Jon Snow---warging

justincase1

I'm not going to pretend that I know half of what the smart posters on this board know! All I can say is thank you so much for the hours I have spent reading the different threads and gaining more insight than I ever could have arrived at on my own.

I am confident the folks here will help me gain a better understanding of Jon and his warging abilities.

Jon has experience with wargs (after meeting one in the free folks) and he has 'wolf dreams' but is there anything in the text I am missing somewhere that clears it up, as far as Jon knowing HE is a warg?

Does he understand his 'dreams'?

Sorry if this has been discussed. If it has, could someone kindly post a link to the thread.

edited to add: I have read all the books, so I'm not concerned with 'spoilers'.

Jon knows he is, but does not want to accept that side of himself. 

He is basically told he is by the Wildlings when he is with them, no one says Hey Jon Snow do you understand that you are a Warg, I bet you dream in your wolf. 

But they call him Warg. And he grasps that he is one, but he simultaneously denies it to himself because he does not want to be a Warg. 

He dreams in Ghost and gradually begins to understand what is happening. And as I said he is called Warg, by Wildlings, he can detect when another he meets is a Skinchanger, and they can detect that he is too, Boraq calls him brother as he passes through the gate into CB for instance. 

Jon has so far never deliberatly changed into Ghost, he only slips in whilst dreaming. But I think his stabbing will prove to be his first concious shift into Ghost. Bran learned to jump into Summer through Jojen's guidance. But he first jumps to Hodor when under duress and danger in Queens tower. 

Arya only ever dreams as Nymeria, but under duress was able to jump into the cat in the HofB&W. 

We know Robb dreamt as Grey Wind, but without a POV we don't know if he knew to become him whilst awake. But his dying words are Greywind and so we wonder did he jump at that point? 

Much like Jon going down with Ghosts name on his lips could imo mean he's coming to with a wolf pelt on his back and the lust for blood in his belly.  

• 8 months later...

This is my first time posting so don't get too mad at me if I make a mistake or to but...

This post seems fitting to make a statement on a closed topic of Jon being a beserker(link here Jon the Berserker). Jon becoming a berserker and losing control is because of, IMO, his warging abilities. I think that Jon has fits of strength when he is very angry because somehow Ghost lends him his strength. This would mean that warging can swing both ways.

When Jon spars with Iron Emmett in the courtyard, he loses control and ends up handling Emmett easily although he doesn't remember any of it. I think that is Ghost taking over when Jon needs it most. Similar to when Bran takes over Hodor, where Hodor is still there but in a corner of his mind. I believe the same is for Jon in this instance where Ghost took over and Jon went to a small corner in his mind thinking of a memory with Rob. And at this point, he does not realize that this warging happened.

Its possible the same thing is happening at the end of his final chapter of ADWD. It may be he says the name Ghost because he recognizes him entering into his body. Him saying "Stick them with the pointy end" could be an instruction to Ghost, just like he instructed Arya.

So with him feeling Ghost entering his body, I feel like he could finally understand that he is a warg and that him and Ghost have the ability to help each other out in dire(no pun intended) situations.

Qhorin Halfhand knew what Jon was as soon as he met him. That is why Mormont agreed to let Jon go with him back at the ranging near the Fist/Milkwater mission. Mormont knew, Qhorin knew and most likely the bestest wooden teeth clatterer Dywen knew. Jon has a wolf dream and wakes up to find it's true and then he is asked about it by the rangers:

• A Clash of Kings - Jon VII

Jon was confused. "It was only a dream."
"A wolf dream," the Halfhand said. "Craster told the Lord Commander that the wildlings were gathering at the source of the Milkwater. That may be why you dreamed it. Or it may be that you saw what waits for us, a few hours farther on. Tell me."
It made him feel half a fool to talk of such things to Qhorin and the other rangers, but he did as he was commanded. None of the black brothers laughed at him, however. By the time he was done, even Squire Dalbridge was no longer smiling.

Weirwoods Eyes mentioned Borroq already. We have this about Borroq from Jon:
  • A Dance with Dragons - Jon XII

"Borroq." Tormund turned his head and spat.
"A skinchanger." It was not a question. Somehow he knew.   <(Jon is learning. YAY!)

By the time Jon gets to the second half of Dance, he knows he and Ghost are one, that Ghost is of the old gods = Jon is of the old gods, and he starts to accept that.
  • A Dance with Dragons - Jon VII

Jon smelled Tom Barleycorn before he saw him. Or was it Ghost who smelled him? Of late, Jon Snow sometimes felt as if he and the direwolf were one, even awake. The great white wolf appeared first, shaking off the snow. A few moments later Tom was there. "Wildlings," he told Jon, softly. "In the grove."

When Jon is mutiny stabbed, the entire process is a reflection of Rhaegar, Bran, Robb and the life lesson he teaches Arya. I have been writing about it for a while, but finally started to pull it all together here if you want to read it. (Please don't feel obligated)
I do very much agree with others here when they say Jon calling out to Ghost in his last word is him consciously warging Ghost for the first time, which goes in to the parallel of Jon and Robb at Robb's mutiny.

Congrats on your first post. You read the books, so dive on in! :cheers:

Archived