Has anyone read______?

Muwhahaha

Wasp Factory?  Might be a fun way for the fam to make light of a recent trip that went a little pear-shaped recently (we do a multi-family book club some friends a couple times a year).  I am kind of concerned there might be some anti-Christian themes, we are vigilante about not exposing the kids to filth.

On 02/02/2016 at 10:46 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I love it. People that don't are obviously CYLONS!

And wow, I think The Company is one of his fastest paced books. IF you thought that was slow you should probably avoid the rest. To be fair, they are very slow, but I like slow.

Agree with this completely. If you think that The Company is slow don't waste your time with the others. I think that The Engineer Trilogy is superb. Might even re-read it soon.

On 2/25/2016 at 5:26 AM, TheMightyKC said:

Wasp Factory?  Might be a fun way for the fam to make light of a recent trip that went a little pear-shaped recently (we do a multi-family book club some friends a couple times a year).  I am kind of concerned there might be some anti-Christian themes, we are vigilante about not exposing the kids to filth.

Depending on one's idea of 'filth' the Wasp Factory might not be what you are looking for.  If you're the least bit troubled by Arya's murders, well, the kid in the WF is a murderer too.  It's a bit of a disturbing story of a disturbed kid with a very disturbed parent and disturbed sibling.

I loved it.

• 4 months later...
On February 25, 2016 at 6:26 AM, TheMightyKC said:

You're on a forum dedicated to a book about incest, rape, murder, zombies, and dragons and shit.  You know that, right?  Can't get much more 'filthy' than that.  Although I think this post was made as a joke, or at least I hope it was.  You censoring what your kids/friends/book club reads seems like a shitty thing to do. 

11 hours ago, peterbound said:

You're on a forum dedicated to a book about incest, rape, murder, zombies, and dragons and shit.  You know that, right?  Can't get much more 'filthy' than that.  Although I think this post was made as a joke, or at least I hope it was.  You censoring what your kids/friends/book club reads seems like a shitty thing to do. 

I get that; just want to make sure there is no anti-Christian themes presented in a positive light to the kiddos ;)

1 hour ago, TheMightyKC said:

I get that; just want to make sure there is no anti-Christian themes presented in a positive light to the kiddos ;)

What the hell is going on right now?   DR, is this an alt you made up to troll the shit out of us? 

Just now, TheMightyKC said:

I'm sorry, I don't know what I've done to give offense? I'm just looking for good, wholesome, relatable books to share with my family :mellow:

Sorry, this is just not the norm for this corner of the inter webs.  The christian thing, and the wholesome bit doesn't really jive with the theme of George's work (the books the forum is dedicated to).  Just seems strange to see that type of solicitation for advice.  Just odd.  

I am curious as well about what you think is anti christian?  You reference the bachelorette (again, sounds like a joke) as something that was against your values, and if thats your low mark, you're going to have a tough time getting something out of the recommendations thrown about these parts. 

14 minutes ago, peterbound said:

Sorry, this is just not the norm for this corner of the inter webs.  The christian thing, and the wholesome bit doesn't really jive with the theme of George's work (the books the forum is dedicated to).  Just seems strange to see that type of solicitation for advice.  Just odd.  

I am curious as well about what you think is anti christian?  You reference the bachelorette (again, sounds like a joke) as something that was against your values, and if thats your low mark, you're going to have a tough time getting something out of the recommendations thrown about these parts. 

Ah, I think I see now :) 

I don't want you to think that because my family an I are evangelical Christians that we hide in some kind of backwards bubble. Believe it or not, I have involved in productions of secular dramatic presentations. I can differentiate between what one presents on screen or stage and what one may believe. My wife and I can enjoy the fantastic production of Game of Thrones and the like (while the kids are in bed, of course!) I can even appreciate the many cautionary tales of the dangers of arrogance, hubris, and lack of faith, whether or not they were intended as such by Mr Martin. 

Mat the same time, I want to raise my children in a wholesome Christian environment. We don't discourage critical thought, but don't won't to have our family exposed to such works that present anti-Christian ideals (as in acceptance of homosexuality, promiscuous or premarital sex, atheism, et cetera) as, if you'll pardon the expression, as gospel ;)

I was amply asking after this book "The Wasp Factory" as it caught my eye after a dramatic run in with some of Gods more chitinous creations during a family vacation, lol. I gather from the responses I got, that his book isn't for us, :)

2 hours ago, TheMightyKC said:

The Wasp Factory, not for kids, The Wasp Factory written by Iain Banks, an atheist.  Perhaps not the best choice for Christian themes.

5 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Ah, I think I see now :) 

I don't want you to think that because my family an I are evangelical Christians that we hide in some kind of backwards bubble. Believe it or not, I have involved in productions of secular dramatic presentations. I can differentiate between what one presents on screen or stage and what one may believe. My wife and I can enjoy the fantastic production of Game of Thrones and the like (while the kids are in bed, of course!) I can even appreciate the many cautionary tales of the dangers of arrogance, hubris, and lack of faith, whether or not they were intended as such by Mr Martin. 

Mat the same time, I want to raise my children in a wholesome Christian environment. We don't discourage critical thought, but don't won't to have our family exposed to such works that present anti-Christian ideals (as in acceptance of homosexuality, promiscuous or premarital sex, atheism, et cetera) as, if you'll pardon the expression, as gospel ;)

I was amply asking after this book "The Wasp Factory" as it caught my eye after a dramatic run in with some of Gods more chitinous creations during a family vacation, lol. I gather from the responses I got, that his book isn't for us, :)

So you don't discourage critical thought, but you only allow them to think about things you deem 'wholesome'.  Right.  That style of parenting always works out in the end.  

Good luck with that.  Censoring what your offspring can and can't see seems a little heavy handed to me, as does the thinly veiled hatred for a large majority of the board here.  Keep fighting the good fight.  You're a dying breed, and one I'm glad to see fade away. 

Archived