24 reboot - Without Jack, it's not 24 (Spoilers)

Rhom

Fox has ordered a new pilot for 24, but without Jack.

Very early in the planning stages, but 24: Legacy would be a 12 episode run like Redemption and feature an all new cast of characters with "nods" to former characters.  It will focus on the activation of sleeper cells to be relevant to today.  (Feel like they did that plot a few times already...)

Considering how they left Jack at the end of the last series, I'd really rather just pick up from there.

Dammit Chloe!  We're out of time!!!!!

Edit:  Now including spoilers

I wonder what they mean by nods. Is it a reboot? Or is there the potential for Jack to eventually show up / be revealed as the villain? I wonder if the woman they set up last season didn't want to come back or something. 

I wonder what they mean by nods. Is it a reboot? Or is there the potential for Jack to eventually show up / be revealed as the villain? I wonder if the woman they set up last season didn't want to come back or something. 

I don't know.  I liked her on the show.  :dunno:

This is a pitiful attempt at carrying 24 on.

Lets be honest, it was a good show for a while but it ran too long and got stale, how they left Jack wasn't right though.

Agreed.  On all points.

The way Jack ended the actual series was a fantastic way to go out.  The end of Redemption, wasn't.

ETA:  Oops... it wasn't Redemption, that was the weird movie thing they did when there was a writer's strike or something.  It was Live Another Day.

how they left Jack wasn't right though.

Unless Sutherland decided he's done, I think this whole "no ongoing characters" from the old seasons thing has to be a bit of a fakeout. I really don't think they intend to leave Jack's fate up in the air forever. He'll be back. Probably even in this first new season.

Honestly making Jack into the bad guy is about the only thing they could do to get more mileage out of the character, and really the show as a whole. Hopefully they'll make him a legit bad guy, and not rehash that shit they did with Alemeida. His disillusionment with the government and however many years spent being tortured by Russians should be enough to push him over the edge. 

given I didn't watch the last season at all and only made it into through the first few episodes prior to that I can appreciate why they'd want to keep the concept and start fresh. The problem is that I think the format was done to death.

With this, Prison Break and X-files Fox really seems bereft of ideas. Any chance of another stab at a show people would have actually wanted more of eg Firefly?

• 2 weeks later...

The guy who played Dr. Dre in "Straight Outta Compton" has been cast as the lead in 24: Legacy.

The reboot of the iconic action series has cast Straight Outta Compton breakout Corey Hawkins in the leading role.  

Taking over for previous series star Kiefer Sutherland, Hawkins will play an entirely new character named Eric Carter in 24: Legacy. “Strong and smart, Eric came from a very rough background and turned his life around in the Army Rangers,” reads the official description. “Now back home in Virginia with his wife Nicole, he’s pulled back into action as his past comes looking for him.” Carter will join forces with the Counter Terrorist Unit to try and prevent an attack on American soil. 

Fox Television chairman and CEO Dana Walden and Gary Newman said they sought out a diverse actor for the leading role. “We wanted [the star] to be as different from Jack Bauer as possible, whether that’s an African-American or a Latino actor,” Walden said, with Newman adding: “As envisioned, the lead character would be diverse, so that will be our first effort in casting. As always, we’re going to cast the best actor we can find for the role. As you can imagine, bringing 24 back, we want to really try to create some distinction and make this feel different than Jack Bauer’s 24, so having a diverse actor in that lead role I think would be helpful in doing that.”

I dunno.  Sometimes I think you are just trying to be different for the sake of being different.  I'm sure the kid will be fine, but something about all of this just doesn't smell right to me.

Just now, Jack Bauer 24 said:

The whole situation just sucks. I thought he was bland in TWD, but 24 without Jack is just heartbreaking.

I guess I'm in the minority who thinks they've gone as far as they can go with Jack as the hero (further than they should have, honestly.) Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. By the fifth or sixth season, the people in charge should have basically dropped everything when Jack called saying there was a terrorist threat. I mean the man had saved the city/country/world on multiple occasions. Yet they'd still act like he was a crazy man who didn't know what he was talking about. It just got too ridiculous. 

I remember the first two seasons as being great (mountain lion notwithstanding.) The next few were entertaining but pushing it. Then it just got silly and more often then not, bad. I feel like maybe there was a brief return to form at some point, but I can't remember. The last twelve hour season started off promising but turned out to just be more of the same. Eventually the shows format became a mark against it, as they were dragging out boring plots to get to twenty-four episodes.

