Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

12 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Riri? Really-really?

;)

It's surprising this still gets the positive/negative attention in the news (it's the 2nd most read article this morning on the BBC website that sums everything up pretty well) given how frequently it happens. The last tweet is quite cutting and does highlight the perception these changes are by white men and that maybe a more diverse group of writers would help matters too.

I'd like to know whether the diversity of the readership has increased over the last couple of years? It'd be pointless if the majority of people reading are the ones who get so upset about diversity (yet figures they'd continue to buy/read the books). I guess non-readers being inspired at seeing some easy-to -dentify with role models is still a good thing.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

;)

It's surprising this still gets the positive/negative attention in the news (it's the 2nd most read article this morning on the BBC website that sums everything up pretty well) given how frequently it happens. The last tweet is quite cutting and does highlight the perception these changes are by white men and that maybe a more diverse group of writers would help matters too.

I'd like to know whether the diversity of the readership has increased over the last couple of years? It'd be pointless if the majority of people reading are the ones who get so upset about diversity (yet figures they'd continue to buy/read the books). I guess non-readers being inspired at seeing some easy-to -dentify with role models is still a good thing.

I have no issue with her being a black girl, it's the name I have issues with. 

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I have no issue with her being a black girl, it's the name I have issues with. 

I wasn't suggesting you were. Just laughing at the Riri/Really comment. The rest was just a general comment on the story not you :)

4 hours ago, Eoin AS said:

I assume it's a nickname? Kind of like Tony?

Tony's a nickname? Or do you mean it's a shortened form of a full name eg Anthony? Short for Rihanna?

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

You guys have me interested in Clean Room now. Just read the description for the 1st tpb, will have to check it out. This one was completely off my radar, as this is the first I'm hearing of it. 

Highlights how you have to get in the news or be Batman in order to get much coverage on comic websites.

The first TPB of Clean Room is an excellent way to get into the series - it's a very good narrative arc that has plenty of gotcha moments along with good reveals about how the world works. IMO, the next issues are even better, but it opens about as well as anything. It's also a really good reread given the reveals down the road. Simone has a great idea for a story and it's very clear that the mythos is super well established and set up.

Seriously, this set of lines from Clean Room is so fucking rad.

Spoiler

"What are you?"

"...Are we aliens or demons, is that what you mean, Chloe Pierce? Overlords or angels?

We are none of those things.

We are inmates."

1 hour ago, Eoin AS said:

A shortened version of a name is a form of nickname, isn't it?

People can be called "Tony" irrespective of being called "Anthony" while "Tiny T" is less frequently an actual name. It's no big deal though.

This thread has probably doubled sales of Clean Room. Vertigo should hire some of you for their Advertising - they need it.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

People can be called "Tony" irrespective of being called "Anthony" while "Tiny T" is less frequently an actual name. It's no big deal though.

That's true. Marvel's best known Tony is actually called Anthony, though.

The Walking Dead had one of those twists that is great in the short run (or the actual issue), but could go either way on the long run.

Good news: Marvel is finally using Cyclops. Bad news: Written by Soule (the Inhumans go-to guy) and Lemire (the one that has people whine about Cyclops every issue). Terrible news: It's an event designed to show how Cyclops is evil. Yes, another one.

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The Walking Dead had one of those twists that is great in the short run (or the actual issue), but could go either way on the long run.

Good news: Marvel is finally using Cyclops. Bad news: Written by Soule (the Inhumans go-to guy) and Lemire (the one that has people whine about Cyclops every issue). Terrible news: It's an event designed to show how Cyclops is evil. Yes, another one.

Is it really Inhumans vs X-men? Funny how Marvel recognises the selling power of X-men by tying them into these vs concepts. I guess we'll be force fed how the Inhumans are better than the X-men for several issues? Great. And they'll ensure the inhumans are the goodguys by having Cyclops be insanely evil. It'll be interested to see how they spin that as last I heard the terrigen mists of the Inhumans was killing off the mutant population.

They seem to be even more keen on shitting on cyclops now they have the young "non-evil" version. It was funny how Waid essentially admitted to disliking the current take on regular Cyclops by saying how glad he was to be able to play with a Cyclops he recognises with youngclops. It's a shame they can't get Waid on the X-books. I know he was burned 20 years ago on the title but it should be safe to go back now. I'd be all over him working on a self-contained X-men title.

14 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I may read that just so I can bitch and moan about how much I hate it.

12 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

My hope is that Marvel once again manages to be utterly clueless and ends up making Cyclops look good unintentionally, which is what happened every time they tried something like this.

Yeah he's like the flipside of the Inhumans. Marvel tells us Cyclops is evil all the time and readers think he's great. Marvel tells us the Inhumans are excellent all the time and readers become more convinced they aren't.

That said, I don't buy for a second that there is only going to be one X-book "death of X" come the annual shuffle (I'm not calling it an event or even a rebranding it's just a new "season"). It's much more likely they are doing a focused relaunch of the X books and using "death of X" and the apparent lack of titles to drum up support. It seems the recent version of X-men has largely gone unnoticed - I mean at least with Bendis people were reading to say how stupid it it. Now the X-franchise just is. They need a Morrison/Whedon style refocus (not the same approach but something that draws attention). Like I said, I'd love to see Waid on X-men out of the current stable of Marvel writers. The only other marvel writer I'd have some faith in is Slott but I get the impression he's not an x-men fan and I'd rather keep him on Spidey. Maybe they should look outside and get a celeb author/screenwriter onboard? If they actually care that much - maybe they're happy to let the titles roll on with the hardcore faithful?

I think Marvel isn't going to put serious work  into the X-men franchise until they get back the movie rights.

Cyclops by then will have pulled a Lolita thing with Hope while doped up on that drug from Morrison's run...right until time gets reset and all this gets erased once mutants are allowed into the MCU through some joint profits thing.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

It seems the recent version of X-men has largely gone unnoticed - I mean at least with Bendis people were reading to say how stupid it it. Now the X-franchise just is. They need a Morrison/Whedon style refocus (not the same approach but something that draws attention). Like I said, I'd love to see Waid on X-men out of the current stable of Marvel writers. The only other marvel writer I'd have some faith in is Slott but I get the impression he's not an x-men fan and I'd rather keep him on Spidey. Maybe they should look outside and get a celeb author/screenwriter onboard? If they actually care that much - maybe they're happy to let the titles roll on with the hardcore faithful?

Well, I'd do it, but they would have to ask nicely. :P

Archived