Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

Not exactly Civil war related but I've noticed DC doesn't seem to have announced much in the way of BvS tie-ins. I'd have thought there'd at least be some trinity based comic launching.

Maybe they are being sensible and just putting a new trade dress on the Dark Knight Graphic novels?

Marvel has a teaser out called "Dead no More". At this point I wouldn't put it past them to be promoting the return of a character they are yet to kill in Civil War II.

From WiB's list

Dead and "dead" major heroes of Marvel currently:

• Wolverine
  • Namor
  • Cyclops
  • Jean Grey
  • Xavier
  • Richard Rider
  • Mar-vell
  • Gwen Stacy
  • Reed Richards (Sue? Franklin? Valeria?)
  • Pretty much the entire UU

I didn't even realise some of these characters were currently dead!

I hope it's not Wolverine because they'll still keep the old man Logan title. Although it'd be more plausible for him popping up on various teams.

Thought The Walking Dead #150 was a bit underwhelming. Basically just a set up issue.  Tony Moore did a play on his original #1 cover as a variant though. Pretty cool. He's friends with the owner of my LCS and does signings there occasionally, might have to get this one signed at some point. 

Thought The Walking Dead #150 was a bit underwhelming. Basically just a set up issue.  Tony Moore did a play on his original #1 cover as a variant though. Pretty cool. He's friends with the owner of my LCS and does signings there occasionally, might have to get this one signed at some point. 

Good to hear the creators are friends again. It seemed like things were pretty unpleasant between Kirkman and Moore a few years ago.

I guess issue 150 was at best an excuse to have 150 different covers. I don't mind too much as it probably allows image to publish all the other books for a year.

Secret Wars #9 was...pretty good, which is a surprise considering it's the final issue of a Marvel event. The new role of the FF particularly was interesting, and a great showing for Reed, T'challa and MM.

Descender #9 was a good issue, even if too much of a middle-of-the-arc one.

The Walking Dead #150 was pretty underwhelming.

From last thread, about KSD/Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel:

I think you mean 'gave her some actual personality for the first time since Chris Claremont wrote her and made her an astonishing success thereby'.

But I don't really recall anything from her previous characterisation that makes this make sense, although I know that she was on Iron Man's side in the original Civil War - which I don't think is justified in character terms either.

Busiek Avengers, though?  She was in that, and he did a lot with her.  Alcoholic, fights hard and likes it, rather militaristic and hard-edged.  Even her feminism is fairly hard-edged, more of the "women can do things that men can do" than a structural analysis.  Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel run isn't great, especially in how it misreads Moonstone (although Ellis kind of went there first so it's understandable), but it's there too.

KSD's Captain Marvel took someone who's always been a mess about her powers and her confidence in them, as she got the crazy mindset of a Kree warrior along with the powers, and turned her into "that super hero who all the little girls in the US want to be like" but didn't show any of the work involved.  The mindwipe was pure lazy.

Can somebody explain to me what this Secret Wars ending means for the future of the Marvel universe? I am horribly confused.

Well the Marvel universe has been playing out for 3 months already due to the lateness of Secret wars. In all honesty it's the same as any big event - the illusion of change. What really happens is there's always a soft reset on one character (eg divorcing Peter Parker or deageing characters) so while there's a big change over time most the characters are kept in their status quo.

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing either as they have to invent a way of keeping the characters evergreen. This is probably the best way and tends to keep long term fans happier than DCs complete resets every 20 - odd years. Although when you think about DC it really isn't any different from Marvel in the long term.

If Marvel gets the FF in film then it should be nice and easy to bring the Fantastic Four back to the forefront in an "event". Coming back from goodhood has to be an event, surely? I just feel sorry for Reed and Sue in the sense it feels like Marvel can't afford to lose Human Torch and the Thing but think the rest of the team is disposable. I guess it's a bit like how Wolverine and Deadpool would survive a purge of the X-men properties.

Well the Marvel universe has been playing out for 3 months already due to the lateness of Secret wars. In all honesty it's the same as any big event - the illusion of change. What really happens is there's always a soft reset on one character (eg divorcing Peter Parker or deageing characters) so while there's a big change over time most the characters are kept in their status quo.

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing either as they have to invent a way of keeping the characters evergreen. This is probably the best way and tends to keep long term fans happier than DCs complete resets every 20 - odd years. Although when you think about DC it really isn't any different from Marvel in the long term.

DC has honestly reset twice: 1986 COIE, and then 2012 Flashpoint.  There are some events that tickle at things, largely multiversal, as well.  And then there's the Legion, but let's not confuse anyone with Legion continuity (I'm about 2/3 through a Complete Legion read).

Marvel's character resets tend NOT to be event-based in the sense of line-wide things.  Spider-Man's 'oh he was never married because Joey Q is feeling old' was a story within the book itself, and then other things tend to just be sliding timeline "Oh, we're revising canon here and we're letting you know about how it is now--if someone is sharp you'll get an explanation, if not, well..." tucked on in.  Events tend to feature character death and character assassination :)

I'm just glad Hickman stuck up for them and put the FF on the shelf carefully, even if the whole run was a thundering anti-climax.

