Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

I think it's true that X-men fans were probably likely to just delve into that side of the Marvel franchise. There were certainly enough titles to keep them occupied back in the day.

I hope the rebranding is more than simply "member the 90s X-men"? - more than that, I think the books need some writers with a strong vision for the book. It feels like a long time since that has really been the case - possibly since Whedon (Brubaker and Fraction's run felt more like the drive was from the editor, Alonso, at the time). Love him or hate him, Bendis had a vision for the series but that seems to have disappeared since. I don't think it's the writers' fault more that they probably have a strict editorial mandate. Fingers crossed this new approach is the result of some brain-storming where the writers have clear and distinct ideas for the books (eg X-men gold and blue should be distinguishable beyond team members). Hopefully the editors will leave them be as well.

17 hours ago, Tinker Tanner said:

Just finished Saga vol.1 and its nuts. It feels like a cross between GRRM's Thousand Worlds and a R rated Adventure Time. I just ordered the other five volumes because i liked it that much.

It's pretty insane but does manage to maintain the quality - although it's starting to feel less of a monthly read and probably better in trades these days. The focus is very much on opera when it comes to space opera. 

Except they're clearly not trying to 'whack the X-Men': they've announced a batch of new X-Men titles.

They have never wanted to kill off the X-Men: apart from anything else, they're valuable intellectual property, even if Marvel can't currently put them in movies, so Marvel need to keep them in print.

That said, this as a resolution to the Cyclops plot makes no sense. This makes Cyclops a hero, not a villain.

ETA - or at least it would, if he had actually done it, which it turns out he didn't.

4 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Marvel has revealed the creative teams and line-up for X-Men Blue and Gold, and unsurprisingly the choose to go with the most most boring and unimaginative teams possible.

Yep. Also, rather than doing some change, it's clear the books are just continuations of ANXM and EXM. Uncanny, the most interesting one, is gone, despite the writer being there.

15 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yep. Also, rather than doing some change, it's clear the books are just continuations of ANXM and EXM. Uncanny, the most interesting one, is gone, despite the writer being there.

Yeah, I generally really like Cullen Bunn's stuff but not even he is enough to make me interested in the O5 X-Men. I'm still curious to see what they do with Generation X and Weapon X though.

On 29/11/2016 at 1:59 AM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Guggenheim is new, right? So we can hope he brings something new. We can also cross our fingers that Bunn is being allowed of the corporate leash a little bit.

I feel like the X-books could do with a Slott scenario - a writer who gets on a franchise, sales respond and more creative freedom follows. I'm not suggesting a Slott style per se but someone who fits the X-men in a way he does Spidey.

The Iceman book is hopefully focusing on his sexuality mainly as a sales hook. While I think it should definitely play into the book - i hope he's still out there crimefighting and having adventures. A bit like the Midnighter book.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Embodied by having one of the corniest and most boringly drawn covers for Gold.

I've got to say, that Rachel Grey costume is the worst she's ever had. It looks like a spare Robin suit Batman left lying around. Also, 'Prestige'? What is that about? Did they pick that codename out of a hat? It has no relationship to her powers, personality or history that I can see.

50 minutes ago, red snow said:

Guggenheim is new, right? So we can hope he brings something new. We can also cross our fingers that Bunn is being allowed of the corporate leash a little bit.

Guggenheim wrote the X-tinction Agenda mini for Secret Wars, which I quite liked. But he also wrote Young X-Men, which was terrible. So he can be very hit & miss overall.

They have also revealed the Generation X roster and creative team, but I'm finding it hard to care.

25 minutes ago, mormont said:

I've got to say, that Rachel Grey costume is the worst she's ever had. It looks like a spare Robin suit Batman left lying around. Also, 'Prestige'? What is that about? Did they pick that codename out of a hat? It has no relationship to her powers, personality or history that I can see.

She looks terrible all-around. The cape, the buttons, the boots, the color scheme (2 colors MAX, Rachel!), he markings looking more like a shi'ar tattoo, rather than slave markings.

I dont like the drawing in general, it doesnt look the least bit organic, looks like they're wax statues of 100m dash track & fielders

Christina Strain is at least a new voice. I'm only aware of her as a colorist unless I'm getting mixed up? The line-up doesn't sound so exciting though. It feels a bit like they've tried to grab 90s readers with the initial promotion but the details suggest that isn't really the case. Not sure it being full on nostalgia would have been that good an idea but I can see some being upset by the tease.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Guggenheim is new, right? So we can hope he brings something new.

You're pinning your hopes on the guy who's partly responsible for Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and the Green Lantern movie?:P

Okay, so I didn't hate early Arrow, but it was pretty far in tone from what I'd want out of an X-Men team book. But then again, when it comes to Marvel's output I've decided to mostly follow writers I like rather than characters or teams. Seems to lead to way less frustration.

7 hours ago, Jon AS said:

You're pinning your hopes on the guy who's partly responsible for Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and the Green Lantern movie?:P

Okay, so I didn't hate early Arrow, but it was pretty far in tone from what I'd want out of an X-Men team book. But then again, when it comes to Marvel's output I've decided to mostly follow writers I like rather than characters or teams. Seems to lead to way less frustration.

I knew the name was familiar! Yeah - let's write that one off. Although it might be good for 24 issues?

Given Arrow lost it's quality when it was clear the show couldn't handle juggling more than 3 leads it doesn't bode well for an X-men book.

I was back at my hometown comic shop last week and the owner was saying how grim his marvel sales are these days. Scooby Doo matches his top selling Marvel books (and that's not because Scooby is selling well). He put part of it down to Brexit affecting uk prices and the fact Marvel's books are more expensive but the other cause is the fact he used to sell 80+ of the core X-books and now sells 6. It's one comic shop in the North of England so probably not representative but that shows how dropping the ball with the X-books isn't just an own goal from Marvel's POV but bad for comic stores and comics in general as the x-books often propped up stores and got people in the shop. His DC books do well but not so much as a franchise eg Batmans books aren't all good sellers.

Archived