Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

19 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I saw that Iceman's getting a book, I wonder how many issues that will get? My guess is 10 or 12 at best.

You're an optimist, I give everything new 6-8 at most and am surprised if there's more.

The last issue of Mockingbird hit with a retcon that I understand the intention of, but the results are honestly pretty foul.

14 minutes ago, Little Valkyrie said:

You're an optimist, I give everything new 6-8 at most and am surprised if there's more.

The last issue of Mockingbird hit with a retcon that I understand the intention of, but the results are honestly pretty foul.

Well, Iceman adds to the diversity of the Marvel titles though, that's why I'm giving him a few more issues. Otherwise I don't think Iceman would have gotten an ongoing at all.

On 20/10/2016 at 8:56 PM, GallowKnight said:

Inhumans vs X-Men looks like its just going to be Avengers vs X-Men 2 with the evil X-Men fighting the peaceful Inhumans

I related news I actually decided to read Death of X, because I do love whining about comic books. Naturally it was kinda terrible. Cyclops is sooo going to die, he couldn't be more marked for death if he was wearing a red shirt with a target painted on it. And he's being obviously painted as the villain yet again.

Actually, seems to me that Cyclops is already dead or at least comatose. The "Cyclops" we're seeing is a projection of Emma like the ones we've seen in Astonishing X-men.

3 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Actually, seems to me that Cyclops is already dead or at least comatose. The "Cyclops" we're seeing is a projection of Emma like the ones we've seen in Astonishing X-men.

Yeah I got that feeling too, or at least he's severely weakened and need Emma to keep up appearances.

On 21/10/2016 at 7:44 PM, Little Valkyrie said:

If it hits issue 6 before the seasonal relaunch!

On 21/10/2016 at 8:02 PM, GallowKnight said:

Well, Iceman adds to the diversity of the Marvel titles though, that's why I'm giving him a few more issues. Otherwise I don't think Iceman would have gotten an ongoing at all.

I've always thought Iceman would be the best option of a "street-level" crime-fighting mutant. Given his Spider-man connection from the old cartoon, similar jokey personality and that his powers allow him to tackle criminals in a visually interesting way he'd make a good candidate. The only problem is he maybe is a bit too much like Spider-man. The gay angle - especially if it's the older Iceman dealing with how it may be he's bisexual could add something different to the mix.  Plus, surely it would be a good PR move for the X-men to fight crime and help rather than being caught up in extinction events, battles with other heroes, and their own soap opera villains. I'd give the title a shot if they were incorporating some of the things mentioned above.

On 22/10/2016 at 3:20 PM, mormont said:

Sad news: Steve Dillon has passed away.

Yeah - this was a real shame given his age. Shame he won't get to enjoy the extra attention/money from the Preacher show either. He was an artist who rose to prominence by having his own style and not imitating what was popular giving him one of those surprising rare qualities of being instantly recognisable.

Garth Ennis must be shocked to loose such a great collaborator. I assume they were good friends too.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I've always thought Iceman would be the best option of a "street-level" crime-fighting mutant. Given his Spider-man connection from the old cartoon, similar jokey personality and that his powers allow him to tackle criminals in a visually interesting way he'd make a good candidate. The only problem is he maybe is a bit too much like Spider-man. The gay angle - especially if it's the older Iceman dealing with how it may be he's bisexual could add something different to the mix.  Plus, surely it would be a good PR move for the X-men to fight crime and help rather than being caught up in extinction events, battles with other heroes, and their own soap opera villains. I'd give the title a shot if they were incorporating some of the things mentioned above.

Old Iceman is all gay too, supposedly.

I think Iceman might be a little too powerful to be a successfully street-level hero. He is supposed to be a Omega level mutant () even if that often gets forgotten) and has on times showed off some very impressive feats that probably would put him way above most street-level villains.

Although I do see some potential in a more street-level oriented X-book and especially in recasting some mutant bad guys as street-level criminal antagonist instead of being members your garden variety Evil Mutant Team.

Yeah - this was a real shame given his age. Shame he won't get to enjoy the extra attention/money from the Preacher show either. He was an artist who rose to prominence by having his own style and not imitating what was popular giving him one of those surprising rare qualities of being instantly recognisable.

Garth Ennis must be shocked to loose such a great collaborator. I assume they were good friends too.

Garth Ennis wrote this tribute, so it seems like they very very close friends.

9 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Old Iceman is all gay too, supposedly.

I think Iceman might be a little too powerful to be a successfully street-level hero. He is supposed to be a Omega level mutant () even if that often gets forgotten) and has on times showed off some very impressive feats that probably would put him way above most street-level villains.

Although I do see some potential in a more street-level oriented X-book and especially in recasting some mutant bad guys as street-level criminal antagonist instead of being members your garden variety Evil Mutant Team.

Garth Ennis wrote this tribute, so it seems like they very very close friends.

I guess young Iceman isn't quite as strong - although I feel like it's giving up on continuity when they have young versions of characters alongside older ones. Not that continuity is that solid in Marvel/DC anyhow but the young X-men was a bit on the nose.

