College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

Dunno if its getting any play nationally, but there are some rumors circulating about Pitino taking the job at UNLV.  He was asked about it by local media today:

Eric Crawford

@ericcrawford

Asked about UNLV rumor, Pitino says: “Next question. Please don’t ask me about coaching rumors in January."

That's certainly not a denial...

What is the appeal of UNLV over UofL?  Location? Easier conference?  Didn't UNLV get sent to the doghouse by the NCAA after the last time they were good?  Makes me wonder if you can really win big there without cheating.  They've done almost nothing in 25 years.

That move wouldn't make sense to me unless someone just wanted to live in Las Vegas.  Pitino does seem like the kind of guy that would want to live in Vegas full time, I guess.  For me, Vegas is a blast to visit every 3 years or so, but live there?  It would take some convincing for sure.  I honestly think I would rather live in Louisville.  

Oh, Pitino loves it in Kentucky.  Horses and whatnot.

What he doesn't love is a hooker scandal hanging over his head and the perceived lack of support from the University President.  Long story short, after it all broke President James Ramsey had a press conference where he said he was confident that Athletic Director Tom Jurich had no involvement in the scandal.  Conspicuously absent from his vote of confidence was one Richard Andrew Pitino.

:dunno: 

He was considered a leading candidate for the job back in 2001 just before Denny Crum retired and the UofL job opened up.  God, just typing that makes me feel old.  He's been at UofL over twice as long as he was at UK.  :stunned: 

19 losses by top 5 teams to unranked opponents this year.  Is there something going on where the top ranked teams this year actually have to play in the Her Sister of the Blessed Alley Oop tourney instead of the NCAA tournament and no one wants to do that?  The only unbeaten can't play in the post season....

Grrrrrrr.  Tonight's loss really pissed me off.  That was the worst performance I've seen from the Mountaineers all year.  Texas didn't even play a very good game which is what really drives me nuts about it.  Sometimes another team shows up and plays absolutely lights out and you lose - I can deal with it when that happens, but to lose to a team at your own place who also didn't play well just sucks.  Need to win home games and this one was entirely winnable.

Hoping it's a wake up call game.  I think the guys were buying into their ranking a bit tonight cause the effort was seriously lacking.  They must never forget that they aren't in a decent position at this point in the season because they have more talent than most teams, but because they play harder than most teams.   That's it, without maximum effort WVU loses.  

Shooting was all around horrible tonight though too, just awful to watch.  Texas looked like shit too but were less shitty enough to get the win.  Some of it is just bad luck, off nights happen.  But 40 minutes of clanks and watching the ball go in and spin back out has got to be one of the most frustrating things there is.  And the free throws?  Jesus God.  No shit,  I think Huggs could put me out there and I'd shoot better from the line than the Mountaineers.  And at home?  And with a small / quiet crowd because of another snowstorm?  I don't get it, it has basically cost us two games in a row.  It was a big factor in both losses for sure.  

This very morning I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at the oral surgeon (2 were impacted and had to be cut out) and watching that game was still hands down the worst thing that happened to me today.  Even hydrocodine doesn't make me feel any better about that bungle of a game.  

Damn... this mobile phone thing is pissing me off.  I can't respond while watching games and then basically have to wait until the next day to post.  :tantrum: 

So yeah... WVU and MSU both losing last night.  Yeap.  Craziest year I can remember in college basketball off the top of my head.  Definitely has me lamenting that UK didn't have last year's team this year!!!!!  :lol: 

I talk about it a bunch but Will Wade continues to impress me, maybe more than Shaka. His honesty and attention to detail is unbelievable and he demands perfection. VCU scored 90+ and won by 20+ pts last night against Duquesne last night, who just beat St. Bonaventure over the weekend and Wade was at the post game presser unhappy with the way they played. I appreciate that in a coach. He praised where praise was worthy but kept pointing out mistakes the team was making, mistakes that might have cost them a game if they played like that on the road or against a better team. My hopes for this team continue to rise with each game though this weekend's game will be huge. VCU really needs to win the A-10 to get a decent seed given they lost all their big OOC games (Duke, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, GT, FSU). 

In other news, VCU just got what I would think would be their final commitment for 2016 in a  3*, 6'4, 190 lb SG out of New Orleans named Malik Crowfield. From what I understand, his game is very similar to Melvin Johnson's which is exactly what we need given our two other recruits are more likely to attack. I believe he hit eight 3 pointers in a half last week which is pretty impressive. I don't think the program is going backwards anytime soon.

Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!  Whew. TTU shot a ridiculous 94% from the line, 32 of 34 or something like that.  Can't believe the Mountaineers pulled this one out, this was one of those games where we just weren't playing great and weren't catching any breaks either, but somehow hung around.  I really thought we were gonna drop a 3rd in row until the very last seconds when we didn't.  wasnt pretty but I'll take it.

Michigan St. sporting some very bright neon green uniforms...odd. I was supposed to go to the Uconn game today but the snow derailed those plans. They won but they started the 2nd half shooting 1-16. I just don't know what to make of this team.

Providence-Villanova on Fox right now is a wonderful treat early on this Sunday.  Nobody wants to lose this one.  And while a lot of people feel like Perry Ellis had been in college forever, I'm pretty sure Arcidiacano had been in college at least twice as long as Ellis.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

In all seriousness, does anyone know how to fix the mobile phone issue?  When I try to reply, there's just a gray box and I can't type anything in it.

That happens sometimes. I tend to just close down the browser then restart it.

VCU won their 10th straight yesterday and managed to get a few votes for the first time in the AP top 25. It was a tough match dictated by horrible refereeing on both sides but they were able to pull away at the end when St. Bonaventure's bigs got into serious foul trouble. Friday's away game against Davidson will be huge for RPI. Right now, they're 46th (no key OOC wins hurts) and 30th in Kenpom. I'm impressed with JeQuan Lewis growth as a player from OOC games (23 ppg, 6 assists, 4 rebs, 1 TO in last 3 games) as well as the consistency of sophomore Tillman (15 ppg, 10 rpg, 78% or so fg %). For losing a coach in Smart and being projected to finish 6th in A-10, really happy with them starting 7-0 in conference play.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

That happens sometimes. I tend to just close down the browser then restart it.

I'm using Safari on my iPhone.  I shut it down entirely and closed out any open webpages I had then came back in and it looked the same.  Is this what yours looks like when it does it?

IMG_5774_zpsri2uxu8y.png

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm using Safari on my iPhone.  I shut it down entirely and closed out any open webpages I had then came back in and it looked the same.  Is this what yours looks like when it does it?

Yea, that's exactly right. That has happened to me on my computer too. I tend to just refresh and it goes away or so I remember.

Just now, Mexal said:

Yea, that's exactly right. That has happened to me on my computer too. I tend to just refresh and it goes away or so I remember.

Just now, Mexal said:

Hmmm...  Will have to look into it some more.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Did you try clearing your cache? I couldn't post at all for a few days on my Ipad until I did that. I only had to do it once and it works fine now but I was getting the same gray box.

How do you clear cache on an iPhone?

Archived