College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

We hit 21 pages on the other thread, so moving right along.  One thing I think is obvious as we wrap up the first couple weeks of conference play, this season is as wide open heading into March as any season I can remember in a long time.  Last year the consensus was that there were really only three teams with a chance to win the title.  This year, I think a legit case could be made for as many as ten or more teams.  It'll make for a great tournament for sure.

Sadly, as things stand, I can't put Kentucky in that list of ten schools with a  straight face. Unless we can find some sort of inside presence, we will be at the whim of the three point gods entirely in March and that's not a good place for this team to wander.

I did watch Michigan beat Maryland last night in an electric atmosphere (and they didn't rush the court btw ;) ) after watching WVU and Kansas.  Also caught bits and pieces of the Texas v Iowa St overtime game.  It was a great night of hoops.  This really has been an excellent season.  Its also remarkable to me that for all the hand wringing over the fallout of conference realignment for Big XII football, they have somehow managed to build the best basketball conference in the nation.  Even in the long shadow of Kansas, the other programs have really built themselves into solid performers. 

I did watch Michigan beat Maryland last night in an electric atmosphere (and they didn't rush the court btw

;)

) after watching WVU and Kansas.

Rhom, I'm going on to a WVU board and telling them that Rhom from westeros.org Is tired of seeing us act like rookies. :)  I hope you will sleep better tonight.

Anyway, Paige had a huge game as did Williams. I get that Holton is a beast on the offensive boards, but the guy offers nil otherwise. I like the frosh Ahmed, looks to be in the Middle of a learning curve but I believe will be a decent player in a year. Carter was solid as always, and if we play like we did last night there isn't a team in the nation we can't play with. I will say our half court offense is dreadful to watch. If you want to beat us you have to turn it into a half court game. Paige can create on his own, and other guards have the ability to penetrate, but we have zero instant offense. That's why I brought up our lack of a consistent 3 point shooter. Carter is the best we got. Well, on to Norman and another top ten squad. Goooooo, Eer's.  

Oh, and listening to our fans sing Country Roads after a game gives me the chills in my living room. I love the pride of this state!

Feel like VCU is finally finding their stride. They've won 6 in a row and have started 3-0 in the A-10. Tonight they play Fordham at home, a game they should in theory win. The big difference between this team and previous teams is the use of big men in the paint. Mo Allie Cox, in the last few games, has been sensational, with renewed confidence in his offensive game and ability to make free throws. If he continues to grow as a player, we could be a lot more dangerous than I thought earlier in the season when we were piling up the losses due to terrible offensive possessions when down by a few points. A lot more belief and patience with this team now instead of jacking up and insane amount of threes after no ball movement.

From Glaurung in the old thread 

You guys have a back loaded conference schedule.  

It should be a race to the finish.  I still think KU/OU are the two teams out front, but WVU will be nipping at their heels the whole way with a chance to win it.  

I think OU is definitely still the most likely candidate to knock off Kansas' reign especially with their return game being in Norman now that Kansas has a conference loss as well.  Prohm's Cyclones don't look quite as much of a threat.  WVU could be a legit contender, but their consistency over the course of the entire schedule still seems suspect to me. 

Clemson getting ready to knock off Duke too...

Edit:  Matt Jones air balls a three to close the game.

First time Clemson has beaten back to back ranked opponents since 1989.

Holton is huge in the press as well as rebounding but he makes a lot of cheap fouls.  Needs to clean up his game a bit, but he's out there for a reason.

Yea, after I thought about it He does a lot of nice things. Its just what he doesnt do well is really, really nervewracking. No offensive game to speak of outside rebounding and he is constantly turning the ball over in the most frustrating ways. Yet, it seems we need him on the court for the other reasons. I will just take any offensive contributions as a plus, and be happy about it.

Ole Miss beating LSU in Baton Rouge at the half because of course they are...

:rolleyes: 

Eh, a lot of basketball to be played, and we didn't take full advantage of Simmons sitting down for the last 9 minutes or so. Beats the alternative, though. Moody looks like he's got it tonight; he hadn't shot well in SEC play thus far.

ETA: Nice game, came up a little short in the end. Moody with a herculean effort. Still wish we had a real PG to support him.

From Glaurung in the old thread 

I think OU is definitely still the most likely candidate to knock off Kansas' reign especially with their return game being in Norman now that Kansas has a conference loss as well.  Prohm's Cyclones don't look quite as much of a threat.  WVU could be a legit contender, but their consistency over the course of the entire schedule still seems suspect to me. 

I'm sure we'll take a our share of lumps down the stretch.  As REG says - hard to win on the road and we still have trips to Kansas, OU, ISU for starters and Texas, OSU, Baylor, etc will be far from gimmes as well.  I'll be happy if we just do a good job protecting Morgantown and can steal a few on the road.  If we can win 8-10 of our remaining 14 games I'll be extremely happy.  That's be good for a 23-25 win season in a very tough conference.  I'm not even going to think about the conference race until I see where we are sitting with 4-5 games left.  As much as it would be pretty glorious if WVU were the team to dethrone Kansas I really just care about being well positioned for a tourney run.  I think this team will be a handful in March as long as we don't encounter any 2015 Kentucky teams.

Good news is, there are no 2015 Kentucky teams.

Better news in my opinion is that natural hustle doesn't take a night off, shooters can be cold. So WVU has something that can travel well.

So I started to watch the Duke game...saw them go up by 12 and thought "Self, they are playing well now, get some sleep because Boy Wonder will come visit and wake you up"

So I slept.  And didn't win Powerball.  Boy Wonder did wake me up.  And Duke lost.  Last night sucked.

Sometimes Calipari says stuff that just cracks me up. 

On Alex Poythress and Marcus Lee and playing and essentially registering zero stats:

You know what a gazillion is? There’s a number there, maybe 30 gazillion. It may be one, 12, 120 gazillion. You play 12 minutes and then everything else is a zero. You just had a gazillion.

On Marcus Lee being out of position and getting beat (and fouling out with 6 minutes to go):

"Most cases, he didn't fight early enough to get his position, to get that ball. He waited, and then the other guy fights and he's in a bad position - he doesn't weigh enough. He weighs a buck-seventy-five. So all of a sudden now, you weren't down and ready to wedge, you get pushed, you're grabbing, you're grabbing, and you just foul. A lot of times, you get out of position and you're embarrassed about it, what do you do?

"I'm going to grab the guy so he doesn't score. It's not football, son. It is not football. That was not a touchdown. That was two points, which we could've scored in seven seconds. But it's hard for them, because it's an embarrassing thing, too. Just grab the guy, keep him from scoring. I'm not going to be embarrassed."

:lol:  

Archived