Why did Ned bring Ice to King's Landing?

Floki of the Ironborn

Did he use it in RR ?
I'm leaning to no, Rickard must've brought because he had trial in combat idea in his mind. Good thing Aerys was not as greedy as Tywin. It's so vulgar and disgusting what he did to Ice

Did he use it in RR ?
I'm leaning to no, Rickard must've brought because he had trial in combat idea in his mind. Good thing Aerys was not as greedy as Tywin. It's so vulgar and disgusting what he did to Ice

Maybe Aerys indeed took it but it was retrieved by Ned later. 

But I think Ned did not use it in battle, otherwise we would know, it is ICE versus Dawn at TOJ.

Right, but I guess GRRM wanted to split the ICE into two swords for Joff and Jaime for future story, so ICE had to be bigger. 

Anyway Ned is not a great swordsman, so .............

I don't really know enough about metalworking to say...

Not great doesn't mean terrible. He was average. Which being a noble means still better than the majority of the soldiers in Westeros. An average fighter still benefits from having a decent weapon.

I don't really know enough about metalworking to say...

Not great doesn't mean terrible. He was average. Which being a noble means still better than the majority of the soldiers in Westeros. An average fighter still benefits from having a decent weapon.

Killed Arthur Dayne so he cant be terrible. And I doubt he did something like spitting in his face to distract him. He wasnt Jaime, Robert or Barristan, but he wasnt so bad either, I would say above average but not great.

Killed Arthur Dayne so he cant be terrible. And I doubt he did something like spitting in his face to distract him. He wasnt Jaime, Robert or Barristan, but he wasnt so bad either, I would say above average but not great.

It was howland who killed Arthur, either backstabbing or using some dirty magic. 

It was howland who killed Arthur, either backstabbing or using some dirty magic. 

We don't really know enough about the fight to say much. It wasn't "honourable" single combat it was a 3 vs 7 skirmish during a war. Dayne may have suffered wounds before Ned and he fought, who knows? (Howland I guess)

Howland could have done anything. It could have been conventional fighting bravery, distracting Arthur momentarily for Ned to find a gap in his defense. It could have have been use of unconventional weapons (like a net). It could be stabbing him in the back. It could have been outright magic. 

We don't really know enough about the fight to say much. It wasn't "honourable" single combat it was a 3 vs 7 skirmish during a war. Dayne may have suffered wounds before Ned and he fought, who knows? (Howland I guess)

Howland could have done anything. It could have been conventional fighting bravery, distracting Arthur momentarily for Ned to find a gap in his defense. It could have have been use of unconventional weapons (like a net). It could be stabbing him in the back. It could have been outright magic. 

it is such a shame and waste that Arthur was killed by this way. 

I really do not understand why they need to fight to death. 

Archived