MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

13 minutes ago, Gears of the Beast said:

???

They put on free fight cards *all the time*. The majority of UFC cards are on FS1 like the card this weekend which has some solid fights. 'UFC on FOX' cards are more infrequent but are almost always stacked as fuck and occasionally have title fights on them.

Right, I am just saying the need to keep doing this. Boxing used to be on tv a lot more often and not just fights that no one cared about either. Then PPV took over and it was rare to see a boxing match on tv and I personally think boxing has suffered from a lack of exposure, that's all.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Right, I am just saying the need to keep doing this. Boxing used to be on tv a lot more often and not just fights that no one cared about either. Then PPV took over and it was rare to see a boxing match on tv and I personally think boxing has suffered from a lack of exposure, that's all.

The only way it would stop is if they went all-in on Fight Pass. They have been putting more emphasis on Fight Pass recently - next lightweight title fight  - but that's likely because their deal with Fox is up soonish and they're gonna leverage its success to get a good broadcasting deal. Rumours that they're gonna ditch Fox and go to ESPN. There's no way they switch primarily to PPV though, the numbers outside of Rousey and McGregor PPVs have been pretty shit and that would just tank them even more.

It's a good fight but I think Rumble KOs him without too much trouble. Seems like Rumble is just gonna walk through everyone in this division except the top 2. If he ever fights Jones it'll probably make me the most nervous I've ever been for a fight, the guy is fucking terrifying. 

Great fight with Glover vs Rumble, really excited for it. Holm vs Shevchenko as the co main. I really hope Rumble wins though. I think Jones has 2 fights left that I really want to see after he beats DC, Rumble and the Alexander rematch. Rumble is a scary dude with all that power.

I hope Rumble wins because he's a fresh match-up for Bones but Glover is terrifying. Aside from his title fight loss his only other UFC loss happened when his training was disrupted by setting up his new camp. Since then he's been fully focused and wrecking everyone they put in front of him just like Rumble has.

I mean, Glover wasted both OSP and Rashad more comprehensively than Bones did - and sure it wasn't the same Rashad as Bones fought, but it was a much more well-prepared version of OSP.

He's a great fighter. I just watched his match against Jon Jones and he put up a very good fight there, even if Jones deserved to win. I don't think Rumble is going to walk over him, but I do think this could be an awesome fight.

Rumble vs Cormier was one of the oddest fight experiences I've seen of late. Cormier literally just contained him.

Rumble was like an explosive that just kept being constrained the whole damn time, and suddenly it's over.

There's been rumours for a while that the Fertittas are in talks to sell the UFC, now ESPN is reporting it. The four companies supposedly bidding are WME/IMG, China Media Capital, The Blackstone Group and Dalian Wanda Group. Helwani says that he was told the Wanda Group is the frontrunner and the deal could be announced as soon as July. The valuation is apparently around $4 billion 

Also Anderson Silva has pulled out of UFC 198 this weekend. 

I see it is withdrawn now .

I hope to see him back in action soon, 201 would be fine. Finding a good opponent seems difficult with Jones, Cormier, Rumble and Glover all occupied.

I wouldn't put Gus against any of them right now anyway. He's coming off a war with Cormier and a brutal KO to Rumble. I don't think they make OSP fight Gus after he did them a solid on UFC 197. I guess maybe Bader? LHW just has no-one. After DC is retired and Jones moves up I have no idea what it's gonna look like. Probably Rumble destroying everything. 

42 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

DC is retiring and Jones is moving up to heavyweight??

Cormier's 37, if he loses to Jones again there's really nothing left for him to do. He proved without Jones in the picture he could rule the LHW division and his only losses would be to Jones. He has a clear future in analysis and/or commentary for the UFC. I think it's pretty obvious that he'll retire if he loses at 200. 

Jones has talked about moving up to heavyweight for a while but he's been more clear about it recently, saying he definitely will. When Cormier pulled out of UFC 197 he said he was looking to take any replacement fight at LHW or HW. The only question is when. 

Archived