College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

25 minutes ago, S John said:

WVU is somehow alone in first in the Big 12. :lol: For now.  Hopefully we can pull a massive road win on Tuesday!

Not likely ;)

K-State sure likes to do us favors.  I think they knocked off OU last year to really help us out in the Big XII race (although it was much later in the season).

What a crazy year.

Gator-UK game was predictable.  We always struggle at Rupp (who doesn't?) and a flat start by our guys coupled with an insanely hot shooting start from UK and we just dug too big of a hole early.  Was proud that they kept fighting the whole game though, and managed to get within striking distance a couple of times in the second half, but just never looked like we were going to have enough to get all the way back in.  Murray was indeed incredible all game, Ulis too.  Feels like we could have played better defense, but there also comes a point where you just have to accept they're not missing shots and it's not your day.  Will be interesting to see how we bounce back, a couple of games this week in the O-Dome should help.

Go Gators!

Big loss yesterday by VCU. Officiating was horrendous (key game tying 3 late in the game was a blatant shot clock violation that wasn't even close) but that wasn't the reason they lost. VCU just couldn't make lay ups, especially in the first half and had 3 very poor possessions in the last minute of the game. On the flip side, GW came to play and Garino couldn't miss. Don't think the loss will affect their ability to make the tournament but the game at GW and Dayton later in the season takes on significant importance. 

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:40 PM, Rhom said:

Nothing about this team makes sense.

You're going to have to be more specific - nothing about anyone in the top 35 makes any sense this year.  Though it does make for what should be an interesting March.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Perhaps some will disagree but I'm loving the parity this year.  Nobody without a blemish (or two, or three... or four) and the top 15 or so teams seem to be largely interchangeable.  

I'd complain that WVU should be ranked a little higher after beating two ranked teams last week, one on the road, but we really took a couple of those losses on the chin.  Haven't lost to any bad teams, but ultimately got worked by both Florida and Texas.  Killed Virginia for about 17 minutes, but unfortunately they killed us for the final 23.  Took OU to the wire in Norman and nearly won, if there is such a thing as a good loss, that is it.  I just think we got beaten too soundly in the other 3 losses to climb any higher than where we are right now, but a few more big wins will have us looking at a favorable seed, which is my main concern.  

Plus, next game is in Lawrence, Kansas where the home team wins about 95% of the time and will certainly have revenge on their minds to boot.  They'll probably also have an interest in winning the conference title for the 12th year in a row which will be difficult if the Mountaineers sweep them while sitting in the #1 position themselves, so I think this is a huge game for KU and I hope WVU comes out and plays with fire because they'll definitely need it. 

ETA - jsut to calrify, my main ranking complaint is being ranked below UNC.  Same record but opposing trends last week and I just have a gut feeling that we'd eat their lunch.

S John I also am excited about the parity this year. I think this is going to be a fantastic tournament in March. Am a lifelong Spartan fan and feel we have a decent chance at a deep run this year. The entire Top Ten and probably some sleepers out there, will all be candidates to make the final four, it's anybodies to grab imo.

Got to catch the end of the MSU-Purdue game - great finish but a stupid foul gave Purdue the shots to win.  I'm not sure I'd have called a foul in the situation - going over the top of a screen instead of under - but there was contact.

Duke did have a win over a real team, so maybe there is a pulse in Durham after all - though I'm not holding my breath for that.

10 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Duke did have a win over a real team, so maybe there is a pulse in Durham after all - though I'm not holding my breath for that.

Has the "leader of men" thrown down a suspension yet?

747c19de9121257e1250aebaae008d37_crop_ex

I'm shocked that Allen played the rest of the game, but desperate times and all that.

4 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Has the "leader of men" thrown down a suspension yet?

I'm shocked that Allen played the rest of the game, but desperate times and all that.

Pshaw.  He's another in a long line of fine leaders on the court for the Dukies.

051010LAETTNER-STEPS-ON-TI1.png

Coach K teaches them to win the "right way" you know.  ;) 

The only consolation is that their indiscretions are all on court.  I didn't see talk about Trey Lyles getting suspended when he punched the kid from Wisconsin, so I wouldn't see why Allen would be suspended here.  If I were in K's shoes I'd have played him and then run him until he puked the next day after practice.

Just now, Greywolf2375 said:

The only consolation is that their indiscretions are all on court.  I didn't see talk about Trey Lyles getting suspended when he punched the kid from Wisconsin, so I wouldn't see why Allen would be suspended here.  If I were in K's shoes I'd have played him and then run him until he puked the next day after practice.

First... Stop getting your NCAA buddies to ban my picture!  That stomp was clearly showing up when I posted it!!!  :tantrum: 

Second... Trey Lyles didn't punch anyone!!!  His hand clearly went too high when trying to get position for a rebound.  I consider that the play that cost us the game, so its still too bitter for me to think about.  (At that moment, Wisconsin was gassed and hanging their heads.  You could tell they were beat.  Lyles gets called for the foul while going for position, and the refs decide to check to see if its a flagrant.  While they go to the monitor, the Badgers get a free 5 minutes to rest.  Then there's the decision not to call it flagrant and the chip on their shoulder is set.  Throw in a shot clock violation that wasn't called as a make up and the stage was set.)  :bang: 

Archived