Spider-man's OMD story was an event still (a pretty lazy one in terms of fixing continuity). No more mutants was a line-wide event. AvX's "mutants again" was a big event too (only to be undone 2 years later). Weren't there various retcons tucked away within that event where "various secrets about characters were revealed"? Can't remember the name - it was one of the bad ones eg Fear itself or something like that.

So yeah, Marvel does a few changes within each event every year (or 3 months as it now feels) while DC tends to go all out. DC usually gets a huge spike in sales, while Marvel at least never alienate their entire readership.

Spider-man's OMD story was an event still (a pretty lazy one in terms of fixing continuity). No more mutants was a line-wide event. AvX's "mutants again" was a big event too (only to be undone 2 years later). Weren't there various retcons tucked away within that event where "various secrets about characters were revealed"? Can't remember the name - it was one of the bad ones eg Fear itself or something like that.

So yeah, Marvel does a few changes within each event every year (or 3 months as it now feels) while DC tends to go all out. DC usually gets a huge spike in sales, while Marvel at least never alienate their entire readership.

I wouldn't call OMD an event because it wasn't across multiple books with a banner on them, but I could be misremembering.  House of M was an event, definitely.  AvX was an event.  You're thinking of Original Sin with respect to the "secrets about characters"--and we still haven't found out what Nick Fury whispered to Thor to make him 'unworthy', which raises the question of just how long you can dangle a mystery before it stops being interesting and is just an irritant.  (The mystery of "who is Lady Thor?" was not well-handled either.  Watching characters in the X-books talk around what Cyclops did so they won't spoil us is just becoming unintentionally hilarious.)

Marvel is very good at successively alienating parts of their readership, speaking as someone whose favorite books/teams have been systematically cancelled/shelved/malformed. :)

It's true that OMD was kept within the spider books (which at the time was only 1-3 books). I guess there are events within a family titles and then there are line-wide events.

That's pretty bad they still haven't revealed what made Thor unworthy. Hopefully someone knows!

The "cyclops did something bad" ambiguity is tiresome for me and I'm only exposed to it via comic news sites. What exactly is gained from not telling the reader? Especially if it wasn't something that was in the secret wars finale?

I guess in an ideal world Marvel/DC could afford to alienate their readership as long as they were welcoming along the next generation of readers. It must be a tricky one to manage as keeping hold of the existing readership means characters and continuity should age and accumulate. To keep characters "fresh/timeless" they have to undo things though.

Secret Wars #9 was satisfying enough. Hickman's entire body of work- right from FF to this - is one of the  best works Marvel has put forth. One would have hoped that the company's obsession with events is over now, but apparently Iron Man is fighting Captain Marvel for some bullshit reason, so.....

Sheriff of Babylon is great. It might be my favorite among  the new comics. The setting, the way King says so much with so little, the art, all is top notch. To nitpick, however, Naseer's character is way more interesting than Christopher's or Sofia's.

Secret Wars #9 was satisfying enough. Hickman's entire body of work- right from FF to this - is one of the  best works Marvel has put forth. One would have hoped that the company's obsession with events is over now, but apparently Iron Man is fighting Captain Marvel for some bullshit reason, so.....

Sheriff of Babylon is great. It might be my favorite among  the new comics. The setting, the way King says so much with so little, the art, all is top notch. To nitpick, however, Naseer's character is way more interesting than Christopher's or Sofia's.

What's Sheriff of Babylon about? That one's completely passed me by

What's Sheriff of Babylon about? That one's completely passed me by

Without spoiling too much, it is centered around an investigation of an execution style killing of a security force trainee in post-war Iraq, which gets complicated when more bodies start turning up.

Without spoiling too much, it is centered around an investigation of an execution style killing of a security force trainee in post-war Iraq, which gets complicated when more bodies start turning up.

Sounds like it could be an interesting spin on "homeland" style storytelling. It shows how far Vertigo has fallen when I don't even hear about a new book of theirs coming out. DC really dropped the ball by letting Image take over the creator owned market.

One would have hoped that the company's obsession with events is over now, but apparently Iron Man is fighting Captain Marvel for some bullshit reason, so.....

ha

hahahaha!

I'm sorry, that's mean of me.  But Marvel will keep putting out 3/4 events a year, with at least one completely line-wide one, as long as people keep buying them.  And unfortunately they do reliably goose sales, which are apparently hurting thanks to the SW delays and relaunching-at-#6, which is confusing and alienating the casual audience they're hoping to grab.

I have to disagree about Hickman; I loved his F4/FF but saw the weaknesses in it even then (very end-loaded which means the payoff has to be spectacular), and I found his Avengers to be outright soulless, especially now knowing what the end payoff is.  So many of the moving parts didn't play into the ultimate climax but were also unsatisfying in and of themselves.  I think Thor/Hyperion was some of the more solid material, by contrast, because it actually got into characterization.  The Iron Man/Cap was reheated Civil War style, and I think was summed up well by this parody edit:

http://illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/post/125247541745/jonathan-hickmans-avengers-page-7-of-10-god

Archived