Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

18 hours ago, Sci-2 said:

I think Marvel isn't going to put serious work  into the X-men franchise until they get back the movie rights.

Cyclops by then will have pulled a Lolita thing with Hope while doped up on that drug from Morrison's run...right until time gets reset and all this gets erased once mutants are allowed into the MCU through some joint profits thing.

Well the ice is melting in the TV side of things with Marvel and Fox working together. Give the money that can be made from merchandise off TV shows there's money to be made. Although that really depends on whether Marvel get a decent cut from merchandise - i think that's the main gripe regarding the films. There aren't many details on the new show but it sounds like new characters - so expect them to get their own book or take over the X-men if the show succeeds.

I have a lot of hope for "Legion" and the good thing about that is it's an actual existing character.

15 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Well, I'd do it, but they would have to ask nicely. :P

Us and the people buying the X-men comics still. We should work on a joint pitch. Although I haven't really read the books properly since Messiah complex - although that might be a benefit rather than a hindrance.

Although redeeming Cyclops and Beast (who marvel don't realise is worse than Cyclops) are non-negotiable.

On 2016-07-13 at 1:36 PM, red snow said:

Us and the people buying the X-men comics still. We should work on a joint pitch. Although I haven't really read the books properly since Messiah complex - although that might be a benefit rather than a hindrance.

Although redeeming Cyclops and Beast (who marvel don't realise is worse than Cyclops) are non-negotiable.

As long as I can make Uncanny Marauders the flagship title. :P

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

As long as I can make Uncanny Marauders the flagship title. :P

would you settle for "All New, All different, uncanny avenging Marauders, Now!"? ANADUAMN

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Just got the TPB last Friday and contemplating going back today for the singles. Great stuff, thanks again for the rec.

Yay! Glad you like it. The next 4 issues, at least, are pretty awesomesauce too. #9 is especially awesome.

Latest Lazarus was a tricky one. It still feels largely like set up but there were some great scenes mainly the fight between two lazuri. Lark confused me with a couple of panels but on the whole it was around 8 pages of dialogue free action. Brave of writer and artist to try that.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting letter from JMS on why he's leaving comics and why his output over the last few years has been sporadic. I can understand why he'd want to give novels a try now he can see a computer screen with more than 25 words on it. Odd how little he mentions Sense8 - i wonder how much of that project is him vs Wachowskis? It feels like something of his but it may just be he scripts it.

Got into Alan Moore's Providence - I like the atmospheric effect of metafictional strategies used in League applied to Lovecraft...but there's of course a rape thrown in there. Not as long or graphic as the stuff in Neonomicon, and there is a point to it, but nonetheless it's the sort of thing that makes it harder to unequivocally recommend the book even if one enjoys Lovecraft.

A bit more under a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

I'm also surprised you're allowed to show a 13 year old girl strip naked, even if the "girl" is dead and the body is possessed by someone else. Thankfully borrowed the books, not the kind of thing I want lying around the place.

Really could've done without that.

the spoilered stuff you mentioned sounds like something Moore likes to do these days - probably because he knows it makes people uncomfortable and because he's pretty adamant it's just art.

I read "Kill or be killed" issue 1. I don't know if it's just because I've been watching "Mr Robot" lately but the voice of the main character in the comic sounds very much like that of Elliot in Mr Robot. So much so that I suspect it's informing me of what's actually happening. That said the art is good and the concept of a vigilante having to kill one person every month or die is an interesting one. I'll check out the second issue to see how it develops anyway.

I'm actually confident Moore has a reason for adding it more than being provocative...but it's not the kind of thing I personally want to keep in the house.

That said, it's unfortunate that one scene will prevent me from purchasing the collected edition. Providence is an excellent horror work, with the sense of something awful on the edge of perception much better presented than Neonomicon and arguably Courtyard.

