Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

On 17/1/2016 at 4:57 PM, red snow said:

Sounds like it could be an interesting spin on "homeland" style storytelling. It shows how far Vertigo has fallen when I don't even hear about a new book of theirs coming out. DC really dropped the ball by letting Image take over the creator owned market.

Yeah, Vertigo has disappeared. Which is crazy given the caliber of books they've produced. Simians are running DC these days man. Image though rose out of nowhere in mid-00's.

On 17/1/2016 at 2:50 AM, Little Valkyrie said:

ha

hahahaha!

I'm sorry, that's mean of me.  But Marvel will keep putting out 3/4 events a year, with at least one completely line-wide one, as long as people keep buying them.  And unfortunately they do reliably goose sales, which are apparently hurting thanks to the SW delays and relaunching-at-#6, which is confusing and alienating the casual audience they're hoping to grab.

I have to disagree about Hickman; I loved his F4/FF but saw the weaknesses in it even then (very end-loaded which means the payoff has to be spectacular), and I found his Avengers to be outright soulless, especially now knowing what the end payoff is.  So many of the moving parts didn't play into the ultimate climax but were also unsatisfying in and of themselves.  I think Thor/Hyperion was some of the more solid material, by contrast, because it actually got into characterization.  The Iron Man/Cap was reheated Civil War style, and I think was summed up well by this parody edit:

http://illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/post/125247541745/jonathan-hickmans-avengers-page-7-of-10-god

That was tongue-in-cheek ;)

Hickman has tonnes of problems. Plot holes so big you could drive a truck through them, inconsistencies that are left unexplained, unreasonable team-ups, etc. But for all it's faults, I'd rather read Secret Wars than any other 'Event' marvel has put forth so far. It seems however there are quite many out there who had the exact opposite reaction to mine. It's like Final Crisis all over again.

I guess Image probably provided better creator owned deals and that's why many jumped ship. I'm guessing creators had no choice in who could make films at vertigo as it would always go to WB. On the plus side I imagine vertigo came with better pay on average than Image does - it seems you have to have a hot book and/or good trade sales for it to pay.

But it is mind boggling they let the premier prestige publisher of comics disappear. Karen Berger was clearly integral to the whole line. What does she do know? I'm guessing it will be successful

Don't monkey paw me on this, Marvel.  You've gotten me badly recently.  This, this better be good.

With the tagline "Injustice, like lightning...", Marvel's latest teaser image features a handful of silhouettes against a stormy sky. The teaser appears to homage the "Thunderbolts" #1 cover, which suggests a new "Thunderbolts" series will follow "Avengers: Standoff."

Like their "Uncanny Inhumans" teaser, Marvel has intentionally left some figures in this new image obscured. Only one figure is illuminated: a little girl washed in whites and blues. While it isn't clear who this girl is, she may be a main player in "Avengers: Standoff," as one teaser for the event shows a little girl playing with the Cosmic Cube.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-teaser-heralds-a-new-super-team-in-the-wake-of-avengers-standoff

13 hours ago, red snow said:

But it is mind boggling they let the premier prestige publisher of comics disappear. Karen Berger was clearly integral to the whole line. What does she do know? I'm guessing it will be successful

Rumour has it she signed a non-compete clause for a set number of years in her latest contract. We probably won't see her surface for a little while yet, but when she does it should be interesting.

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Rumour has it she signed a non-compete clause for a set number of years in her latest contract. We probably won't see her surface for a little while yet, but when she does it should be interesting.

That tells you how good someone is when your former employer has probably paid you not to work for a competitor. 

I'm not sure if Image really needs her but they probably wouldn't say no. Maybe one of the other publishers could benefit massively from her if they can afford her. She could give Dark Horse or Oni a boost.

8 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

Don't monkey paw me on this, Marvel.  You've gotten me badly recently.  This, this better be good.

