Greywind alive?

Bea Noleto

Is there any chance Greywind is alive? GRRM has a history of not killing people of the page, perhaps it is the same for direwolves. Greywind is said to have been killed by arrows, is said to have his head sewn into Robb's body, but that is what Frey tell, if I recall correctly, and they lie a lot. Not that they have anything against desecrating Robb's body, but it was probably a regular wolf's head. Besides, the house of undying prophecy, but that would be awfully literal for a prophecy, don't you think? And it would make sense to have a direwolf without his human part as we have a human without her direwolf part.

There is also the show, but I suspect they just wanted to kill the thing so the plot becomes more simple, for shock value and less CGI.

So, I have given reasons to doubt Greywind's death, Can someone provide clues that he is alive?

No. The direwolf really is dead. They really did sew its head onto Robb's body. At least I think so. They talk about it after the deed was done. While trying to say that Robb turned into a wolf and savaged the other guests and it was the heroic Freys who took care of him and got retribution for the red wedding.

I think it's mentioned that Ghost feels this loss and knows that two of the litter is dead. If I remember that correctly, it would make sense that he is indeed dead. It's odd that of all the people that have died, the two wolf deaths got to me the most. 

After posting I did some searching and now I have to go do some reading because apparently there is a line where Ghost senses four but no description of the 4th. Ever notice that everytime you're sure of something, something else slaps ya in the back of the head. Or maybe that's just me...

Arya did not see anything, Sandor knocked her out as she was running towards the castle.

But yes, he is dead, head stitched to Robb's body, as seen in Daenerys visions in the house of the undyings, and multiple witnesses. The loss is also also sensed by Summer/Bran just before they reach the Wall. We also get the report from Jaime that Raynald Westerling tried to save Grey Wind when they were shooting him and got shot too for his troubles.

The death is not on page, but being alive after that many corroborating reports would be ridiculous.

I think it's mentioned that Ghost feels this loss and knows that two of the litter is dead. If I remember that correctly, it would make sense that he is indeed dead. It's odd that of all the people that have died, the two wolf deaths got to me the most. 

After posting I did some searching and now I have to go do some reading because apparently there is a line where Ghost senses four but no description of the 4th. Ever notice that everytime you're sure of something, something else slaps ya in the back of the head. Or maybe that's just me...

The line is "now there were 4, and one he could no longer sense"

Ghost - 1

Nymeria - 2

Shaggydog - 3

Summer - 4

Summer is north of the wall, so Ghost cannot sense him, but he knows he is there.

No. The direwolf really is dead. They really did sew its head onto Robb's body. At least I think so. They talk about it after the deed was done. While trying to say that Robb turned into a wolf and savaged the other guests and it was the heroic Freys who took care of him and got retribution for the red wedding.

Arya did not see anything, Sandor knocked her out as she was running towards the castle.

But yes, he is dead, head stitched to Robb's body, as seen in Daenerys visions in the house of the undyings, and multiple witnesses. The loss is also also sensed by Summer/Bran just before they reach the Wall. We also get the report from Jaime that Raynald Westerling tried to save Grey Wind when they were shooting him and got shot too for his troubles.

The death is not on page, but being alive after that many corroborating reports would be ridiculous.

While I'm certainly "for" Grey Wind being alive, it's more of a "I hope, I hope, I hope..." rather than CONVINCED!

But I've always wondered about the mechanics of sewing a direwolf head to a 15/16 y.o kid....wouldn't it be too top-heavy to be effective?  Wouldn't it be more practical to use an already stuffed wolf's head that may or may not be mounted in a "hunting" or "trophy" room?  Naturally, here I'm assuming that the Frey's have a "trophy" room - though I suppose the wolves Roose went hunting at Harrenhal might not have been left at Harrenhal...

Going off on a tangent there - back to my question: The mechanics of sewing a (not full grown, but not small) direwolf head to a teenage kid - is it really doable?  Or wouldn't the head just be too top-heavy and fall off?  Wouldn't a regular wolf head work better (mechanically) *and* still get the point across?  Clearly, they could still kill Grey Wind, just use a regular wolf head for the "display"

Who wouldn't keep a stuffed direwolf head in their closet for occasions such as this?

