. And the offense looked more dynamic with him in it. James White has been okay but still think you lost something with that injury. 

I guess my question is: how much faith do you have in James White to make every play that needs to be made?

Interesting. And even if the owners go with Chargers-Rams, the Chargers may try to delay it a year though that may be a leverage play to force the Rams to agree with their preferred Carson site. 

Hopefully not. However this ends up, I want to see the spectacle of an increasingly panicked Rams organization being forced to confront the possibility of having to stay in St. Louis. 

Now there's a report that, despite the recommendation, the Rams' proposal is still in the lead.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14557728/nfl-owners-los-angeles-relocation-voting-underway

Guess we'll just have to wait it out.

More details from Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605279-nfl-in-los-angeles-latest-news-rumors-speculation-surrounding-potential-moves

The first round of votes resulted in neither plan getting the required 24 votes, however, the Rams and TBD franchise sharing a stadium in Inglewood received more votes than the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers plan in Carson, according to Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. The Chargers will be given the right to move to Inglewood and join the Rams, per Bleacher Report's Jason Cole. Meanwhile, the Raiders would receive funds from relocation fees to use towards a new stadium in Oakland, per Mark Maske of theWashington Post

"I've packed my bags, but I haven't checked out," said Steelers owner Art Rooney when asked when the vote will be completed, per Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported the team is listed as TBD because the Chargers or Raiders entering a partnership with another team would violate the agreement they have in place for the Carson stadium. 

Bob Glauber of Newsday reported there is a "chance [the Los Angeles] situation [will] be resolved today," and right now it seems the Rams and Chargers in Inglewood "leads the way." Cole indicated if a deal is reached Tuesday, it will likely be "in principle." Farmer reported the first round of votes was 20-12, in favor of the Rams sharing an Inglewood stadium. 

And another update, same link -- Rams are in, Chargers to follow, Raiders and Chargers dissolve that weird partnership with Iger from Disney.

The Rams approval to move to L.A. is "done", according to Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News, who added the Chargers will join them "now or later."

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports confirmed the Oakland Raiders agreed to exit "exclusive partnership" with the San Diego Chargers. 

Raiders kicked to the curb like the hometown boyfriend before leaving for Los Angeles...

Probably for the best. I think they should stay in Oakland, and I say that out of affection for Oakland. 

Watching Inside the NFL now. Brandon Marshall interviewing Pacman Jones ("Call me Adam," he asks, in the midst of an apparent respectability tour) is compelling viewing. Marshall was more straight up with him than you ever see.

I think there'd have to be a realignment. The only way the Jets and Giants get to share a stadium is because they aren't even in the same conference, much less the same division.

Put one of them in the NFC West instead, and have the Rams move to the AFC West. 

Funny, I was going to suggest sending Seattle back to the AFC West where they came from and move Chargers to the NFC.

Sounds like a moot point now.

More details from Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605279-nfl-in-los-angeles-latest-news-rumors-speculation-surrounding-potential-moves

And another update, same link -- Rams are in, Chargers to follow, Raiders and Chargers dissolve that weird partnership with Iger from Disney.

Raiders kicked to the curb like the hometown boyfriend before leaving for Los Angeles...

Probably for the best. I think they should stay in Oakland, and I say that out of affection for Oakland. 

So the Rams got what they wanted - a stadium in Inglewood. As suspected they've known this was a mere formality for some time. Otherwise why napalm your home of 20 years? At least St. Louis will think fondly of them. 

Poor Lloyd Christmas has to return to his (literal) garbage stadium and he's now no closer to his fantastically talented Palm Desert based hair stylist, but at least he'll get a fat check for his efforts.

Archived