Worst Sentence in the Series?

John Suburbs

On 1/20/2016 at 7:50 PM, dariopatke said:

It is really stupid idea, what if Ramsay gets caught? He also has huge plot armor and apparently grear powers, imagine that he managed to kill some of best Ironborn killers shirtless and them chased them with dogs (maybe they all got Reeked just for being in his presence so they started to fear a lot, I mean they are fully armored and they run from dogs like children amd why didnt no one throw an axe at Ramsay, he couldnt save himself). Than he completly owns Stanis, finnest battle commander in Westeros didnt have men guarding camp? They totally ruined his camp and just walked out. It all doesnt make sense. And actual scene is hilarious when he sais so confident "I need 20 good men". What is he gonna do next? Defeat WW(he will obviously kill Jon and Daenerys) while banging Melisandre on a horse while she explains him he is Azor Ahai and a day before he wakes up and sees that him sword became red and hot?

Plot armour eh...that is all Melsissandre is. Think about this..GRRM was at a loss for how Stannis could beat Renly and take his army so he gets some woman to makea shadow baby and kill Renly. Battle swiftly over. That is so lame, I've always hated that aspect of the books. Same with glamour. Oh Mance is dead...no not really.

Melissandre is one of the worst parts of the books. Hence why I dont quite like Stannis. Just keep using her to win all your battles you great war general you.

Plot armour eh...that is all Melsissandre is. Think about this..GRRM was at a loss for how Stannis could beat Renly and take his army so he gets some woman to makea shadow baby and kill Renly. Battle swiftly over. That is so lame, I've always hated that aspect of the books. Same with glamour. Oh Mance is dead...no not really.

Melissandre is one of the worst parts of the books. Hence why I dont quite like Stannis. Just keep using her to win all your battles you great war general you.

Agreed about Mel, not so much about Stannis. He used her with Renly, he could take Penrose in a duel, not at Castle Black and not at WF.

5 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

he could take Penrose in a duel, 

Then why didn't he?

5 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

not at Castle Black

Yes, he did. Melisandre burned an eagle that Varamyr was controlling, causing him to go insane. Otherwise, Mance would have been warned about the approaching threat and may have had enough time to prepare.

Then why didn't he?

Yes, he did. Melisandre burned an eagle that Varamyr was controlling, causing him to go insane. Otherwise, Mance would have been warned about the approaching threat and may have had enough time to prepare.

I dont know why not, obviously he could, it was discussed, but maybe he thought she can handle it, if sue didn't he would clearly chose a duel.

It would not change much, maybe his loses will be larger but he would win anyway, heavy cavalry vs poorly dressed savages with rocks and bones.

"Be that as it may. My father sat where I sit now when Lord Eddard came to Sisterton. Our maester urged us to send Stark's head to Aerys, to prove our loyalty. It would have meant a rich reward. The Mad King was open-handed with them as pleased him. By then we knew that Jon Arryn had taken Gulltown, though. Robert was the first man to gain the wall, and slew Marq Grafton with his own hand. 'This Baratheon is fearless,' I said. 'He fights the way a king should fight.' Our maester chuckled at me and told us that Prince Rhaegar was certain to defeat this rebel. That was when Stark said, 'In this world only winter is certain. We may lose our heads, it's true … but what if we prevail?' My father sent him on his way with his head still on his shoulders. 'If you lose,' he told Lord Eddard, 'you were never here.' "

Shut up Ned. We get it, your House's words are "Winter is coming". No need to jam it down our throats.

A few that some of the fandom has complained about:

She could feel the fear in her tummy, twisting and pinching, worse every day.

The invitation seemed innocent enough, but every time Sansa read it her tummy tightened into a knot.

Every time Joffrey looked at her, her tummy got so fluttery that she felt as though she'd swallowed a bat.

"There's to be so much, my lord. I have a little tummy."

The thought made her tummy flutter.

Even this close to shore, the rolling of the ship made her tummy queasy.

Collected from Clash and Storm. 

3 hours ago, of man and wolf said:

Not really because shadow babies are going to play a part in the later books most likely and GRRM already foreshadowed Mel's powers as far back as AGOT so he clearly had this in his head already. 

Anyways back on topic, I nominate the sentence about the ship sounding like a constipated old man in the Tyrion chapter 

talk about taking me out of the story as well as Cersei licking sticky pale princes off of her fingers 

For as good of a writer as GRRM is he has had some cringe worthy lines.  Surprised no one has said the infamous Darkstar line.  Whenver GRRM starts talking about semen I always just want to forget I ever read it.  

