the last mortal bond- Brian Staveley

Westerosi Coast Gangster

I uh, I don't know how much joking is actually going on here, but Erkison is one of the last people I think of as 'clean". I mean, I also don't consider him to be really grimdark, either, but I don't know, it's all speculative.

Fuck you DR!!!!

You know how liberal this board is, you should at least put a trigger warning at the start of your post!

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Maester Llama said:

Try Wexler maybe, if Malazan and Unhewn Throne didn't work but you're still interested in looking for one of these newer military-type fantasies that works for you? Wexler is where it's at.

Or go for Bloodsounder's Arc trilogy by Jeff Salyards.Unlike the Wexler ,it's finished so you don't have to wait. ;)

I couldnt get into the whole military type fantasies. Tried the Powder mage and Shadow Campaigns - Ive still got the third powder mage book on my to read list (its been there for the past few months and I just never feel like picking it up), but I read half of the thousand names and then put it down. Maybe its just the flintlock type military fantasies that are boring to me cause I really like the Traitor Son Cycle.

Coming back to topic - The Last Mortal Bond is one of the books I'm looking forward to the most this year. Thats mainly because of book 2 - sets this book up very nicely. The author tries (and succeeds to a good extent) to not have a good guys vs bad guys fight - lots of moral ambiguity which is good to see. Also I love a book that can make me hate a character as much as I do a certain princess in this book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm reading the Shadow Campaign right now but it's all subterfuge instead of cannon balls and muskets. I like espionage and such but I was hoping for some flintlocks firing in formation. Also, no one has gotten laid yet.

I like Staveley's writing just fine but I weary of youngish coming of age protagonists. Whoever pointed out the "fridging" of a female character is dead on. The first book has very little girl power. And a little less of tortuous circumstances. It's not enough though to make me stop reading the series.  

Archived