I really feel for Garth Ennis. I think it must be an extra level of hurt when your best friend is also your best artistic collaborator. I'm sure there were other books those two could have conjured up down the line and they are a classic pairing like Claremont on Byrne (although they weren't really tight friends), Brubaker and Sean Phillips, Morrison and Quitely, Azzarello and Risso, Lee and Kirby

• 2 weeks later...

Sheriff of Babylon #12-  No spoilers, but the lead characters all crossed a line here I didn't see coming (maybe one of them, but certainly not all three).

The Walking Dead #160-  I increasingly wonder why I'm still reading this, since Kirkman pulls a similar trick he pulled multiple times.

Avengers #1- I felt I missed a few issues here, but I didn't, it's just Waid decided to write the new Wasp like she was the original one and has been on the team for decades for some reason. But it's not bad overall, just more of the same Kang, Multiple Versions of Kang, Time Travel, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

Champions #2- All right, but still far from a can't miss book.

Occupy Avengers #1- Not a great book, but good enough; Walker manages to make lemonade out of the lemons Bendis gave him.

Death of X #3- Garbage. Even more evidence that "Cyclops is already dead, comatose or very sick"  theory , though. But it also pretty much confirms that all the whining about him in several books (including Champions) is non-sense. Also, I'm convinced that when they begun the "Cyclops is evil" non-sense in the books they had no idea what he actually did and decided to figure out later.

Marvel introduces Superteam that suffers from IBS...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/04/marvel-comics-launch-new-superheros-who-suffer-from-inflammatory-bowel-disease-6234765/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/Have a feeling this is going to be shit. That said, I'm going to get a copy of this. It's too weird not to own.

Just picked up the trades for "Huck" and "Vision vol. 1". Both have great art and an interesting premise.

Next month Vision vol. 2. Also thinking about collecting Mighty Thor Vol.2 and Autumnlands Vol. 2.

Has anyone read Batman Europa? Artwork is superb but it seems rather slight, again.

On 04/11/2016 at 6:12 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Marvel introduces Superteam that suffers from IBS...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/04/marvel-comics-launch-new-superheros-who-suffer-from-inflammatory-bowel-disease-6234765/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/Have a feeling this is going to be shit. That said, I'm going to get a copy of this. It's too weird not to own.

This is an ad campaign rather than an in-continuity comic though?

Sounds like an idea from Mark Millar who suffered from IBS for a while (think it turned out to be crohns)

This is an ad campaign rather than an in-continuity comic though?

Sounds like an idea from Mark Millar who suffered from IBS for a while (think it turned out to be crohns)

Yeah, I think it's being made for like pedi to young adult gastroenterology offices or something. Just thought it was strange enough to post.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I think it's being made for like pedi to young adult gastroenterology offices or something. Just thought it was strange enough to post.

What's curious/funny is that I wouldn't rule it out as a concept Marvel would try and roll out. Although it would probably be scraping the barrel if the best spidey idea was "Spider-man: The irritable bowel syndrome". Although "syndrome" always works well as an event title, I'd say.

On an unrelated topic there was a good interview with Chris Claremont on Bleeding cool the other day. He's still essentially being paid by Marvel not to write for anyone else. Nice pension deal I'd like to see other older creators get. The interesting thing is his take on X-men vs Inhumans in which he blatantly says it's down to which movie properties Disney own. Although he does add the caveat that he isn't involved in any upper management decisions. Still, it does make me wonder why the X-men seem to be getting a push next year? Possibly just down to the "legion" show airing which is a co-marvel production. That or the X-men comics are becoming a little too obscure post-Bendis in the sense they maybe don't want X-men to be their best selling franchise but they don't want it bombing either.

On an unrelated topic there was a good interview with Chris Claremont on Bleeding cool the other day. He's still essentially being paid by Marvel not to write for anyone else. Nice pension deal I'd like to see other older creators get. The interesting thing is his take on X-men vs Inhumans in which he blatantly says it's down to which movie properties Disney own. Although he does add the caveat that he isn't involved in any upper management decisions. Still, it does make me wonder why the X-men seem to be getting a push next year? Possibly just down to the "legion" show airing which is a co-marvel production. That or the X-men comics are becoming a little too obscure post-Bendis in the sense they maybe don't want X-men to be their best selling franchise but they don't want it bombing either.

I've always gotten the impression that a lot of X-Men fans exclusively buy X-Men related comics and not that many other Marvel titles, so it could juts be that Marvel felt they needed to do something with them or lose a chunk of their buying audience. Plus it's not like Inhumans is going to take off in the way Marvel hoped they would.

I'm just hoping that Marvel goes with some interesting line-ups for the future X-teams instead of just going with the usual suspects that we always get.

On a related note, I've been reading X-Men '92 and liking it a lot. It's fun and consequence free book that just works for me. And it shamelessly mines nostalgia by featuring a lot of period appropriate cameos. For example the last issue featured the 90s X-Factor team, at least half of Generation X, Joseph the Clone, Adam X the X-Treme, Maggot, Random and Death's Head. I've seen some criticism regarding this that claims that all the cameos take away from the main team, but I'm not very bothered by this as the main team is boring as fuck. I'd rather take an issue with focus on U-Go Girl or Lila Cheney over the same boring-ass X-Men we always get.

I also don't get while Death of X is a four issue mini series. The story could have been told just as well in an annual.

Archived