24 reboot - Without Jack, it's not 24 (Spoilers)

Rhom

The Carter guy was in the new King Kong? I watched that yesterday and didn't recognize him.

@lancerman

Saunders was pretty good but he was introduced too late in this completely convoluted season. They turned things often completely around that it got a little bit over the top. But Junkie Jack was a great idea as was giving Kim something useful to do for once.

Season 4 is essentially trash. The whole busting Heller out of jail is pretty hilarious alone. As is how the evil terrorist gets away again and again.

If they hadn't killed Tony but just sent him into a coma it would have been great to have him back in the game as an embittered guy looking for revenge. But the whole Muslins-and-Russians thing with Jack's evil family (a not so bad idea) just taking the back seat was crap. His brother and father should have been much more important characters. Especially in light of the fact that it would have been interesting to delve deeper into this 'Jack is actually the runaway son of one of the most powerful/wealthiest industrialists in the country' concept. That could enabled them to do something different with the character. Say, have him take over the company at the end and then have him start in the next season from an entirely different starting point.

That was the good part of them always jumping ahead in time. People could be in completely different scenarios. But with Jack it was always the same once he had become a criminal/hunted. He was brought in to the job. Again and again.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The Carter guy was in the new King Kong? I watched that yesterday and didn't recognize him.

@lancerman

Saunders was pretty good but he was introduced too late in this completely convoluted season. They turned things often completely around that it got a little bit over the top. But Junkie Jack was a great idea as was giving Kim something useful to do for once.

Season 4 is essentially trash. The whole busting Heller out of jail is pretty hilarious alone. As is how the evil terrorist gets away again and again.

If they hadn't killed Tony but just sent him into a coma it would have been great to have him back in the game as an embittered guy looking for revenge. But the whole Muslins-and-Russians thing with Jack's evil family (a not so bad idea) just taking the back seat was crap. His brother and father should have been much more important characters. Especially in light of the fact that it would have been interesting to delve deeper into this 'Jack is actually the runaway son of one of the most powerful/wealthiest industrialists in the country' concept. That could enabled them to do something different with the character. Say, have him take over the company at the end and then have him start in the next season from an entirely different starting point.

That was the good part of them always jumping ahead in time. People could be in completely different scenarios. But with Jack it was always the same once he had become a criminal/hunted. He was brought in to the job. Again and again.

Which is really where I thought the travesty was in Live Another Day.

The series ended perfectly with the Hillary knock off president (man... did they ever get that one wrong :lol: ) sending Jack off with the (covert) thanks of a grateful nation, but overtly making him go on the run.  Perfect.

Now he rots in a Siberian prison for no reason.

14 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

He was one of the lead actors.

Spoiler

He was the science guy with John Goodman who had the hollow earth theory. His name was Houston Brooks

I was just expressing my own inability to recognize him. Mostly due to the glasses, I guess, and that I watch 24 in English while I saw King Kong in the dubbed German version, which means the man also had a different voice.

I saw that as testament to his ability to actually play different roles rather effectively. But I might just be confused.

I think his mimic in the show really gives a depth to the fact that he misses killing people all that much. He really wants to do the kind of stuff he is used to do very badly. There is a lot of potential there.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Which is really where I thought the travesty was in Live Another Day.

The series ended perfectly with the Hillary knock off president (man... did they ever get that one wrong :lol: ) sending Jack off with the (covert) thanks of a grateful nation, but overtly making him go on the run.  Perfect.

Now he rots in a Siberian prison for no reason.

Well, wasn't that supposed to be some sort of open ending, with Jack having the chance to come back again, eventually. What I found was a real travesty was killing Audrey instead of deciding to give both her and Jack a happy ending. They should have taken that chance to give the thing a real good closure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, RumHam said:

This one kinda got away from me after the first episode. Is it worth watching? 

It has gotten better as the season goes on.  Its definitely still 24.  Didn't take any real chances.  If you liked the original show even when it wasn't at its best, this show is still enjoyable.

The last episode airs Monday!  They seem to have left the Nicole/Isaac plotline where it stands for now.  Unless there's some sort of conclusion to the show where she tells him she's left with Ike, I don't see much room to resolve it in the last 60 minutes. 

Tony seems to have been all in on finding Rebecca only to give up and then drop it entirely in favor of kidnapping a kidnapped 11 year old girl.  :dunno:   Looks like somehow, they'll tell Tony that this girl is the only way to save Rebecca and it will call off his cabin assault just in time.

And of course, just for good measure... the Asian Ryan Chappelle had to be choked out by the guy who got tazered in the first episode to keep him from interfering with satellite coverage!  :lol: 

Welp... looks like I'm the only one still following along.  It ended about like a season of 24 would be expected to end.  I liked it well enough in the end.  No announcement has been made on whether it will be renewed or not. 

25 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I liked it, it's pretty much what I expected from a season of 24. Clearly sets up enough players for a second season to happen.

Yeah.  Jimmy Smits was fairly boring for most of the season; but his turn in the last five minutes makes him potentially far more interesting moving forward.

Also... do we think Rebecca was truly worthy of the Silent Clock?

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah.  Jimmy Smits was fairly boring for most of the season; but his turn in the last five minutes makes him potentially far more interesting moving forward.

Also... do we think Rebecca was truly worthy of the Silent Clock?

Nope, that should be reserved for long running 24 characters. I do like that they at least killed her, need a high profile death every once in a while. Too bad she went out like a hero if she truly was the one who decided to kidnap the daughter.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Nope, that should be reserved for long running 24 characters. I do like that they at least killed her, need a high profile death every once in a while. Too bad she went out like a hero if she truly was the one who decided to kidnap the daughter.

I like that it was left ambiguous about whether it was her or not though.

Archived