the last mortal bond- Brian Staveley

Westerosi Coast Gangster

I thought the first book was one in a long line of Tor's 'next big thing' that I didn't buy into. Three royal brats, two brothers and a sister.  The sister is immediatly forgotten about and gets about twenty pages.  One brother joins some sort of elite air force made up of boarding school children and violent junior high tactics.  The other is beaten by a monk in some sort of twisted karate kid style training (instead of wax on, wax off it is ill beat you with a stick and it will make you better).  Then they all work to save their kingdom somehow.

A lot of people I trust say book two was better but I continue to stare at it and wonder if I care.

I'm really looking forward to it.  It debuted with Blood Song, Powder Mage, Wexler's series, Red Knight, Grim Company, and some other new "Grimdarks".  It stood out for me and I'll be following it.  I gave up on Malice, Wexler's Shadow Campaigns, and When Heavens Fall. I consider it better than Powder Mage, equal to Blood Song (but with a better sequel) but not as good as the Red Knight.

DR, have you read Col Buchanan's Heart of the World series? It's not quite the same as Drexler but it plays in the same ballpark, and is very good, if you like the one you could well enjoy the other.

It doesn't seem to get talked about very much - got a little bit of play when the first came out, but the sequels have flown under the radar.

Yep, I'm looking forward to Last Mortal Bond; these books deliver generous helpings of action fantasy entertainment if you're buying what they're selling. It's a long way from my "most anticipated," but I confidently expect it will be solidly enjoyable and do what it says on the tin, and that giant hawks will murder the fuck out of a whole bunch of people.

What's it like? Honestly, in relation specifically to the first one, The Emperor's Blades, not much to get worked up about on paper: As SkynnJay mentions it's a royal offspring come of age and come into their destinies story, very much in the old tradition in terms of how the narrative flows, just with more blood and a certain number of swears. I'm not good at "rating" violence and levels of darkness, but while it's got nothing on Lawrence, say, nothing at all, there's a lot of carefully-described blood and cutting and suffering, and a puzzling mixture of real-world cursing and some of the most annoying and repetitive made-up swearing I've encountered recently. As mentioned above the training sequences -- for both brothers -- delight in extravagant physical torture as a way of driving home how hardcore the trainers are / the trainees are becoming. It takes an absolute age for the main plot to rev all the way up, and the coming-of-age stories that fill the space vary -- the one with the monk brother I found mega-dull, but the one with the giant hawk commandos gives some good fantasy military nonsense funtimes, though it relies on violence against women a fair bit and includes one of recent epic fantasy's most irritating and disheartening fridgings.

However, the action is fun and the pages flow, and there are hints of a wide, crazy fantasy world deeply embedded in a fun embrace of classic tropes but with an interestingly twisted history of its own. And the second book starts delivering on those hints in ways I thought were satisfying. I found that the second book really got its shit together. The characters still do annoying shit, but there's a lot more forward momentum on the fun and engagingly all-out plot, with armies and prophecies and divine agendas and clashing goals leaping out of everywhere in a way that Staveley starts to draw together and orchestrate well. It's not the deepest fantasy thematically, at least in terms of how it speaks to me, but if you're down for a traditional epic fantasy story planted on a solid base and executed increasingly well as it goes on, with a couple vigourous infusions of metal in its presentation, I'd say this serves up the good stuff pretty well. It is for me, since I see this has come up, not even remotely as good as Wexler, certainly with many solid qualities, but a clear level down from Shadow Campaigns.

Archived