Anyway, I still don't think we're going to see 24 without Jack, at least not yet. I'd be willing to bet money that he'll show up in some capacity (what else is the "Legacy" of the title if not Jack's legacy?) In fact I think the title supports my theory that Jack will be (one of?) the villains of the season. 

I'm hesitant to even call it my theory because it's such an obvious move. Like I said before it's the only way to get more mileage out of the character. I just hope they don't do the "pretending to be a villain to get to the even more evil guy" thing again. 

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

I guess I'm in the minority who thinks they've gone as far as they can go with Jack as the hero (further than they should have, honestly.) Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. By the fifth or sixth season, the people in charge should have basically dropped everything when Jack called saying there was a terrorist threat. I mean the man had saved the city/country/world on multiple occasions. Yet they'd still act like he was a crazy man who didn't know what he was talking about. It just got too ridiculous. 

I remember the first two seasons as being great (mountain lion notwithstanding.) The next few were entertaining but pushing it. Then it just got silly and more often then not, bad. I feel like maybe there was a brief return to form at some point, but I can't remember. The last twelve hour season started off promising but turned out to just be more of the same. Eventually the shows format became a mark against it, as they were dragging out boring plots to get to twenty-four episodes.

Anyway, I still don't think we're going to see 24 without Jack, at least not yet. I'd be willing to bet money that he'll show up in some capacity (what else is the "Legacy" of the title if not Jack's legacy?) In fact I think the title supports my theory that Jack will be (one of?) the villains of the season. 

I'm hesitant to even call it my theory because it's such an obvious move. Like I said before it's the only way to get more mileage out of the character. I just hope they don't do the "pretending to be a villain to get to the even more evil guy" thing again. 

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I was hoping for Jack to die last year during the series just to get closure and not ruin his character even more. And yes, if he appears it will either be to die helping whoever the new main character is or as the bad guy, kinds like Jacks partner in season 2 or 3?

I would be fine for a 24 series without Jack, because how long can the guy who saved the president, state, country, and world stay  hidden from the bad guys and still get inside information as if they don't know who he is! James Bond that was a direct shot at you as well!

28 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I was hoping for Jack to die last year during the series just to get closure and not ruin his character even more. And yes, if he appears it will either be to die helping whoever the new main character is or as the bad guy, kinds like Jacks partner in season 2 or 3?

I would be fine for a 24 series without Jack, because how long can the guy who saved the president, state, country, and world stay  hidden from the bad guys and still get inside information as if they don't know who he is! James Bond that was a direct shot at you as well!

Which is why the end of the series was perfect.  The outgoing president knows what he had done, but can't offer much more than a window to go into hiding. Jack rides off into the sunset with the (secret) thanks of a grateful nation.

The way they left him in LAD was far less satisfying and certainly more open to a follow up series.

I also agree that his female partner in LAD was set up far better as a logical continuation or Legacy if you will, than a random Army Ranger.  

And at the risk of being non-PC, the public comments sound more like they were hiring a black guy just to have a black guy.  No, the complete opposite of Jack is not a guy with a darker skin tone; because Jack's being a white guy was never a defining quality of his character.  Open up an open casting call for young guys and pick someone who also happens to be black, and that's fine... But still not appreciably different than Keifer 16 years ago when this all started.  (Wow... I feel old.) Unless a defining characteristic of Eric Carter as a character is his race, it just seems almost like pandering.

I really don't care about Jack at all. The interesting thing in this show was the real time concept - essentially the characters were pretty much irrelevant. With their constant time jumps they had every opportunity to put the characters in new situations and have them develop into new people off-screen, but they chose to pretty much ruin everything and make this show a travesty.

Making it all about Jack/saving the world was also a sort of inherent problem. The first season showed that you tell an interesting story without the threat of nukes going off every minute.

53 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I really don't care about Jack at all. The interesting thing in this show was the real time concept - essentially the characters were pretty much irrelevant. With their constant time jumps they had every opportunity to put the characters in new situations and have them develop into new people off-screen, but they chose to pretty much ruin everything and make this show a travesty.

Making it all about Jack/saving the world was also a sort of inherent problem. The first season showed that you tell an interesting story without the threat of nukes going off every minute.

I agree. The time concept is by far the most unique thing about 24. I like Jack, but I saw from Live Another Day that he can be replaced by another action hero. Don't know much about this Corey Hawkins guy, but I think they can make it work. But hopefully they don't have the repeat trend of everyone else being incompetent to make the hero look super good. 

Archived