Which one of these series should I read next?

The Glad King

As I said, there is a bit of unvoluntarily funny stuff. But his attempts at humorous scenes, e.g. telling, not showing that Kellhus is so funny at the evening campfire (imitating someone or so) that Serwe or others are rolling on the floor with laughter are among the worst scenes in the books, I think, superfluous and embarrasingly bad.

The lack of humor is no general problem for me because with these few exceptions Bakker does not even try to be funny, I think. But even by die-hard fans I never saw the series recommended for humor.

Whatever, I have not even read anything past the 3rd book but I would not recommend Bakker to a relative newbie, regardless of humor. But with the confusing first fitfh or so of the Prince of Nothing I think they "protect themselves" for those not willing to dig into such stuff.

58 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

I don't understand the stigmatism that tSA isn't for newbies. Sure it's darker than your traditional fantasy, but it's still a great series. Nothing too unwieldy or hard to read.

For the record, could you give some examples of what you would consider unwieldy or hard to read in Fantasy?

I'd say Malazan was a slog to read. It didn't make sense a lot of them time and it was hard to see how everything was fitting together. Not something I'd recommend to a newbie to fantasy. Only would suggest it to someone who has read fantasy for a long time and was prepared for a challenge.

It's not all that dark, at least not the first book. (Anderson's "The broken sword" is darker, IMO). But it is damn confusing. The first prologue (which is one of the best sections by Bakker I read) seems completely unrelated to the rest. Then we get the longish Kellhus episode, then another one. It does not really get going until the Kellhus and the Cnaiur storylines meet which is a third or more? through the first book. And through the first two books A LOT of things are mysterious and confusing.

This may be so but then it is conceded that the confusion is a recognized feature of the books and my point was merely that many readers, especially "newbies" who have not read all that much (or not so much in a certain genre) would find this far more off putting than the disgusting bits (of which there is hardly anything in PoN, as far as I recall).

Archived