My worry for the overarching narrative is neither of the aforementioned Lovecraftian comics really works in a narrative sense. People who seem to have character arcs meet the Cthullu Mythos and their personalities are completely overwhelmed. I guess one might argue that's the point, that as symbols of cosmic indifference/entropy the Mythos is meant to cut short everything we'd hold dear in a narrative tale. And in fairness to Courtyard it's brevity can sorta of justify that treatment.

Neonomicon, however, uses a literal Deus Ex Machina to "resolve" the story. It ends up being nothing but a dragged out tale where the first act could've been 1-2 pages for all that it matters in the end.

Ah I lost track of Black Science. Might get the trades at some point though I have to admit the narrative started losing me.

Providence #10 - the subtle presence of the Old Ones becomes explicit. Bound to happen...but not sure how to feel about it. It does try to explain what the Mythos wants with us. The good thing is there are still two issues left and the protagonist's Self is not erased by contact as far as I can tell.  

Black Monday Murders #1 - The big banks are run by occult forces, some of whom might be immortal. And there might be vampires (demons?) involved. Interesting first issue, but I'm gonna need more to go on. Very much an intro issue, a lot of people really liked this and maybe the over hyping ruined my expectations as I was thinking I'd get blown away... 

Avatarex #1 - This was interesting, a magi-tech interpretation of Vishnu's avatars as distinct entities (I think), with the final Redeemer being born. Again, interesting first issue but clearly need more to decide if it's a keeper.

Have some other reads but haven't gotten to them yet...     

Vision #10 shows why this book is the best on the stands for Marvel, or maybe for everyone, really. A tragic family saga that happens to involve androids and superheroes

Black Panther #5 is...well, I'm all for seriousness if a story demands, but Coates doesn't seem to understand the concept of humor. Also, his T'challa as an oppressor story doesn't really fit the history of the character- while showing that Wakanda wasn't always nice and pleasant for everyone is understandable, he seems to be trying to have T'challa turn into a kind of ruler that he already was. 

Really, I think Namor would have been a better fit for this kind of story than T'challa himself.

Also, in a shocking turn of events, Civil War II is delayed, just like the first one.

On 12/08/2016 at 0:18 AM, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Man, I am so far behind on comics. Getting slightly caught up on Lazarus, just wrapped up the 'Conclave' storyline. Hot damn this book is awesome.

Black Science up next

Lazarus is one of my favourite books - i really enjoy the world-building and dystopian vibe (yet utopian for the vast minority) that feels like a decent guess at how the world might look in around 100 years. Rucka clearly reads "Nature" and "scientific american" too.

Black Science is balls to the wall frenetic storyelling and the art is wonderful. It doesn't have much depth though.

I need to read Black Monday murders (it's on my pile). I read all star batman and it was ok - I wasn't blown away by it but that might be because i haven't read all of Snyder and Capullo's run? JRJR is a weird artist for me - i love that he's unique but at times I hate how everyone looks like slightly deflated Marshmallow/Michellin man. like he draws everyone using spirals rather than lines. But sometimes it does work and then it's great.

Brexit has found yet another way to upset me though by increasing comic prices. It now costs £4 for a $5 dollar comic. Both were oversized comics but given I have to save money from October onwards I think I'm going to have to stick to trades from then on.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I haven't seen anything about Dr. Manhattan or "Mr. Oz" in a long time.  Have they appeared anywhere since the DC Universe Rebirth one shot 3 months ago?

I haven't been keeping up but I think the Superman titles are providing clues about Dr Manhattan - there's even a weird theory that new52 Superman was powered by Dr's energy (it's that blue black stuff).

The Batman comic had psycho pirate mention something regarding them too. I do wonder if one of the Joker's will be the comedian (or Rorschach).

I don't think anything major has occurred though.

Clean room 11 is out, and it's their action issue. Great fight sequence that quickly turns into major WTFitude. The depth and pacing of the story combined with the fantastic art has me geeking out more than I've done since the Whedon/Cassady run on astonishing xmen.

Archived