On 1/20/2016 at 6:08 PM, dariopatke said:

I know this is from show, but "bad pussy" and "20 good men" just have to be mentioned.

GRRM has had much much worse

On 1/20/2016 at 7:29 PM, bloodofthedragon1995 said:

I honestly wouldn't put this idea past D+D! I hate what they've done with Ramsays character. Show Ramsay is young, attractive, not at all scary and says very cliche lines '20 good men' and the shirtless iron born scene. Book Ramsay is freaking terrifying, ugly and huge and 100% insane sadist... Show Ramsay just gets away with everything despite having the intelligence and ignorance of an idiot...

How many good, young, ugly actors are there in the world? Book Ramsay is hardly even a character since he is so inherently bad and evil, there is no depth to him at all.  At least show Ramsay has some depth and is a character that you love to hate.  Criticize the show for what you want, but there are at least a dozen characters if not more that are improved by the show.  

6 minutes ago, Pancakes1800 said:

For as good of a writer as GRRM is he has had some cringe worthy lines.  Surprised no one has said the infamous Darkstar line.  Whenver GRRM starts talking about semen I always just want to forget I ever read it.  

GRRM has had much much worse

How many good, young, ugly actors are there in the world? Book Ramsay is hardly even a character since he is so inherently bad and evil, there is no depth to him at all.  At least show Ramsay has some depth and is a character that you love to hate.  Criticize the show for what you want, but there are at least a dozen characters if not more that are improved by the show.  

Well there is depth to him. 

He had a best friend named Reek and he felt lonely so he tried re-creating him with Theon. In the show, he does it on a whim.

Book Ramsay was also mentored wrong as a joke by Roose. And the word bastard and Snow when aimed at him is a trigger word for him. 

And Show Ramsay isn't someone you love to hate like Show Joffrey was. Show Ramsay is just someone you want out of the way so you could see other characters focused on more

Like Show Joffrey was an entertaining wimp you could rarely take seriously.

D&D actually think Ramsay is a badass and that they've created the ultimate villain.

9 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Well there is depth to him. 

He had a best friend named Reek and he felt lonely so he tried re-creating him with Theon. In the show, he does it on a whim.

This is your interpretation, but I don't agree with it.  

Book Ramsay was also mentored wrong as a joke by Roose. And the word bastard and Snow when aimed at him is a trigger word for him. 

Same in the show. 

And Show Ramsay isn't someone you love to hate like Show Joffrey was. Show Ramsay is just someone you want out of the way so you could see other characters focused on more

I don't agree.  

D&D actually think Ramsay is a badass and that they've created the ultimate villain.

Good to know that you know what the writers think about when they write.  Amazing ability.  Of course, GRRM is guilty of trying to create a badass character and failing miserably.  

29 minutes ago, Pancakes1800 said:

This is your interpretation, but I don't agree with it.  

Same in the show. 

I don't agree.  

Good to know that you know what the writers think about when they write.  Amazing ability.  Of course, GRRM is guilty of trying to create a badass character and failing miserably.  

Not really an interpretation. It's kinda obvious that's what happened. Reek's been his best friend for most of his life after all and then finding some guy and torturing him into pretending he's Reek just makes that make even more sense. 

And no Ramsay wasn't mentored wrong in the show. And the word bastard isn't a trigger word for Ramsay in the show. Book Ramsay would've cut off Sansa's feet for what she said to Show Reek.

Well Ramsay's a Villain Sue and Joffrey isn't. That's why Joffrey is easier to take. 

And it's not what I think. D&D have gone on record saying that they think Ramsay is a badass. 

Just now, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Not really an interpretation. It's kinda obvious that's what happened. Reek's been his best friend for most of his life after all and then finding some guy and torturing him into pretending he's Reek just makes that make even more sense. 

No it is an interpretation.  I think Ramsay does it as a power move for some control in his life.  

2 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

And no Ramsay wasn't mentored wrong in the show. And the word bastard isn't a trigger word for Ramsay in the show. Book Ramsay would've cut off Sansa's feet for what she said to Show Reek.

Which is why he is a better character in the show.  

The word bastard and reminders of his bastardness pisses off Ramsay just not to that level.  

5 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Well Ramsay's a Villain Sue and Joffrey isn't. That's why Joffrey is easier to take. 

Ramsay is a poorly written character in both the book and show, he just isn't as poorly written in the show.  