Not direwolf, a regular wolf like many in the Riverlands. I decided to ask on the board because once someone mentioned that Greywind might still be alive, but it wasn't the main discussion and I couldn't find anyone else talking about it. 

I find it odd that they could sow a giant head of a direwolf in a human body. Greywind was the size of a horse if I recall correctly. It is a lot of wishful thinking on my part, I admit.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that the House of the Undying scene having the wolf headed king in an iron crown looking at Dany with "mute appeal" is an indication of Ghost (who is notoriously silent)... Not to mention robs crown was bronze and iron

For the record, I'm of the opinion that the House of the Undying scene having the wolf headed king in an iron crown looking at Dany with "mute appeal" is an indication of Ghost (who is notoriously silent)... Not to mention robs crown was bronze and iron

Well, this makes the possibility of Greywind being alive more likely, so please, elaborate.

The only thing I could find suggesting he might be alive was in Bran's chapter where Summer takes on Varamyr's pack and then

"No the boy whispered we have another pack. Lady's dead and maybe Grey Wind too but somewhere there's still Shaggydog and Nymeria and Ghost."

The line is "now there were 4, and one he could no longer sense"

Ghost - 1

Nymeria - 2

Shaggydog - 3

Summer - 4

Summer is north of the wall, so Ghost cannot sense him, but he knows he is there.

If Summer is the one he can no longer sense, then would it mean now there were 4, and the one he could no longer sense (Summer), wouldn't that mean 5 total?

For the record I don't think grey wind is alive. But as far as the pack quote above it's unclear if summer/bran include's himself in the count...

and as for elaborating on the HotU vision, well it's a whole thing... But in brief the HotU and the hollow hill bran is hiding in have a remarkable number of similarities deserving of its own thread... But at the end Dany asks a bunch of questions and gets a bunch of answers, then she says she doesn't understand and they say "tell her, show her" and then give her the whole child of 3 bit.

But those first questions and the answers, I believe, correspond to the visions she sees on her way in. The wolfking at the corpse feast is the second vision and corresponds with "lies?" And "Morrows not yet made".

this with the "mute appeal" (which only Ghost is being described as silent) and the fact that I can't think of why Rob would look to Dany at all, let alone mute appeal, means that it is another prophesy by GRRM that looks like it has already come true, but I do not think has.

hope that is at least a start to an elaboration

We can speculate that Greywind didn't actually die but what could he contribute to the plot if he was still alive? We already have a direwolf in the Riverlands with Nymeria, there isn't a reason I can think of why Martin would want to fake out Greywind's murder and keep him alive secretly if Nymeria is capable of carrying out the potential role he could play in the story herself.

His death was awful but I'd rather he and Robb stay dead. We already had Cat come back, Greywind still being alive would just cheapen the Red Wedding even further.

The only thing I could find suggesting he might be alive was in Bran's chapter where Summer takes on Varamyr's pack and then

"No the boy whispered we have another pack. Lady's dead and maybe Grey Wind too but somewhere there's still Shaggydog and Nymeria and Ghost."

If Summer is the one he can no longer sense, then would it mean now there were 4, and the one he could no longer sense (Summer), wouldn't that mean 5 total?

The way I read it, and which I believes matches with the context of the statement and what we know from other sources is that he is thinking about how scattered his pack is and how they should be together.  So when he says "and 1 he could no longer sense" he isn't saying + 1, he's saying that on top of there only being 4 out of 6 left, 1 of those 4 are so far away he can't even sense them.

The quote...

Once they had been six, five whimpering blind in the snow beside their dead mother , sucking cool milk from her hard, dead nipples whilst he crawled off alone. Four remained... and one the white wolf could no longer sense.

I think that could mean that both Robb and Greywind are dead and while Lady is dead she lives on in Sansa so can no longer be sensed. I can't see how Greywind could still be alive or what it would add to the story.

Archived