10 Cloverfield Lane

Spockydog

To have it suck less? I hope if there ever is a proper Cloverfield sequel they ditch the shakey-cam. 

But anyway this is not a sequel but a "blood relative." From what's been reported it seems like it's related to Cloverfield in the sense that I'm related to Charlemagne. 

I like the trailer.

I love the cover of I Think We're Alone Now and how it was used. It took me a moment, I was listening and bobbing my head and thinking "Oh, this song, memories :wub: !" then I realized, wait it's a cover, it was originally Tiffany that things this!

Intrigued enough to put it in my Netflix queue.

ETA:

And once again I prove I'm an idiot. But a suspicious one. I had to look up the song and realize that Tiffany's version was actually the cover and the trailer is playing Tommy James and the Shondells' version from 1966 :dunce:

I'll leave my original stupidity unedited though, otherwise I won't learn.

I didn't really care for Cloverfield, not sure I have even watched it a second time. If there was nothing else out I guess I would go and see this. The camera work did nothing but annoy me in the original.

13 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

And once again I prove I'm an idiot. But a suspicious one. I had to look up the song and realize that Tiffany's version was actually the cover and the trailer is playing Tommy James and the Shondells' version from 1966 :dunce:

I had no idea which was the original either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Glad to see this movie is at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. I really did like the trailer, how it set things up, and I like this cast. I want this to be a good movie.

But now a confession: I never saw Cloverfield.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Glad to see this movie is at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. I really did like the trailer, how it set things up, and I like this cast. I want this to be a good movie.

Good for you, it wasn't very good. And the whole handheld thing was just nauseating. I'm glad this film appears to be completely different and that it is attracting rave reviews :) 

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

49 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Good for you, it wasn't very good. And the whole handheld thing was just nauseating. I'm glad this film appears to be completely different and that it is attracting rave reviews :) 

No, it wasn't very good, but I found it entertaining.  I think Drawk has the same kind of taste I do - bad - so he'd probably like it on some level.

:P 

I haven't seen Cloverfield, but I think I'll have to now. Been following this director for years with TRS and his appearances on /Filmcast, there's a short film he did based on Portal, if anyone wants to have a look. It's sort of surreal to think of him as the director of this movie! Hopefully it's out here next weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the film.

Quite liked it but the end is not the best.

The idea that this a film that was developed entirely separate from the Cloverfield setting can clearly be believed if you've seen it.  A title of The Cellar makes a great deal of sense and the connection to Cloverfiels is tenuous, at best.

Still, the story that there is well told and tense. Worthwhile I thought.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

I've seen the film.

Quite liked it but the end is not the best.

The idea that this a film that was developed entirely separate from the Cloverfield setting can clearly be believed if you've seen it.  A title of The Cellar makes a great deal of sense and the connection to Cloverfiels is tenuous, at best.

Still, the story that there is well told and tense. Worthwhile I thought.

Agreed.  i didn't hate it, but I wouldn't recommend seeing it in the theater.  It just seemed like it couldn't really decide what it wanted to be.  is it a psychological thriller?  Is it a post apocalyptic drama?  Is it an alien movie?

• 1 year later...

I watched it last night.  It wasn’t…great, but also not horrible.  Many poorly executed ideas that really squandered some interesting potential.  Also it doesn’t add or detract from the franchise, plot wise, much at all.  You won't miss anything by skipping it.

eta:

The overlapping realities could have been cool, but the effects of it were so nonsensical and random that the few that worked got lost among the absurd.  The alternate crew member being on board was cool.  Even being stuck in the wall kind of worked assuming some slight shift in positioning.  But the guy with the exploding worms? Or the gyro thingy inside his belly? WTF was that?

I've haven't seen the Netflix film yet, but haven't watched Cloverfield Lane yet, either. I wonder if I need to, in order to understand the Netflix one. I'll probably watch the Netflix one simply because it's there. Weird promotion for the movie. I would say well done to JJ and the other people involved, but only if the movie would be actually good.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I've haven't seen the Netflix film yet, but haven't watched Cloverfield Lane yet, either. I wonder if I need to, in order to understand the Netflix one. I'll probably watch the Netflix one simply because it's there. Weird promotion for the movie. I would say well done to JJ and the other people involved, but only if the movie would be actually good.

Cloverfield Lane didn't have anything to do with Cloverfield, so I doubt it matters. It's a great film, but it's really a standalone.

I just watched Paradox and it was ok. It started out decent enough but gets pretty messy as it continues. I was bored by the end.

3 hours ago, The Mance said:

I watched it last night.  It wasn’t…great, but also not horrible.  Many poorly executed ideas that really squandered some interesting potential.  Also it doesn’t add or detract from the franchise, plot wise, much at all.  You won't miss anything by skipping it.

eta:

Reveal hidden contents

The overlapping realities could have been cool, but the effects of it were so nonsensical and random that the few that worked got lost among the absurd.  The alternate crew member being on board was cool.  Even being stuck in the wall kind of worked assuming some slight shift in positioning.  But the guy with the exploding worms? Or the gyro thingy inside his belly? WTF was that?

Spoiler

And the gyro thing was found because the loose arm told them somehow! Wtf? It's like they were trying to make scenes weird for weird's sake. It was an interesting concept but not excuted very well.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Hide contents

And the gyro thing was found because the loose arm told them somehow! Wtf? It's like they were trying to make scenes weird for weird's sake. It was an interesting concept but not excuted very well.

Gah!  Yeah the arm thing was ridiculous.  Like, ok so our guy loses his arm to the other dimension, fine.  But, also, other dimension’s guy loses his arm to our uni, but can somehow still see/know exactly what issues we’re facing here?  Sooo…why can’t our armless guy see whats going on with his arm in the other uni?

Anyhoo, I wish they’d done more with swapping crew members between dimensions.  Like, instead of just the one woman, the crews had swapped closer to half and half, or maybe doubled up one or two crew members in one uni.  And then given a bit more thought/angst to staying/returning to which reality.  That, and/or having the station appear closer to and still in contact with the now warring factions on Earth.

Why do they keep doing this? This movie, along with 10 Cloverfield Lane, had nothing to do with JJ's original Cloverfield, until some wanker in a suit thought it would be a good idea to rebrand it and shoehorn it into the Cloverfield Universe.

Archived