MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

I don't know how I scored that fight, so technical and so close I definitely would need to rewatch. But holy fuck, I don't think there's anyone in the sport I admire more than Dominick Cruz. No one but him could come back from such a brutal injury stint of injuries and beat a guy as good as TJ. His leg was also hurt BAD in that fight, I'm shocked at how well he wore it. He's a warrior and probably the smartest fighter in the sport. Really an inspiration. 

Mad respect to Cruz, and he flowed like water out there, but I gave it to Dillishaw. Credit due to Cruz for hanging in there, but TJ had fucked him UP by the end of the fight and controlled the ring better. Cruz got the takedowns, but they went absolutely nowhere. I was actually surprised that Dillishaw didn't try to work on him from the guard, but I suppose that's not his style.

Mad respect to Cruz, and he flowed like water out there, but I gave it to Dillishaw. Credit due to Cruz for hanging in there, but TJ had fucked him UP by the end of the fight and controlled the ring better. Cruz got the takedowns, but they went absolutely nowhere. I was actually surprised that Dillishaw didn't try to work on him from the guard, but I suppose that's not his style.

I had it 3-2 for Cruz but so crazy close. TJ messed up Cruz's leg, Cruz messed up TJ's eye.

Not as bad as Travis closing Meathead's eye, but then nobody's had their eye closed like Meathead's eye was closed. Dude looked like he was about to go trick or treating by the end of the fight.

Yeah, Meathead's eye was grotesque.

I also scored it three rounds for two for Cruz. I had TJ clearly winning the last two rounds, but none worth a 10-8 or anything.

Feel good story win for the still/new champ!

Alvarez went the smart fight way and used the old RDA game plan. It worked for him, but he didn't look like no RDA. Can't think of anybody who looks so dangerously slick throwing the pressure grind on like RDA, come to think of it.

But this Fox card gave me something else than the fights. Never in my life believed I'd hear Pantera as the backdrop for a fast food commercial. Thanks you Hardees/Carls Junior for breaking out some "Broken"!!! I'd stop in for some of that shit if we had that chain up here, just for kudos.

I had Cruz winning, but it was super close. Glad to see him get his belt back. Definitely deserves it after everything he's been through. Hopefully his foot doesn't keep him out long. He seems to be confident that it isn't anything big, but I guess we'll have to wait for the MRI to come back.

Faber is still in a pretty good spot here. If they give him TJ or the third Cruz fight he still gets another big fight.

I can't see him being a huge MMA star but if they can find someone to feed to him so he doesn't embarrass himself I'm sure he'll bring some pro wrestling eyeballs. He's old and a long way from a Brock Lesnar in terms of combat sports pedigree though so there's no way he ever gets within a mile of a belt.

Meanwhile, I feel for TJ losing a close one, but I hope they do Faber next. He won't be as much of a challenge for Cruz but he'll make the trash talk much more fun and it'd be a perfect way to round out the trilogy.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Nobody thinks CM Punk has a chance to be a huge star?

In MMA.....? Do you not understand that he's like 37 and been training MMA for like a year? There's zero chance of him doing anything substantive or meaningful in this sport let alone become a 'star'. This is pure freakshow spectacle, this is a guy who had his debut in a MMA video game before he made his MMA debut (amateur or pro).

It'd be like if the NFL signed Leonardo DiCaprio and the NFL also had to sign a bunch of amateur nobodies just to create teams bad enough for DiCaprio to compete in. And the next installment of Madden had DiCaprio playing in the actual NFL teams because he's famous. It's a fucking joke

I find myself disagreeing with the judges again but not as much as when they had Lawler over Condit.

I'd have given this to Dillashaw, all in all. Close, but I feel he just to the better of him towards the end.

Most agree that TJ won the last two but the majority of people seem to give Cruz the first 3 but those first 3 are *really* close. I lean Cruz but a scorecard for TJ is totally defensible. Cruz's well timed takedowns helped a lot imo, even though they weren't that effective overall, in a fight so close to hit 2 or 3 very well timed takedowns against TJ - it was significant but people would dispute that because TJ was up pretty quickly. 

I also thought the Pettis fight was super close, it's pretty crazy after Alvarez's debut against Cerrone that he comes back to beat Pettis. Alvarez isn't very flashy especially for that division but he's gritty and tough enough to give anyone a good fight. Would love to see Alvarez vs Khabib for the next title shot. 

Alvarez/Khabib seems like a pretty good title eliminator. Either of those guys against Ferguson works for me too.

Man, Cote is looking good these days. Glad to hear he's finally battled into a winning ufc record. He's taken out too real tough guys in a row, and looked pretty slick in doing so. Good for him.

Really have to hope Pettis can develop some wrestling fast. I mean, what the hell was his buddy Ben Askren even teaching him all those years? His fancypants kicks are legit but as far back as Guida it was shown he had this fundamental flaw in his game when it came to dealing with pressure on the cage and it seems he's done nowhere near enough to adjust to that, relying far too much on this notion that he can stop guys with those kicks every time when that's clearly far from the case.

That's one of the reasons I'm not bothered by Conor immediately getting the chance to fight RDA.

Pettis would be one of the first challengers in that division and I think he'd get knocked out by McGregor.

I'm not bothered by Conor's immediate chance to fight RDA. I am bothered by him not vacating the fw belt if he does beat RDA. Champions end up fighting seldom enough. We don't need two belts being held the fuck up by one guy.

I'm not sure Conor would ko Pettis. I was thinking on Sunday night about what an awesome fight that would be. Two stand up movement kings. I don't think Conor has it in him to try and wrestle grind Pettis. It could be a stand up master piece.

Archived