Which one of these series should I read next?

The Glad King

As for series that are not on the list? (In order of my preference)

Wheel of Time: This one has loads of magic in it and some violence but not anywhere near as much as in ASOIAF (Wouldn't call it gridmark), however otherwise it has many similarities with ASOIAF. Both series have really complex and long plots, both series are really long (ASOIAF 5 890 pages, WOT 14 600 pages), both series have loads of named characters (ASOIAF 2 303, WOT 2 782), both series have extremely detailed worlds... Oh, and this one is also finished.

Stormlight Archive: This one again has loads of magic in it and again some violence but not anywhere near as much as in ASOIAF (Wouldn't call it gridmark either). Slightly smaller in scope than ASOIAF and a slightly less detailed world (At the moment that is, there are only 2 out of 10 planned books out at the moment). When ready this one will be really long too, possibly even longer than WOT. Has some of the best characters in fantasy, and is tied with Malazan Book of the Fallen for the best action scenes I've ever read anywhere.

Malazan Book of the Fallen: Once again, loads of magic. This one, however, can most definitely be called gridmark. ASOIAF is light compared to this. I don't remember ever thinking "Holy f**k, did the author seriously write this into a book?" when reading ASOIAF but it happened multiple times with Malazan. Tied with Stormlight Archives for the best action scenes I've ever read anywhere. Really long (11 000 pages + loads of prequels and sequels, which, at the moment, amount to around 6 000 pages), with a very big scope (The story takes place on 3 different main continents, but another four are visited too). Really hard to get into as the characterization starts out quite weak (It gets better with time though) but pretty damn good once you do. Each book is somewhat independent (Something I don't particularly like), but it ensures that each book also has a seriously kick ass ending.

Kingkiller Chronicles: Really good characterization although there is only one POV so it's to be expected. The plot and the world are decent, but nothing spectacular.

The Second Apocalypse: Tied with WOT, ASOIAF and Malazan for the most interesting and detailed fantasy world. Lots of magic and violence (Definitely gridmark). Somewhat predictable, unfortunately. The quality of action scenes varies somewhat, but at his best Bakker is very much equal with Erikson (Malazan Book of the Fallen) and Sanderson (Stormlight Archives).

Glokta, Bayaz and Bloody-Nine are right there as some of the best characters in fantasy. They give a match to Martin's best characters.

Quite different though, of course.

To be honest, I agree. I'm just being careful. I've gotten into loads of arguments here for saying that something is better than ASOIAF. [emoji3]

Many things are better than asoif. I'm sure even George would tell you that.

5 hours ago, Esa1996 said:

To be honest, I agree. I'm just being careful. I've gotten into loads of arguments here for saying that something is better than ASOIAF. :D

No, you get into arguments when you suggest Wheel of Time is better. Big difference.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No, you get into arguments when you suggest Wheel of Time is better. Big difference.

:D We shall see if I avoid those arguments this time. After all, I didn't compare anything to ASOIAF in my post, at least not in terms of overall "goodness".

17 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not enough moral ambiguity for the OP. Too much evil incarnate and farmyard animals

Plenty of comedy value, though.  Some of the Goodkind threads have had me in stitches.

On 1/20/2016 at 0:18 PM, aceluby said:

Dagger & The Coin hits the ASOIAF tone for me than any of the others.  I didn't really like the Long Price Quartet and would say to skip that one, but others here absolutely loved it.  The First Law is also absolutely wonderful.  I'd also suggest sprinkling in some Robin Hobb in there as well, as her Farseer series outranks ASOIAF for me, but can be emotionally exhausting.

And here I thought I was the only one who didn't like the Long Price Quartet.  I feel like we're family!

Come now, The Second Apocalypse by Bakker is what you need to read next. But, if your not willing to descend into the madness, The First Law is a great series to give a go.

The Second Apocalypse series is most definitely the best fantasy series I've read since ASOIAF. It's dark, gritty and humorous. Doesn't get much better than that.

I've yet to touch The First Law series as unfortunately I've had the ending of the series spoiled for me, so that's considerably dampened my enthusiasm to read it. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

I recommend trying the Malazan Book of the Fallen instead. Personally, I think it's amazing.

It's the ultimate Curates Egg series in that bits of it are certainly amazing (Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, and Midnight Tides in particular). Shame about the other parts...

I feel exactly the same way. Deadhouse Gates and Midnight Tides had the strongest emotional effects on me. Unfortunately other than that the series as a whole was pretty weak imo. Lots of potential, but it was dragged out far too long with way too much filler than there needed to be. Would not recommend the series.

What's humorous about 2nd apocalypse except the bathos and over the top involuntarily funny things like Gigerian phalloi and black semen?

(I do not want to dis-recommend it but humorous it isn't.)

Archived