Masculinity

Wise Fool

3 hours ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Reading this thread is making me pro-Ebola.

I think what Hrokkan is saying here is that there's a lot of... stuff being thrown around in this thread and that he thinks a plague to wipe out humanity wouldn't be a bad idea, so we can start over - a mild attempt at a joke, I think.  He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Lyanna didn't quite understand what he was driving at, so she came back with her reply.  I think what she's driving at is she took Ebola in a Masculinity thread to be a non sequitor and wanted clarification.  She can set me straight if that's not what she meant.

Temba, his arms open wide.  :P 

32 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

To be fair, buttercups are hermaphroditic, like all flowers.

ETA: @Wise Fool- Haven't you learned that boarders with higher post-counts than you must be given their due deference? I mean they've been here since it was just a bunch of people scratching cuneiform onto stone tablets, so who are you to have an opinion? Learn to grovel a little more and you'll do alright.

Or maybe just apologize and move on - like the rest of us have done from time to time.

Maybe if the Ebola virus wasn't so fixated on his masculinity, he wouldn't think it was so cool to kill all these people.

ETA: Obviously molecular biologists should be working on nano-skirts and garters, what these macho phages need is a little forced feminization.

8 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I think what Hrokkan is saying here is that there's a lot of... stuff being thrown around in this thread and that he thinks a plague to wipe out humanity wouldn't be a bad idea, so we can start over - a mild attempt at a joke, I think.  He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Lyanna didn't quite understand what he was driving at, so she came back with her reply.  I think what she's driving at is she took Ebola in a Masculinity thread to be a non sequitor and wanted clarification.  She can set me straight if that's not what she meant.

Spot on. Maybe it's not everyone's type of humour, but the more people I see on the internet, the less faith I have in our species.  I am genuinely growing very pessimistic in my view of other people.

6 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

Maybe if the Ebola virus wasn't so fixated on his masculinity, he wouldn't think it was so cool to kill all these people.

I'm too busy working on my biceps, doing keg stands, scoring with the ladies, moisturizing my chin-strap beard and shooting bears to worry about something as girly as diseases, bro.

13 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

What the fuck does it mean to be a woman? To be feminine? I don't feel at all feminine but I also don't feel masculine whatsoever. I still don't understand how people in thos thread class masculinity and what defining traits they associate with it...I'm rambling...sorry I will continue to just lurk this thread I think...

The question was put already in 1949.

It would appear, then, that every female human being is not necessarily a woman; to be so considered she must share in that mysterious and threatened reality known as femininity. Is this attribute something secreted by the ovaries? Or is it a Platonic essence, a product of the philosophic imagination? Is a rustling petticoat enough to bring it down to earth? Although some women try zealously to incarnate this essence, it is hardly patentable. It is frequently described in vague and dazzling terms that seem to have been borrowed from the vocabulary of the seers, and indeed in the times of St Thomas it was considered an essence as certainly defined as the somniferous virtue of the poppy

You could argue that a similar question could be asked about masculinity.

11 hours ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Spot on. Maybe it's not everyone's type of humour, but the more people I see on the internet, the less faith I have in our species.  I am genuinely growing very pessimistic in my view of other people.

What, specifically, in this thread made you lose faith in our species? I cannot tell if it's Wise Fool's posts, mine, or somebody else's.

On 09/02/2016 at 2:33 AM, Wise Fool said:

Ah, but I never claimed that having a good cry, holding each other for comfort, or being called buttercup are actually unmasculine behaviors or traits. Did I? Let alone feminine. Because you see, I don't believe they are.

You do.

Oh sure, it was indeed an attack, but it wasn't on your or Stego or TKS's actual masculinity. It was on your ideas about masculinity, and it worked wonderfully, I might add.

Males, whose beliefs can be generally categorized as "MRA" (although there may be many good diamonds in this rough) or more specifically anti-feminist, believe masculinity is to never cry, to never hold one another, to not be named buttercup. This assumption tends to underlie their opinions and it can be brought out, unfortunately, with little effort.

