Navy sailors captured by Iran

zelticgar

I have not seen any discussion about this incident.  A few of my military friends are  outraged but I am not sure what to make of it. The images of the sailors apologizing, on their knees in surrender poses and the female soldier wearing a head scarf seem pretty rough. I'd be curious to see what any former military folks think of this. The administration seemed to move quickly to apologize to Iran for the incident but I am not clear why there was a rush to do that. Most article I have read indicate there is no clear indication of exactly what happened and that the pentagon is still investigating.

iran-surrender-US_3548568b.jpg

Yeah but, how do you accidentally go into Iranian water? I thought we had GPS technology that tells us where we are? Seems like someone screwed up at some level to cause this to happen.

I read that their ship(s) had mechanical difficulties.

In 2007, the same thing happened to some British sailors -- mechanical difficulties, drift into Iranian waters, get taken in. The Iranians held them for 13 days, and put them in all sorts of promotional photos and videos. Some of the British sailors claim to have been tortured. Getting these sailors back, unharmed, in less than 24 hours is due to diplomacy.

But in the GOP Presidential candidate fever dream, anyone so much as pointing a middle finger at an American abroad without getting carpet bombed in response is evidence of the appalling weakness of a nation that spends more on its military than the next umpteen countries combined, so they fell all over themselves to wail and moan about American weakness, a few hours before American diplomacy got the sailors back. It must be exhausting and terrifying to live in the world of a Republican politician.

Mr. Unwashed, as a US Sailor who boarded freighters in the Persian Gulf I am verifying that is what we do.

It would not shock me to read that those Sailors assumed that position unprompted because it's so very standard and to speed up and ease the process of the evolution.

Are they outraged the sailors came back safe in a timely manner?

A few sailors in 'surrender' poses and a female one wearing a headdress is about as mild as it gets. They shouldn't be so easily offended.

They are former marines who fought in Iraq. From what i could tell they basically thought the sailors should not have apologized or allowed the Iranians to video tape them. One of the guys said he would not have allowed his fellow marines to be video taped.  I have no knowledge of military procedure or protocols so I was just kind of curious.

They are former marines who fought in Iraq. From what i could tell they basically thought the sailors should not have apologized or allowed the Iranians to video tape them. One of the guys said he would not have allowed his fellow marines to be video taped.  I have no knowledge of military procedure or protocols so I was just kind of curious.

Yeah, it would have so much better if they got involved in a totally unnecessary firefight.

Yeah, it would have so much better if they got involved in a totally unnecessary firefight.

I dont think they were talking about the part involving the capture itself which is what you are talking about. Their issue was with the sailors participating in a video after capture.

In 2007, the same thing happened to some British sailors -- mechanical difficulties, drift into Iranian waters, get taken in. The Iranians held them for 13 days, and put them in all sorts of promotional photos and videos. Some of the British sailors claim to have been tortured. Getting these sailors back, unharmed, in less than 24 hours is due to diplomacy.

But in the GOP Presidential candidate fever dream, anyone so much as pointing a middle finger at an American abroad without getting carpet bombed in response is evidence of the appalling weakness of a nation that spends more on its military than the next umpteen countries combined, so they fell all over themselves to wail and moan about American weakness, a few hours before American diplomacy got the sailors back. It must be exhausting and terrifying to live in the world of a Republican politician.

This is totally true. 

Based on any rational analysis, it's hard to see this incident as anything other than a complete and total win for Obama's diplomatic stance toward Iran. 

The GOP's complete and utter obsession with symbolism - and the idea that people in other countries need to be killed for these kinds of symbolic sleights against American hegemony (which have been going on for as long as American hegemony has been a thing) - is just completely absurd. I want to believe that a majority of the Republicans standing up on that stage last night know that what they're saying is complete bullshit and that they're just playing to the audience, but my suspicion is that a few of them are sincere, and that is a pretty frightening prospect. 

I dont think they were talking about the part involving the capture itself which is what you are talking about. Their issue was with the sailors participating in a video after capture.

Ah, okay. I think the sailors should be commended for not over-reacting and turning a petty little situation into an international incident.

This is totally true. 

Based on any rational analysis, it's hard to see this incident as anything other than a complete and total win for Obama's diplomatic stance toward Iran. 

The GOP's complete and utter obsession with symbolism - and the idea that people in other countries need to be killed for these kinds of symbolic sleights against American hegemony (which have been going on for as long as American hegemony has been a thing) - is just completely absurd. I want to believe that a majority of the Republicans standing up on that stage last night know that what they're saying is complete bullshit and that they're just playing to the audience, but my suspicion is that a few of them are sincere, and that is a pretty frightening prospect. 

Well a big part of the problem is the lack of thought towards international issues by most americans. I mean even Zelticgar´s original post is completely devoid of any mention of the sailors origin. It´s just Navy sailors.

Well a big part of the problem is the lack of thought towards international issues by most americans. I mean even Zelticgar´s original post is completely devoid of any mention of the sailors origin. It´s just Navy sailors.

Do other countries have Naval fleets? I thought that was an American thing?

Do other countries have Naval fleets? I thought that was an American thing?

Yes...? In fact the sailors got captured near a Revolutionary Guard Naval Base.

I think that there were some Iranian internal politics at play here. I believe the Revolutionary Guard and some of the more extreme mullahs are opposed to reconciliation with the US. It's possible they were trying to spark an incident and derail the process.

Archived