Which one of these series should I read next?

The Glad King

So, I finished ASOIAF about a month ago, and I just read all the Dunk and Egg stories. I now feel like I'm going into fantasy withdrawal, and I need something to satiate it. Of course, I could do a reread of the series, but I feel like starting a new series would be better so that I can relive the same type of shock and intrigue, without knowing where the story is going. I want a fantasy series with moral ambiguity similar to ASOIAF, and where the battle between good and evil happens on an inner level rather than in "The good guys" vs "The Bad Guys". While browsing through the forum, along with going online, I found four series that I might want to start. If anybody has read any of them, or has another series that they think they might enjoy, let me know. Anyways, here they are in no particular order:

1) The Dagger and the Coin

2) Shadows of the Apt

3) Discworld

4) The First Law (currently the one I am leaning towards).  

Update: Thank you everybody for the help. I have chosen Farseer, and am already done Assassin's Apprentice. Although it started off quite tedious, the last third got really good, with the training with Galen and the whole ordeal in Jhaampe. I have already bought Royal Assassin, and am looking forward to starting it. 

I haven't read the first two, but I would recommend you read both Discworld and The First Law. To some extent, they both meet your criteria. I personally enjoy reading Discworld more, because it's hilarious as well as thrilling. 

I do feel I should add something that I always add whenever a post like this crops up, and yes it's probably just me being a snarky bastard. Anyway, it's fairly frequent on this board that someone finishes ASOIAF, then gives a list of criteria about ways that the next series they're going to read should be similar to ASOIAF. That frustrates me a little bit, because there are so many good fantasy series out there that aren't that similar to ASOIAF, but are brilliant all the same. 

Not that Discworld and The First Law aren't great series - they are. Just that it seems absurd to try to cherry pick aspects of ASOIAF and transport them to another context, when your next favourite series could easily be something almost completely different. 

Yeah, that is a very good point. I am mostly saying that because it was my favorite series I've read so far (but I am only 17 though, so I haven't had the time to read an extensive amount of series). However, now that I think about it, I actually read this book while trying a new genre, since I mostly read dystopian novels before starting the series (which still share some elements with ASOIAF). I guess that it could also be a good idea to try a new genre. I hear "The Martian" is really good, and I would maybe like to try it. 

Discworld is a satirical comedy series, so it's not that similar to aSoIaF, but it's a pillar of the genre and should be read by everyone. Top tip, though; don't start from the start. Pratchett hadn't found his comedic feet yet then - it's not bad, but it's not amazing. It's not a proper sequential series, so starting later- say, with Small Gods or Mort or Guards! Guards! is a better idea.

Out of the others, Dagger and Coin and Abercrombie's series both share elements of aSoIaF that you liked, though First Law is more outright snarky and Dagger and Coin a little more chilled out and character-driven. Abraham's other series, the complete Long Price Quartet, is also highly recommended, it's a gem.

Tchaikowsky's is the only series on your list that I didn't like better than aSoIaF, although I am told it improves from the fairly popcorn fun it is in the first three books later on. If you're after a massive series with huge magic, then, although it differs greatly from aSoIaF in a lot of ways, and does frustrate a few readers, I recommend trying the Malazan Book of the Fallen instead. Personally, I think it's amazing.

I recommend trying the Malazan Book of the Fallen instead. Personally, I think it's amazing.

It's the ultimate Curates Egg series in that bits of it are certainly amazing (Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, and Midnight Tides in particular). Shame about the other parts...

First Law is a good read, and Abercrombie has a great voice.

If you're thinking about Dagger and Coin, I'd second the recommendation for the Long Price Quartet series (A Shadow in Summer is book 1).  It's a completed series and really, really well done.  Lots of gray area in terms of right and wrong.

Beyond your list, the best thing for me that came from joining these boards and getting recommendations was being introduced to Robin Hobb.  Assassin's Apprentice is where to start there. 

I know it does not perfectly meet your criteria, but since it sounds like you did not read Fantasy outside of ASOIAF, I would recommend reading the Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien, before the more modern stuff.

On 1/12/2016 at 4:11 PM, The Glad King said:

So, I finished ASOIAF about a month ago, and I just read all the Dunk and Egg stories. I now feel like I'm going into fantasy withdrawal, and I need something to satiate it. Of course, I could do a reread of the series, but I feel like starting a new series would be better so that I can relive the same type of shock and intrigue, without knowing where the story is going. I want a fantasy series with moral ambiguity similar to ASOIAF, and where the battle between good and evil happens on an inner level rather than in "The good guys" vs "The Bad Guys". While browsing through the forum, along with going online, I found four series that I might want to start. If anybody has read any of them, or has another series that they think they might enjoy, let me know. Anyways, here they are in no particular order:

1) The Dagger and the Coin

2) Shadows of the Apt

3) Discworld

4) The First Law (currently the one I am leaning towards).  

Of the books listed by you, The First Law trilogy and its three standalone follow-up novels come closest to ASoIaF. However, I would recommend instead that you read Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire trilogy first. And if you are looking for something that isn't quite like ASoIaF in that it avoids a pseudo-medieval background, but is still dark with moral ambiguity, The Craft Sequence of books by Max Gladstone are all well written and highly recommended. Their setting is a post-industrial secondary world, full of gods, gargoyles, magic users, and other fantastical beings, and with very unusual plots. 

I read one of the "Craft sequence" (Three parts dead?) and I think that this is so different from ASoIaF, First Law etc. that I would not dare a guess whether a ASoIaF fan will like it or not. Your one-sentences description is apt; I'd add that the one I read felt in many ways more like "urban fantasy".

Dagger & The Coin hits the ASOIAF tone for me than any of the others.  I didn't really like the Long Price Quartet and would say to skip that one, but others here absolutely loved it.  The First Law is also absolutely wonderful.  I'd also suggest sprinkling in some Robin Hobb in there as well, as her Farseer series outranks ASOIAF for me, but can be emotionally exhausting.

Of the series you listed I've only read The First Law, but it's really good. Pretty close to ASOIAF. Smaller scope, but IMO better characters on average (They may not be quite on par with Martin's best, though they are close, but Abercombie's worst are FAR better than Martin's worst).

59 minutes ago, Esa1996 said:

Of the series you listed I've only read The First Law, but it's really good. Pretty close to ASOIAF. Smaller scope, but IMO better characters on average (They may not be quite on par with Martin's best, though they are close, but Abercombie's worst are FAR better than Martin's worst).

Glokta, Bayaz and Bloody-Nine are right there as some of the best characters in fantasy. They give a match to Martin's best characters.

Quite different though, of course.

18 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

Glokta, Bayaz and Bloody-Nine are right there as some of the best characters in fantasy. They give a match to Martin's best characters.

Quite different though, of course.

To be honest, I agree. I'm just being careful. I've gotten into loads of arguments here for saying that something is better than ASOIAF. :D

Archived