Guns and 2nd Amendment continued: open carry backlash?

DanteGabriel

I was just reading through this thread earlier, and now I came across this: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/woman-accidentally-shot-at-13-hours-screening-165501480.html

Police have arrested a man who told authorities he accidentally shot and injured a woman in a Washington state movie theater.

Authorities were called to the Regal Cinemas at The Landing in Renton Thursday shortly after 8 p.m. after a man appearing to be intoxicated fumbled with a gun and shot the woman during a showing of 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.

Investigators believe the man and woman didn’t know each other.

Police say the man returned to his home after the shooting and called 911, saying he had dropped his gun and the shooting was accidental.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I was just reading through this thread earlier, and now I came across this: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/woman-accidentally-shot-at-13-hours-screening-165501480.html

It would have been safer if more people had been armed.

Just going to post that every time some True Scotsman responsible gun owner accidentally shoots someone else allows his life-saving device to go off in public.

On 1/23/2016 at 9:18 PM, James Arryn said:

As everyone knows, it's a lobster trap. Someone ceases to be a 'responsible' gun owner w/e they do anything gun owners don't want to own.

Indeed. I am sure the guy who shot and killed a person trying to help him get his car out of the snow in North Carolina was a Responsible Gun Owner, until he wasn't.

Clearly, the good samaritan who got shot for trying to help his fellow man should have been armed.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Indeed. I am sure the guy who shot and killed a person trying to help him get his car out of the snow in North Carolina was a Responsible Gun Owner, until he wasn't.

Clearly, the good samaritan who got shot for trying to help his fellow man should have been armed.

This plays into the notion that in life it's always easy to tell the "good guys" from the "bad guys", when it's clearly more complicated than that. After all, if Trayvon Martin had been armed, perhaps he could have killed Zimmerman and then made the same self-defense Zimmerman did. After all, isn't a big guy following me a reasonable threat to one's safety? It's insane that we trust everyday people to make life-and-death decisions that even trained police regularly fuck up.

Tensions are high at work. Many of us have been here for a few days. 

Last night I got into a very heated and intense conversation with a libertarian gun owner. The sheer anger from him in a suggestion that owning and using a gun should be at least as regulated as a car was unnerving.  

He truly feels his own desire for protection is greater than any collateral damage. There are not enough lives to lose to make him think otherwise. 

The selfishness was sickening. We read it online and such all the time. But hearing it from an otherwise ok guy I play soccer with was an alienating experience.

On 1/22/2016 at 5:18 AM, Lordsteve666 said:

I guess my biggest fear would be a situation where something happens in a restaurant/shop/cinema/whatever (say armed robbery etc) and 10 guys pull out guns and try go all Dirty Harry on the perpetrator of said crime and the whole place turns into a bloodbath.

I mean Jesus I remember reading after the Batman movie theater shootings how gun advocates said more guns could have saved the lives of people. Could you imagine sitting in a dark room watching a movie when that shit goes down, you've not only got to avoid the gunman but an unknown number of other armed wannabees all trying to shoot in the dark. That's surely going to end with more casualties.

It might, or might not, have ended in higher casualty. However, if it did, then it should be recalled that those people who choose to shoot in the dark in a sea of chaos are not Responsible Gun Owners. Therefore, you cannot legislate the owning of firearms based on the actions of those who are NOT Responsible Gun Owners. Because that'd be unfair. Or, simply, put, heads they win, tails you lose, if you're on the side of regulating guns.

Hell, when the police do respond to such an incident how do they know who's a real criminal and who's just trying to be a vigilante? All you've done is insert 10 guns into play rather than the single gun of the criminal making law enforcement's job a dammed sight harder.

Plus carry a gun might make you feel safer but when the shit goes down how many of those people carrying a gun are going to really be any use at both selecting the right target and actually hitting the right person should they need to fire?

This is an unnecessary worry. Since Police don't arrive till a few minutes later, as all the gun advocates tell us, the matter would have been resolved. The Responsible Gun Owners would have saved the day and resolved the issue.

This happened Friday: One of the people who stopped to try to render aid to a motorist whose car was stuck in the snow was fatally shot by the motorist. It should go without saying that if this motorists had had a baseball bat he would have been equally lethal, and so, you know, not a gun problem.

