Why did Ned bring Ice to King's Landing?

Floki of the Ironborn

If I'm leaving behind my wife and four of my kids to go to a place I hate to do a job I despise surrounded by people I dislike, I think I'm taking my most treasured possession to give me a little comfort.  Especially when I'm having to leave behind my home, and that possession is my greatest link to it.  

Doesn't seem strange to me at all.  

The Smiling Knight's sword didn't break instantly. He could have killed Arthur before that happened for he was more skilled, or got lucky, or Arthur was having an off day. We don't know how Ned and Howland bested Dayne. but it is clear that Ned thinks he would have died were it not for Howland's help. So I would suggest that he didn't really stand a chance against Dayne that day, Valyrian Steel or not. He needed help.

Not to mention that Ned would have just taken possession of Ice, and likely was far more comfortable fighting with a longsword. As others have mentioned Ice is really huge and probably awkward to wield in battle. I believe Martin himself recently commented on his blog that Ned probably didn't use it in battle, maybe someone has the link. 

We don't know if Tywin was flaunting social conventions when he took Ice for his own family, or if Ned was just being especially honorable when he returned Dawn. I tend to think the latter. We know Nightfall somehow went from House Greyjoy to House Harlaw, and the Greyjoys don't seem to hold that against them. Thought it could have been a gift or something. 

I want to say that SK would probably kill AD if he had Valyrian, I also thing that Ned would die in ToJ if he didnt have it, HR couldnt save him there. Plus, Ice is huge but not to heavy.

They are not in good terms now, Starks ans Aryns had terrible relationship during history and sudenly they were best buddies, also look at Baratheon-Targ relation, maybe Greyjoy gave Nighfall to Harlaw when they were in better relation, for example for saving his life in battle.

Longclaw I think is where it should be because old bear gave to Jon with his will. In Jon amd Jorah ever meet Jon should offer him a sword back as common courteassy, but Jorah shiuld not accept it. That swords are part of family, do you think that sword of the morning never fell before Arthur? Or some Stark? They lost their swords but got them back because of custom, nothing else, because there will be no house that holds sword for thousands of years.

I want to say that SK would probably kill AD if he had Valyrian, I also thing that Ned would die in ToJ if he didnt have it, HR couldnt save him there. Plus, Ice is huge but not to heavy.

I'm saying he would have died regardless of what sword he was using, had Howland not saved him. I'm not sure why you think that Ned had to be wielding Ice for Howland to be able to save him. We don't even know how Howland saved him. 

They are not in good terms now, Starks ans Aryns had terrible relationship during history and sudenly they were best buddies, also look at Baratheon-Targ relation, maybe Greyjoy gave Nighfall to Harlaw when they were in better relation, for example for saving his life in battle.

I believe they are on good terms now (well, maybe not Euron and the Reader.)  Balon's wife was a Harlaw. But yeah Nightfall isn't a great example because we don't know what happened. 

Longclaw I think is where it should be because old bear gave to Jon with his will. In Jon amd Jorah ever meet Jon should offer him a sword back as common courteassy, but Jorah shiuld not accept it. That swords are part of family, do you think that sword of the morning never fell before Arthur? Or some Stark? They lost their swords but got them back because of custom, nothing else, because there will be no house that holds sword for thousands of years.

I think it's probably always been considered the honorable thing, to return the sword. But just how much of a big deal is it if you don't, especially in modern times? People do dishonorable things all the time. I don't believe we ever hear anyone criticizing Tywin for keeping it, but I might be wrong.  I don't think it's up there with things like kinslaying and violating guest right. 

I'm saying he would have died regardless of what sword he was using, had Howland not saved him. I'm not sure why you think that Ned had to be wielding Ice for Howland to be able to save him. We don't even know how Howland saved him. I believe they are on good terms now (well, maybe not Euron and the Reader.)  Balon's wife was a Harlaw. But yeah Nightfall isn't a great example because we don't know what happened. I think it's probably always been considered the honorable thing, to return the sword. But just how much of a big deal is it if you don't, especially in modern times? People do dishonorable things all the time. I don't believe we ever hear anyone criticizing Tywin for keeping it, but I might be wrong.  I don't think it's up there with things like kinslaying and violating guest right. 

He would die faster with regular one, VS gave him a chance and some more time.

Harlaws are rivals to Greyjoys, yes she was a Harlaw, but Marge is a Tyrell.

Of course it not in the same page like kinslaying or guest right, ot is worst thing that is, but still not something to be proud of.

Why is it unlikely? Dayne killed sSmiling knight who had regular sword, only case where Ned even stands a chance against Dayne is with Valyrians steel.

I another question though, why did Tywin take Ice and reforge it? It belongs to Sansa, by rights, if not to her than to Jon, as long as there are living Starks Ice should not change owner. Did Ned take Dawn to WF?? It was not theirs and it cursed them, immediatly after Joff passed, than very recently Tywin, than Kevan, Lancel is zealot, Cersei grows mad,... The only good thing in all that is Jaome givong Brienne Oathkeeper to protect Starks.

