Who is your favourite "tough" female character?

Thuckey

I've noticed that GRRM likes to have very strong or powerful female characters. Not only that but they are also quite varied, it's one of the only fantasy series to have interesting and intriguing female characters, and ones that would kick your ass or scare the shit out of you in real life.

There's of course Arya, who is by all accounts a tomboy and has killed people without hesitation, and will continue to do so.

Then there's Brienne, I dislike her but she is a female knight pretty much. 

Then there is Cersei, mentally tough but not as smart as she thinks she is. However very powerful for most of the series. As well as Daenerys, who commands an army and has THREE FUCKING DRAGONS. The Sand Snakes who are annoying but tough as well. Cat is very tough in her own way, although sort of a bitch. There is also Yygritte, a wildling shield maiden. Asha, who has more fighting prowess than most males, and is a strong respected battle commander and captain. 

I think that's most of them.. but as you can see, they all are very tough characters. Which of them is your favourite? 

I'd probably go with Asha. I enjoyed her chapters very much up to the point where she is captured, and I am hoping she makes a strong comback and gets to kick some Crow's Eye's ass.

"Cat is very tough in her own way, but sort of a bitch" Lol. Really? Being strong makes Cat a bitch apparently...

Anyway my top 3 are Arya, Brienne, and Cersei

I think being a bitch is what makes Cat a bitch nothing to due with her strength. Arya is my favorite of the females and also the only Stark I really like (though I have hope for Rickon).

I think being a bitch is what makes Cat a bitch nothing to due with her strength. Arya is my favorite of the females and also the only Stark I really like (though I have hope for Rickon).

Pardon me for my curiosity, but what exactly does make her a bitch? The fact that she didn't want to be the mother to the bastard her husband sired while they were married? The fact that she was perhaps annoying, but nonetheless most politically savvy person in entire Kingdom? 

I touched on this in another thread but my favorite female characters are Arya, Dany, Asha, & Arianne. I like these characters because they tend to go against the typical female stereotypes in this world of just being ladies running household and being subservient to their men, but they also still maintain the femininity & sexuality. They can be captains of ships & battle commanders & be in charge of schemes while still wanting to be beautiful and have no problem wanting the attention of men without letting that desire completely run them. Obviously the second part doesn't apply to Arya bc she's so young. I can't really enjoy characters like Cersei & Brienne bc they're too busy actually trying to be men as opposed to just being a strong woman. Trying to be a man really doesn't get you anywhere IMO. I also agree with the OP, Cat is sort of a bitch. Not bc she's strong but she kind of had this "I'm better than you" attitude about her to me. Plus I'm not a fan of the way she treated Jon or the way she kind of just left her two youngest children in Winterfell.

Pardon me for my curiosity, but what exactly does make her a bitch? The fact that she didn't want to be the mother to the bastard her husband sired while they were married? The fact that she was perhaps annoying, but nonetheless most politically savvy person in entire Kingdom

Well, you and I are clearly reading different books. Catelyn might've been fairly savvy in politics, but she was not exceptional and not nearly as clever as she herself consistently believed herself (something she has inc ommon with Cersei, they are nice foils). In her own faction the Blackfish was just as savvy if not moreso, and Roose Bolton was ahead of both by leagues. And there are many more.

On topic: I like many of the strong women in the series, be it Sansa, Arya, Asha, Genna, Catelyn, Daenerys, Brienne, Arianne, the Sand Snakes, Ellaria, many more. Being strong probably has a part of it, but it isn't necessary.

Pardon me for my curiosity, but what exactly does make her a bitch? The fact that she didn't want to be the mother to the bastard her husband sired while they were married? The fact that she was perhaps annoying, but nonetheless most politically savvy person in entire Kingdom? 

How about her personality or the fact that she willfully disobeyed her son and king.  That she is abrasive and doesn't like her brother taking over for a comatose father. Also maybe because she's a easy to dislike character. 

How about her personality or the fact that she willfully disobeyed her son and king.  That she us abrasive and doesn't like her brother taking over for a comatose father. Also maybe because she's a easy to dislike character. 

So, basically, disobeying someone is enough to call someone a bitch?

Well, you and I are clearly reading different books. Catelyn might've been fairly savvy in politics, but she was not exceptional and not nearly as clever as she herself consistently believed herself (something she has inc ommon with Cersei, they are nice foils). In her own faction the Blackfish was just as savvy if not moreso, and Roose Bolton was ahead of both by leagues. And there are many more.

Catelyn was indeed a smart and capable woman, but as someone said, she was always facing with the worst case scenarios. Catelyn's reasoning were usually OK, but the things would go into a complete chaos. I do think she had many good ideas and that Robb should have listened to her more. 

Since you choose to ignore the abrasive hateful and personality parts of the discussion I guess so.

I understand that we all live in a society where we would breastfeed our husband's fruits of infidelity (oh, wait...) but the fact that Catelyn wasn't a mother figure to Jon speaks what a human being she is, not the epitome of Mother (as it is often case in epic fantasy)

I understand that we all live in a society where we would breastfeed our husband's fruits of infidelity (oh, wait...) but the fact that Catelyn wasn't a mother figure to Jon speaks what a human being she is, not the epitome of Mother (as it is often case in epic fantasy)

Have I ever mentioned Jon Snow?  I think that you need to reread my post because I can't stand Jon and couldn't care less how she treated him.  Maybe you missed the part of my original post where I said I only like Arya out of the Starks which is what Jon is a Stark regardless of who his parents are. The type of human being she is speaks to what kind human she is and to me and many others that's a bitch.  Because you don't agree doesn't mean I can't think it and trying to make it about Jon doesn't make you right.

I would like to add Val and Ygritte as favorite female characters of mine who have a lot of strength. 

I have to be honest, I'm pretty obsessed with Daenerys. I think if you're looking for female role models, I think you start with Hermione when you're in grade school, Katniss when you're a pre-teen/teenager and then on to Daenerys when you're a young adult. (Sorry, I got a little universal with the topic.) She knows how to listen and also to form her own opinions. She is strong and wild, but also refined. She, like every character in the story, has made mistakes. But oh yeah - unlike some characters, she evades the people who want to kill her. She's also funny.

Ahaha I think I'm the only one not a huge fan of Arya. I disliked how she always called everyone stupid.

But to girls I do admire other than Daenerys, I like Sansa. Or moreso SanSan. She's smart, resourceful, and a survivor. She's very political compared to most of the young characters, who are very emotionally driven. You can say she was cruel towards Tyrion, but everyone was. Everyone still is. He's also a Lannister, and Sansa was about to escape their clutches, of course she'd be livid with a man she was forced to marry and really never knew (only the fact that he was related to her two tormenters - Cersei and Joffrey). With Sandor Clegane, we can see that she sees more than just appearance, and can have a kind heart towards broken things, just like herself.

All the rest of the tough ladies kind of just blend together for me. They f*ck everyone and kill everyone. Nothing really special there, predictable and boring. With the exception of Brienne and Catelyn, I'm just indifferent towards those two ladies.

Archived