6 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

And it's not what I think. D&D have gone on record saying that they think Ramsay is a badass. 

Link? It's not like Ramsay is a badass in the books either so I don't blame them for trying to spice up a poorly written villain. 

17 minutes ago, Pancakes1800 said:

No it is an interpretation.  I think Ramsay does it as a power move for some control in his life.  

Which is why he is a better character in the show.  

The word bastard and reminders of his bastardness pisses off Ramsay just not to that level.  

Ramsay is a poorly written character in both the book and show, he just isn't as poorly written in the show.  

Link? It's not like Ramsay is a badass in the books either so I don't blame them for trying to spice up a poorly written villain. 

He didn't really get angry in the show. As I said nothing says that it's a trigger word for him. 

Ramsay's a secondary villain in the books and while he has some depth he's pretty one note. 

Ramsay is the primary villain protagonist in the show's Northern storyline and the closest thing we have in the show to a Villain Sue. He has a 20 man crack squad who is each an invincible and invisible ninja. Somehow he can find all the key spots of Stannis' supplies and food in a blizzard but a little thing like logic never slows this God down. How does he even burn them in sub-Arctic conditions? Don't know maybe he has laser eyes .

He also has his own beautiful, loving girlfriend and a true Stark wife because a fake Stark wouldn't do for the real King in da Norf. He's handsome, funny and ripped and he shows up his father from time to time. He's also an amazing sword fighter being able to take down several of the  50 best killers from Iron Islands bare chested as well as an Ace archer.  

Also here you go:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=194254223

13 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Ramsay's a secondary villain in the books and while he has some depth he's pretty one note. 

Ramsay is the primary villain protagonist in the show's Northern storyline and the closest thing we have in the show to a Villain Sue.

I'd disagree a bit here.  To this point Ramsay has been a bigger villain in the show, but I think that will change in TWOW.  In both the show and TWOW Ramsay will be the main antagonist in the North until either LF or the Others show up.  Don't think Ramsay is a Villain sue at all.

19 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

He has a 20 man crack squad who is each an invincible and invisible ninja. Somehow he can find all the key spots of Stannis' supplies and food in a blizzard but a little thing like logic never slows this God down. How does he even burn them in sub-Arctic conditions? Don't know maybe he has laser eyes .

He's also an amazing sword fighter being able to take down several of the  50 best killers from Iron Islands bare chested as well as an Ace archer.  

Because GRRM has never gone out of his way to brag about Ramsay's fighting ability.

Thanks for the link.

It's impossible to find a young, good, and ugly actor to find Ramsay.  Like I said Ramsay is a poorly written character in both the show and book.  I just think he is less poorly written in the show.  Look the show has deserved some criticisms(ie above), but there are at least a dozen characters that are improved and plenty of others that were adapted perfectly.  

5 hours ago, of man and wolf said:

I hope you realize this doesn't make a lick of sense. "At a loss for how Stannis could beat Renly?" If he was in any way concerned in this regard he could have simply given Stannis a bigger army. He set the entire scene, remeber?

If you don't like magic (which is really used judiciously in these books) perhaps you shouldn't read fantasy. 

14 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

He is a badass. In the books he concocts a plot to make himself Reek so they dont know he's actually Ramsay. He escapes certain death, manages to convince Theon he can help him and then escapes WF and comes back with an army and takes it, all the while mauling Rodrik. Then like a badass he comes swaggering in with attitude and says he's gonna have the girl Theon was having and then smacks the you know what out of him for his insolence. Badass.

13 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I hope you realize this doesn't make a lick of sense. "At a loss for how Stannis could beat Renly?" If he was in any way concerned in this regard he could have simply given Stannis a bigger army. He set the entire scene, remeber?

If you don't like magic (which is really used judiciously in these books) perhaps you shouldn't read fantasy. 

It's an easy way to basically win all your battles then isnt it. Why explain anything or go for depth when you can do that all the time? Hell, makes as much sense as Ramsay destroying Stan the mans hopes with 20 good men.

1 hour ago, of man and wolf said:

It's an easy way to basically win all your battles then isnt it. Why explain anything or go for depth when you can do that all the time? Hell, makes as much sense as Ramsay destroying Stan the mans hopes with 20 good men.

Not really. It sucks out your life force and didn't make things for Stannis. It made things harder for him.

Anyways shadowbabies will play a role later in the story and it was properly foreshadowed back in AGOT where Tywin mentions that Stannis has a shadowbinder from Asshai.

Archived