I mean hasn't TKS bragged on this forum about how many women he's picked up? Do you honestly expect people to believe you and he are on the side against sexism?

Sure, I've suggested you boys are weak and whiny, but those are universally negative traits. It was you who decided to assign them to "feminine," and in fact for you to think of feminine as the opposite of masculine. Personally I would describe 'masculine' traits as simply growing up. The fully actualized, mature male, not the sexist immature male who can't seem to stop thinking women, and specifically feminism, are out to get him.

So no, your appeal to emotion that I am somehow "feminizing" TKS or Stego or you for that matter is not a valid argument. And by equating "weak" or "having a good cry" with "feminizing" or non-masculine, you've revealed that you believe in gender stereotypes.

Except that I've never belittled traditionally regarded or existing feminine traits, present in many males also, as being negative characteritics. Given that I'm bisexual, though I prefer women, I don't see how such views would be productive if I possessed them. I am not an anti-feminist. I am anti Radical Feminism purely, which has largely been usurping gender-equality, non cultural or gender relativist, feminism  over the last twenty or so years: and which is essentially a segregationaist, collectivist-consciousness based, hate movement, detested by most non Marxist feminists. Your making of gender assumptions about what I, and a lot of other males actually think, or our political agendas - in the case we don't support PC viewpoints derived entirely from Frankfurt School ideology - in the name of counter-prejudice, somewhat undermines your  case.

22 hours ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Try not to let the internet color (discolor?)  your view of people. Most people are not such total jackasses like they are online. Let people hide behind a keyboard and its easy for them to puff out their chests and be rude & nasty. Its pathetic, but there it is. 

22 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

:wub::P:wub:

On 2/10/2016 at 4:02 AM, The Killer Snark said:

Except that I've never belittled traditionally regarded or existing feminine traits, present in many males also, as being negative characteritics. Given that I'm bisexual, though I prefer women, I don't see how such views would be productive if I possessed them. I am not an anti-feminist. I am anti Radical Feminism purely, which has largely been usurping gender-equality, non cultural or gender relativist, feminism  over the last twenty or so years: and which is essentially a segregationaist, collectivist-consciousness based, hate movement, detested by most non Marxist feminists. Your making of gender assumptions about what I, and a lot of other males actually think, or our political agendas - in the case we don't support PC viewpoints derived entirely from Frankfurt School ideology - in the name of counter-prejudice, somewhat undermines your  case.

Ah, yes. "Traditionally regarded or existing feminine traits." Meaning, those traits you happily assigned to "feminine" by your own self because you have internalized harmful gender stereotypes. Again - once again - I did not do any such assignation. I let you do it, and you were way, way too happy to do it.

I do enjoy hammering home the same point, only for the soft, rotten wood I'm putting nails into to give way completely every time. Maybe I should use smaller words.

This thread is not a place for your misogynist crusade against "Radical" Feminism. It never was. Please get the fuck out with that shit.

Wise Fool -

Here's a typical bunch of quotes from Radical Feminists in order to show just how rational they are, and my doing so has nothing to do with misogny. I don't take anything to do with radically politicised sexists no matter what gender they happen to be. These people are absolute fruitcakes, and I have encountered as bad or worse than these, and been harrassed by them in addition, on my time using the 'Net.

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Havent-Lost-My-Virginity/1269918

Additionally, I don't regard existing perceptions of male and female socio-biology as being negative unless we're living in the sort of Middle Eastern or tribal society country where patriarchy is actually in existence, in the same way it is inexistent in the West outside of Putin's Russia. Traditionally, rape culture and the oppression of women have been constants, however, in the sort of Communist dictatorships your Frankfurt School conditioning is in advance of imposing, since your conditioning is ubiquitous, against the values of the West.

Are you really trying to tell me that there's such an objectively classifiable thing as fixed masculinity but that femininity is a social imposition and does not actually exist? Have you arrived at this conclusion empirically or are you simply living in a closed balloon?

Archived