Has anyone read______?

Muwhahaha

25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah also not sure how The Wasp Factory would ever come up as appropriate for kids? It has a reputation along the lines of stuff like American Pyscho and Silence of the lambs for being really really fucked up.

The Wasp Factory was not like the one passage I read in American Psycho.  I could only read one page of AP and that was too much for me.  TWF is still really fucked up tho.

1 hour ago, peterbound said:

I am curious as well about what you think is anti christian?  You reference the bachelorette (again, sounds like a joke) as something that was against your values, and if thats your low mark, you're going to have a tough time getting something out of the recommendations thrown about these parts. 

I don't know about it being anti-christian necessarily, but The Bachelor and The Bachelorette are some unholy crap, no doubt.

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 11:46 PM, LongRider said:

The Wasp Factory, not for kids, The Wasp Factory written by Iain Banks, an atheist.  Perhaps not the best choice for Christian themes.

Iain Banks was also considered while he was alive to be of the greats of modern literature. That was for his mainstream writing. His really good stuff is his SF writing. He may have been an atheist  but he did have a sense of optimism and a fondness for the human race. And yes I read The Wasp Factory. 

9 hours ago, maarsen said:

Iain Banks was also considered while he was alive to be of the greats of modern literature. That was for his mainstream writing. His really good stuff is his SF writing. He may have been an atheist  but he did have a sense of optimism and a fondness for the human race. And yes I read The Wasp Factory. 

Not all of his stuff was optimistic, and are you implying atheists aren't optimistic?  They run the gauntlet of human emotions.  Anyway, the book A Song of Stone I found to be very dark and disturbing and would rather read TWF any day over that one!  I enjoyed both his traditional fiction and SF both.

Kristin Labransdatter by Sigrid Unset

My grandma gave it to me saying her sister and she were both unable to finish it.  It sounds interesting but it is really long and small font so I could understand two 80+ year old women not completing it.

2 hours ago, Shuvuuia said:

Has anyone read Brian Ruckley's Godless World trilogy? Without spoilers how dark is it (lots of violence, sexualised violence?)

It's fairly dark.  Depends on what you are used to.  I'd put it in the newer tradition of the genre, i.e. showing violence, sex, and death in a more realistic light. 

It's not tokien, but it's also not bakker.

36 minutes ago, peterbound said:

It's fairly dark.  Depends on what you are used to.  I'd put it in the newer tradition of the genre, i.e. showing violence, sex, and death in a more realistic light. 

It's not tokien, but it's also not bakker.

idk, i don't read fantasy except for ASoIaF, Neil Gayman and Stephen King if horror counts.Does it have graphic rape, since that is what i mostly want to avoid?

19 hours ago, Shuvuuia said:

idk, i don't read fantasy except for ASoIaF, Neil Gayman and Stephen King if horror counts.Does it have graphic rape, since that is what i mostly want to avoid?

Honestly I can't remember.  Maybe? 

Someone should make a 'trigger warning' website.  I really don't pay attention to it as something that offends/shocks/scares me. 

On 7/28/2016 at 7:31 PM, Shuvuuia said:

No, not that I recall. There are fairly graphic torture scenes, though. It's pretty dark, not so much because of the level of violence, but the whole series is infused with hopelessness. I found it too depressing.

4 hours ago, peterbound said:

Honestly I can't remember.  Maybe? 

Someone should make a 'trigger warning' website.  I really don't pay attention to it as something that offends/shocks/scares me. 

Thanks! 

(i really wish there was something like 'trigger warning' website or a guide attached to ebooks, although my trigger is difficult to actually pinpoint cause it depends on the way it is depicted. after asoiaf and while rereading King i'm just sick of rape as plot device) 

Just now, Hereward said:

No, not that I recall. There are fairly graphic torture scenes, though. It's pretty dark, not so much because of the level of violence, but the whole series is infused with hopelessness. I found it too depressing.

Thanks!

I'm ok with torture (in the books). 

Yeah its DARK and there's some fairly gruesome torture bits but I don't remember any graphic sex/rape related scenes. To be fair I still have yet to read book 3, not because I don't like it, it just got lost in the shuffle and I haven't gotten back to it.

And yeah nothing in it approaches some of Kings stuff so you're probably fine.

There was a topic loong ago where a believe a therapist was looking fo books without rape for some of her patients, but it was probably eaten in an update.

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

There was a topic loong ago where a believe a therapist was looking fo books without rape for some of her patients, but it was probably eaten in an update.

This one?

On 29.07.2016 at 11:15 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah its DARK and there's some fairly gruesome torture bits but I don't remember any graphic sex/rape related scenes. To be fair I still have yet to read book 3, not because I don't like it, it just got lost in the shuffle and I haven't gotten back to it.

And yeah nothing in it approaches some of Kings stuff so you're probably fine.

Thanks!

I think i'll give it a try

Archived