Meanwhile, over in Mississippi, two pairs of father-son shot at each other in a gun store over a dispute of $25 in service charges for repairing a gun. One of the pairs died at the scene and the other pair were/are in critical conditions. None of them are/were, clearly, Responsible Gun Owners.

Oh hey, and to follow up the Responsible Gun Owner who brought a Life Saving Gun to a Benghazi movie and then accidentally shot the woman in front of him... The guy brought his Life Saving Gun because he was afraid of the mass shooter scenario.

Dane Gallion, 29, told officers he took the gun to Regal Cinemas 14 at the Landing on Thursday night because he was “concerned about recent mass shootings in public places,” according to a police account in a probable-cause statement released Saturday.

That same anxiety prompted him to keep the gun unholstered in his waistband, the statement says.

His father, Donald Gallion, had called the King County sheriff’s dispatch to say his son had returned home extremely upset, claiming the gun had fallen out of his pocket and gone off, police said.

Dane Gallion later told the arresting officer that another moviegoer reached for his crotch and that’s when he accidentally fired the gun, according to the probable-cause statement. Gallion said he fled the theater immediately because he didn’t want to be taken for a mass shooter.

Finally, at the Renton police station, he told another officer that a man had been bothering him, but declined to go into the details, according to the statement. Gallion alleged the gun accidentally went off and scared him, prompting him to leave; he denied having handled the gun. The officer wrote in the report that he didn’t notice any powder burns or injuries to Gallion.

Officers discovered a 9-mm magazine in a trash can at the theater, according to the probable-cause statement, and a single spent shell casing and an unfired bullet under a seat. The injured woman had been sitting in front of that spot.

Police said Gallion told them he had taken medicine for anxiety in the morning and that he’d had a pizza and a 22-ounce beer before the movie.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/suspect-in-renton-theater-shooting-says-he-feared-random-attacks/

That's the definition of heroism right there. You're afraid of being shot in a theater, so instead of avoiding the fearful theater like some timid Eurocommie would do, you load up on your anxiety meds, have a big beer, and pack a loaded, unholstered gun in your waistband -- just in case your fellow citizens at the Benghazi movie need you to heroically kill some Muslim terrorist before the cops can get there. This must be what Ned Stark meant about how a man can only be brave when he's afraid. America! Land of the free and home of the brave!

On 1/22/2016 at 1:27 PM, lessthanluke said:

You're assuming the police aren't going to shoot the guy with a gun on sight.

Why, yes.  Yes i am.

Because as i said, there are many, many ways for a law abiding citizen to avoid this eventuality.  

Contrary to the lazy rhetoric that gets thrown around, many many people holding guns who are approached by cops do not get shot.  it happens all the time.

In truly absolutely positively shocking news, researchers have found a correlation between rates of gun ownership and women murdered by someone they know.

The data suggest that a state’s high gun-ownership rate has greater consequences for the killing of women than the killing of men. When they controlled for all other factors, the study’s authors found that firearm-ownership rates accounted for 41 percent of the difference in states’ rates of femicide, and only 1.5 percent of the difference in rates of firearm-related killings of men. Other factors, such as demographic differences between the states, accounted for the other 59 percent of the femicide discrepancies. “This means that the rate of female non-stranger homicide in a state can be predicted well simply by using the prevalence of firearm ownership in that state,” the authors write.

Who could have ever guessed?

Re: Dante

So, the guy either (1) dropped the gun or (2) had a moment of homosexual panic or (3) tried to defend himself against a man who is bothering him.

Sounds legit.

Or accidental not-shootings. You know, when some raving lunatic comes to help me with my car and I fuckin haul iron right there, point that bad ass equalizer right in the jerks face and spout off some witty-ish quip like "hey, I don't remember calling for help... Triple A-hole, hah hah hah (manly laugh)"... Only to hear the embarrassing "clickclicklicklickclick" of Leaving The Safety On. At that point there is nothing to do but, in a fit of pique, toss the gun in a snow bank and maybe whip your hat on the ground and jump on it a few times in a comically exaggerate manner (you know, like a baseball manager or something"

And all the while, some dingus is not being shot to death. You wouldn't believe how often that happens. 

Archived