With the tagline "Injustice, like lightning...", Marvel's latest teaser image features a handful of silhouettes against a stormy sky. The teaser appears to homage the "Thunderbolts" #1 cover, which suggests a new "Thunderbolts" series will follow "Avengers: Standoff."

Like their "Uncanny Inhumans" teaser, Marvel has intentionally left some figures in this new image obscured. Only one figure is illuminated: a little girl washed in whites and blues. While it isn't clear who this girl is, she may be a main player in "Avengers: Standoff," as one teaser for the event shows a little girl playing with the Cosmic Cube.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-teaser-heralds-a-new-super-team-in-the-wake-of-avengers-standoff

Oh, great, Another silhouetter poster campaign. Where I get bored of the comic before it even comes out thanks to the drip feed of info.

I'm open to the comic as long as it's not just outright villains - although I suspect Marvel have noticed there's a DC film coming out about a team of villains.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

Oh, great, Another silhouetter poster campaign. Where I get bored of the comic before it even comes out thanks to the drip feed of info.

I'm open to the comic as long as it's not just outright villains - although I suspect Marvel have noticed there's a DC film coming out about a team of villains.

True, except the silhouette it's referencing here is really, really obvious, and it does seem to mostly be the original band.  I just hope they haven't all backslid--Bendis and Brian Reed were godawful on Moonstone, and Zemo's been knocked back into villainy, albeit with a nice trolling edge.  And this era of the Bolts was very "Villains masquerading as heroes who come to enjoy the gig"; much later, it was basically the Squad.  So here's hoping they realize they can't just do the Squad, because the original Bolts premise is more, well, original.

Have I mentioned how much I love the Thunderbolts? :D

Today, Hellcat continues to prove that references are the lowest form of humor.

On Karen Berger/Image, I think people tend to forget that Image doesn't work like other publishers.  If you want an editor there, you have to hire one.  They don't help you develop your book, you bring it to them.

7 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

True, except the silhouette it's referencing here is really, really obvious, and it does seem to mostly be the original band.  I just hope they haven't all backslid--Bendis and Brian Reed were godawful on Moonstone, and Zemo's been knocked back into villainy, albeit with a nice trolling edge.  And this era of the Bolts was very "Villains masquerading as heroes who come to enjoy the gig"; much later, it was basically the Squad.  So here's hoping they realize they can't just do the Squad, because the original Bolts premise is more, well, original.

Have I mentioned how much I love the Thunderbolts? :D

Today, Hellcat continues to prove that references are the lowest form of humor.

On Karen Berger/Image, I think people tend to forget that Image doesn't work like other publishers.  If you want an editor there, you have to hire one.  They don't help you develop your book, you bring it to them.

Unless it turns out they aren't all the ones we think eg the first reveal.

I love the original Thunderbolts too (well the first year and a half). I'm still hoping for the film and then I'm cashing out my issue 1 and Hulk preview. Wish I had all the genuine original appearances of the characters too.

Not sure who I'd want to write it unless they invited Busiek or Nicieza back.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Unless it turns out they aren't all the ones we think eg the first reveal.

I love the original Thunderbolts too (well the first year and a half). I'm still hoping for the film and then I'm cashing out my issue 1 and Hulk preview. Wish I had all the genuine original appearances of the characters too.

Not sure who I'd want to write it unless they invited Busiek or Nicieza back.

Busiek is busy with his own material and too health-frail to take on more, so won't be him.  Nicieza has written some Deadpool for them recently.  Nick Spencer is writing like three other books, but his Superior Foes of Spider-Man showed that he both knows and loves the Bolts (pick up issue 7, and die laughing at the Fixer and Zemo scene in there), so I'd be happy with him taking the reigns.

17 minutes ago, Little Valkyrie said:

Busiek is busy with his own material and too health-frail to take on more, so won't be him.  Nicieza has written some Deadpool for them recently.  Nick Spencer is writing like three other books, but his Superior Foes of Spider-Man showed that he both knows and loves the Bolts (pick up issue 7, and die laughing at the Fixer and Zemo scene in there), so I'd be happy with him taking the reigns.

