Guns and 2nd Amendment continued: open carry backlash?

DanteGabriel

9 minutes ago, Seli said:

Please keep in mind that presence of the the gun also poses a (unforeseen and unthinkable) threat to your family. And treat it as such.

Not if you're a Responsible Gun Owner.

Then it's always safe.

When it ceases to become safe, the you are no longer a Responsible Gun Owner, so it doesn't matter any way.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

TP,

But if anyone ever has an accident with a firearm or acts, with a firearm, in a manner that is in any way unsafe everyone should be denied access to firearms?

Denied access 100%? No. I personally have no problem with anyone owning any fire arm at any time, whatsoever. But the weaseling post-hoc justification for Responsible Gun Owner is tiresome and risible.

Just now, TerraPrime said:

Denied access 100%? No. I personally have no problem with anyone owning any fire arm at any time, whatsoever. But the weaseling post-hoc justification for Responsible Gun Owner is tiresome and risible.

TP,

I can see that.  If people who support the right to keep and bear arms would stop opposing an and all regulation as "unreasonable" I think we might actually be able to do something about firearms violence in the US.

1 hour ago, TerraPrime said:

You guys are the ones who brought that argument up, IIRC.

So maybe if you find it tiresome, I'd suggest maybe stop bringing it up all the time.

On 1/31/2016 at 6:12 PM, mcbigski said:

Trying to decide what to get once my permit comes through.  My sister carries a .40 cal pistol for work, and since CT limits me to a ten a round clip, I kind of feel like I should go larger than  9mm anyway.  Got any recommendations?

.40 is a funny caliber.  Have you ever fired it?  A lot of people I know hate it for it's 'flipiness'.

I have one and i use it a fair amount, so it's kind fo grown on me.  But it's still not my favorite.   

9mm and .45 is what i shoot most of, but it really comes down to personal preference.  I would strongly recommend finding a range that does rentals if you can.  Always good to try a variety before you buy.

We're a concealed carry state. So something too large is probably not a great idea, but I kind of like the idea of a 1911.

1911 is great.  but as you say, probably not awesome for carry purposes.

I have two of them, and they are by far the ones I use the most.

3 hours ago, Swordfish said:

9mm and .45 is what i shoot most of, but it really comes down to personal preference.  I would strongly recommend finding a range that does rentals if you can.  Always good to try a variety before you buy.

The range I took the NRA class at does rentals, but they'll only rent out 9mm or .22s while we just have our training certs and not the full license.  My friend and I tried 4 different models last week, but I'm going to wait until I get my permit and then go with some friends and try some of theirs too. 

I'm thinking its probably a good idea to hire an instructor for some more one on one time now too, before I might start developing bad habits.

14 hours ago, mcbigski said:

The range I took the NRA class at does rentals, but they'll only rent out 9mm or .22s while we just have our training certs and not the full license.  My friend and I tried 4 different models last week, but I'm going to wait until I get my permit and then go with some friends and try some of theirs too. 

I'm thinking its probably a good idea to hire an instructor for some more one on one time now too, before I might start developing bad habits.

A very good idea.

16 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

.50 or you truly don't want to protect yourself,  your family or your new tv. 

*yaaawwwnnnnn*

21 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

MC,

Isn't the ammunition load limited on a .50 cal. weapon.  Don't you have to worry about the bullet penetrating your target the wall and whatever is behind the wall as well?

It is about being thorough. The s&w 500 holds five rounds.  That should be enough to deal with any bear or wildebeest menacing my family or belongings. 

29 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

It is about being thorough. The s&w 500 holds five rounds.  That should be enough to deal with any bear or wildebeest menacing my family or belongings. 

But what if there are 6 bears?

I know I'd just propose an orgy, but that's probably not a good solution for you.

3 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

You could totally handle six Terraprime-style bears, MC. Don't sell yourself short. Just view it as circlepit sexplay.

These "heavy" "metal" concerts that you speak of - where do I R.S.V.P and do they have valet parking?

• 4 weeks later...

Crazy to think there were two mass shootings this week and I don't recall anyone talking about it. The new normal indeed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-kansas-shooting-idUSKCN0VZ15K

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/

Archived