Ned's own POV states that Ice is large and unwieldy in battle. Valyrian steel or not, it wouldn't seem to be an appropriate weapon for close quarters combat with the finest swordsman in Westeros.

As for Tywin reforging Ice, he claimed it via right of conquest. I'm uncertain as to why this would be a surprise. He wasn't going to reward the Stark's rebellion. Further, I would dismiss any speculation of a "curse" on the sword that somehow effects people who never even touched it but spares some who do.

To Ned returning Dawn, it simply shows what kind of person he is. Showing a fallen enemy some measure of courtesy. My question is since Ned was going to Starfall anyways, why didn't he take Dayne's body as well? It's not as if he didn't have extra horses without riders.

Despite the perceived Danger I don't think Ned truly thought things would ever get as bad as they did. Otherwise he wouldn't have just left Ice at home, but would have left his daughters or at least Arya. nor planned for Bran to come before his crippling.

As for using it. I imagine he did in combat. It's a misconception about how heavy great swords were. They usually didn't way more than twice a normal sword and you had both hands to use them. Valyrian Steel would mean it would be even lighter. Neither are they unwieldy. Medieval combat had techniques to use with a great sword for close quarters, half-swording where you grip the blade and stab like a spear and options like striking with the pommel. In really tight quarters men would use daggers or grapple.

I imagine he commanded from horseback with an arming sword by his side. But if he had to enter the fray, a man at arms playing the role of squire (because Ned would have men to do squires duties despite not being a Knight) would be carrying the sword and give it to him after he dismounted. It was very common for knights, nobles and even kings to fight dismounted, despite the perception of knights always on horseback. You can inspire your men. But also it's less likely you'll end up over extended and cut from your side, or have your horse killed under you. You can surround yourself with the best bodyguards and fight in quick bursts, taking breaks guarded by your men.

The beheading reasoning is the most likely. If Ned needed to do so, he would want the people witnessing it to see the heirloom and status symbol that is Valyrian Steel.

Ned didn't use Ice in battle so that was likely not a factor.

Do we have any real proof of this? Aside from the fact that it is a great sword.

Ned's own POV states that Ice is large and unwieldy in battle. Valyrian steel or not, it wouldn't seem to be an appropriate weapon for close quarters combat with the finest swordsman in Westeros.

As for Tywin reforging Ice, he claimed it via right of conquest. I'm uncertain as to why this would be a surprise. He wasn't going to reward the Stark's rebellion. Further, I would dismiss any speculation of a "curse" on the sword that somehow effects people who never even touched it but spares some who do.

To Ned returning Dawn, it simply shows what kind of person he is. Showing a fallen enemy some measure of courtesy. My question is since Ned was going to Starfall anyways, why didn't he take Dayne's body as well? It's not as if he didn't have extra horses without riders.

Returning ancestral sword where it belongs is far from rewarding. Sansa should have it, than Tyrions children will have it and it belongs to Lannisters but voa clean way. Actually, Tywin died for refoarging it and Joff died for using it. Jaime is alive for returning it. That body thing really buggs me, why didnt he take all of them, not just Arthur? Pissed Dustins and Ryswells by that move, and hoe the hell did he bring the tower down?

GRRM said it once. 

he said only mountain can use it for battle, something like that. 

Yes, that is the quote I can't find the link for. I asked in small questions I'm sure somebody will post it. 

Edit: I seem to remember the quote sorta went against what we see in the books, with Tarly using Heartsbane in battle. 

Yes, that is the quote I can't find the link for. I asked in small questions I'm sure somebody will post it. 

Edit: I seem to remember the quote sorta went against what we see in the books, with Tarly using Heartsbane in battle. 

yes, this is suspicious. 

But I guess ICE is a larger great sworrd than Heartsbane. 

Does a great sword has a fixed size? or only has a bottomline?

I think ICE was just super big compared to even a regular great sword. 

Because blackfyre may also be a great sword. 

It seems that most lords keep their ancestral swords with them wherever they go:

Mormont has Longclaw

Mormont only had Longclaw because his son left it when he fled, and because Mormont didn't have another son to pass it to.

GRRM said it once. 

he said only mountain can use it for battle, something like that. 

If that is true, then whoever made the sword was dumb. Sure you could use magical steel for ceremonial purposes only but combat is were VS shines. The move to turn it into 2 arming swords while disrespectful is pretty practical. As an arming sword can be used from horseback and be worn on the waist day to day.

If that is true, then whoever made the sword was dumb. Sure you could use magical steel for ceremonial purposes only but combat is were VS shines. The move to turn it into 2 arming swords while disrespectful is pretty practical. As an arming sword can be used from horseback and be worn on the waist day to day.

Right, but I guess GRRM wanted to split the ICE into two swords for Joff and Jaime for future story, so ICE had to be bigger. 

Anyway Ned is not a great swordsman, so .............

Archived