As long as it wasn't as silly as Superior Foes I think Spencer could be a good fit. I'm not against the comedy books but maybe not for Thunderbolts. Besides, it doesn't really sell.

5 minutes ago, CyanidePie said:

Another relaunch may be uneccessary but I think a "movie tie-in" universe line could be a clever idea. Have the comics reflect the trinity 100% and then create canon storylines. This shouldn't be too hard especially if Geoff Johns is writing them given his knowledge of the DC movies. Batman has plenty of storys to mine if it's true Batfleck is semi-retired in BvS. Superman maybe not so much time has passed for him but as long as they don't trample on future films it's fine.

I'd certainy give all 3 titles a shot if that was the case - assuming I;ll enjoy the new film.

At this stage a line wide reboot would be my jump off point. I need to save money on this hobby and if I could cut it down to Image titles, I'd be fine with it and just getting the online packages.

Yeah I'm pretty much trying to trim down to only Image. I'm always going to read Batman, and I'm really enjoying Daredevil and The Vision, which is the best book at Marvel right now, but everything else I read is Image. 

Superhero comics are no longer interesting to me.

12 minutes ago, CyanidePie said:

Yeah I'm pretty much trying to trim down to only Image. I'm always going to read Batman, and I'm really enjoying Daredevil and The Vision, which is the best book at Marvel right now, but everything else I read is Image. 

Superhero comics are no longer interesting to me.

It is hard to give up Batman completely and it took me the combined skills of Marvel editorial and Bendis to get me off X-men. Marvel/DC throw up good books every now and then so i won't completely swear off them but creator owned books are just a lot easier to follow and enjoy. I know Remender's Image books won't crossover every year or feel the need to be "all new and all different" for the hell of it. 

Actually Remender should do a crossover with his books because "Black Science" would actually make it feasible (well they'd have to do a bit of time-travel too). I'd buy an event that had all the regular artists involved. Hopefully Remender has the idea at some point!

Tom King is incredible. Easily the best new writer in comics. He has the best book going at both DC and Marvel at the same time, which I don't know has ever happened. Obviously that's just my opinion, but the quality of his writing on The Omega Men and The Vision is rivaled only by Scott Snyder right now. 

Speaking of which, I wonder if Snyder's departure from Batman to go back to Detective opens the door for King on Batman once Omega Men is over. I'd be so insanely excited for that.

10 minutes ago, CyanidePie said:

Tom King is incredible. Easily the best new writer in comics. He has the best book going at both DC and Marvel at the same time, which I don't know has ever happened. Obviously that's just my opinion, but the quality of his writing on The Omega Men and The Vision is rivaled only by Scott Snyder right now. 

Speaking of which, I wonder if Snyder's departure from Batman to go back to Detective opens the door for King on Batman once Omega Men is over. I'd be so insanely excited for that.

Careful what you wish, a lot of promising writers drop off in quality when they hit the flagship titles - possibly because they have to play it safer. He does seem a rising star though

I decided to get caught up on American Vampire and got the final six issued of vol 2. And I gotta that I'm kinda disappointed. Vol 2 isn't terrible but it is a sharp decline quality compared to what came before. The story is more on a epic scale than earlier but it's also pretty unoriginal and very predictable with an incredible unimaginative eldritch abomination as the bad guy (said bad also has a suitably uninspiring moniker, "The Gray Trader"). So now I'm starting to think that Scott Snyder just developed in to a really shitty writer. The artwork however is still top-notch.

Still I'll probably at least check out vol 3 to see how it is, but I'm not expecting much.

American Vampire is one of my favorite series of all time, so I definitely don't agree. His work on Batman continues to be THE definitive voice of that character for me personally. Scott Snyder and "really shitty writer" being in the same sentence isn't even something that I can compute. 

Also, what's wrong with The Gray Trader? Is that a thing that has existed in a lot of different stories before? I loved that name. 

Archived