College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

On 1/30/2016 at 5:51 PM, Switchback the Second said:

Really good game for the Gators today.  This team has been fun to watch this year as there has been clear progression in the areas that were so terrible at the beginning of the year, namely shooting free throws and 3s.  Feels like there has been tangible evidence of solid coaching as the year's gone on, and the players are clearly way more invested this year than last year's team was.  They've always played with a lot of energy since the beginning of the year, and now they're starting to make shots.  And when we're making shots, added to the energy and defense we've always brought, they can be pretty damn good.  Still feels like a year away from being a threat in the tourney but also feels like Mike White has got the turnaround from last year moving along at a better clip than I expected.

That game was really physical and I was excited to see us match WVU's toughness throughout.  The defining point of the game I thought was after WVU went on a 12-0 run to cut our lead down to 4 late in the first half, and using another of White's bizarro lineups we went on a 14-3 run to end the half up 15.  That was huge.  

Go Gators!

Florida played an excellent game, congrats.  Gators were like, what.. 60% from three?  Overall FG percentage had to have been pretty high too.  What gives?! I was told you all couldn't shoot!    :lol:

10 hours ago, S John said:

Florida played an excellent game, congrats.  Gators were like, what.. 60% from three?  Overall FG percentage had to have been pretty high too.  What gives?! I was told you all couldn't shoot!    :lol:

Yeah, y'all ran into our best shooting game of the year so far, but I did say we'd been shooting better recently.  It was a disaster at the beginning of the year, hell I think we were12th in the SEC coming into the game Saturday in 3 pt pct.  But we've actually been pretty competent lately, which to me makes it look like the new guy is doing some actual coaching.  I won't expect that kind of hot hand the rest of the year though - we were making everything Saturday - but we're at least not going to be laughed out of the gym with our shooting anymore.  

That game was a slugfest too, and I was proud that we we were able to stand up to it.  This Gator team certainly tries hard every game, which after last year is a breath of fresh air. 

Looked like you got away with one there.  I can't believe Ullis was inbounds when that pass left his hand.  Kid was amazing against us on Saturday - his ability to stop and change direction has to be the best in all of college basketball. 

And as I was typing the game ends.  Damn, that sucks, Rhom.  Who do you play next?  You might need a big win over them to stay avoid dropping out of the top 25 like Duke this week.  Calipari needs to assign some "homework" in the form of free throw practice.

42 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Looked like you got away with one there.  I can't believe Ullis was inbounds when that pass left his hand.  Kid was amazing against us on Saturday - his ability to stop and change direction has to be the best in all of college basketball. 

And as I was typing the game ends.  Damn, that sucks, Rhom.  Who do you play next?  You might need a big win over them to stay avoid dropping out of the top 25 like Duke this week.  Calipari needs to assign some "homework" in the form of free throw practice.

Florida comes to Rupp Saturday.

:stillsick: 

Wooooooo!

much needed win for the Mountaineers!  I was not expecting a win tonight at all.  I was expecting this team to go into a skid after an ugly road loss and then going on the road to Iowa State where it is very difficult to win.  With Baylor and @ KU next I was really starting to sweat a 4+ game losing streak.  Looked like ISU was going to run away with it early too but WVU really gutted this one out on the road.  my favorite WVU win of the season so far.

UofL announces self imposed postseason ban for this year's ACC and NCAA tourneys.

Listen, we all know it would be dishonest of me to say that I'm not experiencing great schadenfreude in this, but I have to hand it to the dirty birds... this is a far stronger response than what we have seen from UNC, Syracuse, and their ilk.  I do hate it for Damion Lee and Trey Lewis.  They are both 5th year transfers who came to UofL with the hopes (expectations) of playing in the NCAA tournament for the first time.  For that reason, I wish they had made the ban effective next year so the team could decide whether to transfer or play it out.  :dunno: 

Either way... I'm still dancing on fans' graves around here.  Just let one of those chinstrap beard wearin' mfers try to talk smack about UK being dirty again!  :fencing: 

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

UofL announces self imposed postseason ban for this year's ACC and NCAA tourneys.

Listen, we all know it would be dishonest of me to say that I'm not experiencing great schadenfreude in this, but I have to hand it to the dirty birds... this is a far stronger response than what we have seen from UNC, Syracuse, and their ilk.  I do hate it for Damion Lee and Trey Lewis.  They are both 5th year transfers who came to UofL with the hopes (expectations) of playing in the NCAA tournament for the first time.  For that reason, I wish they had made the ban effective next year so the team could decide whether to transfer or play it out.  :dunno: 

Either way... I'm still dancing on fans' graves around here.  Just let one of those chinstrap beard wearin' mfers try to talk smack about UK being dirty again!  :fencing: 

I just read about this on the WVU board (quite a bit of glee over there about it as well) and I came over here because I figured you might have something to say about it.  :lol:

Speculation is that the self imposed ban is in hopes that the NCCA will allow them to keep that 2013 championship banner.  

Supposedly, just weeks (days?) before this story broke Pitino said in an interview that he knew everything about his players.  That if they had a beer downtown - he knew about it.  Might be difficult for 'ol Rick to distance himself from the whole prostitution thing after a statement like that.  He's either unbelievably dirty or unbelievably clueless.  He'll plead the latter but neither is a good look.

28 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Forgot to add how much I "love" the timing of the announcement - afternoon, Friday, Super Bowl weekend. Classic.

That is exactly how this works.

The great thing about being a UK fan, is that today our biggest concern is that the new logos designed by Nike look like shit.

Think this guy nailed it...

Cadl4WSUMAAjvqc.jpg

I just read a cool little thing about some kid, Brandon Sherrod, from Yale(10 minutes down the road from me) hitting 30 straight shots to break the Division 1 record of 26 straight. He hit his last shot against Brown and then went 24-24 over the next 3 games and hit his first 5 shots yesterday. Dude is 6'-6", I was expecting him to be taller. Ivy league obviously doesn't have the same size as bigger conferences but it's damn impressive either way. 

Archived