Songs You Never Realized Were Covers

drawkcabi

In the Cloverfield Lane thread I made an ass out of myself because I thought Tiffany's version of "I Think We're Alone Now" was an original. I never thought she wrote it, I just thought the song was written for her.

Then I learn it first came out in 1966 by a group called Tommy James and the Shondells.

I remember years and years ago trying to convince a relative that "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time" was not an original New Kids on the Block song but actually a Delfonics song first.

More recent ones that blew my mind were finding out Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was a cover of a song by Robert Hazard

And while technically not a cover but more than just a sampling, Coolio's Gangster's Paradise from Stevie Wonder's Pastime Paradise.

I always assumed Status Quo wrote "Rocking' all over the World".   But was curious as to why Bruce Springsteen should choose to cover a Quo song at some of his concerts ....

Only years later did I discover it was written and first recorded by John Fogerty.

13 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I'm pretty certain Queen ripped off Vanilla Ice...

:leaving:

And Rick James ripped off MC Hammer!

13 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I thought I knew everything, Drawk, but  you just blew my mind when you enlightened me as to "Girls just wanna have fun" not being originated by Cyndi Lauper.    :dunce: 

I know!

I thought I knew the music of the latter half of the 20th century, (once we get into the 2000's I fall really behind) but even there I find there is much I didn't know. Pastime Paradise really threw me for a loop.

This is where I found out about Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

I've known for a longtime now that Neil Young wrote Rockin' in the Free World, but there was a long stretch of time where I thought it was by Pearl Jam.

They both do great versions of it.

Man there's so many of these. There was a time I thought Knocking on Heaven's Door was a Guns and Roses original and that Annie Lennox came up with Whiter Shade of Pale. Same with Manfred Mann and Blinded by the Light.  And of course I spent 2/3rds my life thinking All Along the Watchtower was pure Jimi Hendrix. 

Of course you could have a whole subcategory in this thread of songs written by Bob Dylan. 

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Man there's so many of these. There was a time I thought Knocking on Heaven's Door was a Guns and Roses original and that Annie Lennox came up with Whiter Shade of Pale. Same with Manfred Mann and Blinded by the Light.  And of course I spent 2/3rds my life thinking All Along the Watchtower was pure Jimi Hendrix. 

Of course you could have a whole subcategory in this thread of songs written by Bob Dylan.

I remember getting into a very unnecessarily heated argument with my dad when I was a teenager about whether 'All Along The Watchtower' was originally a Jimi Hendrix song or not. Which I guess wasn't so much an argument as it was my dad going "You know Bob Dylan wrote this song" and me being a shitty teenager and assuming my dad just didn't know what he was talking about. 

Jimi's version is the definitive version though. 

I also had no idea 'Hurt' was originally a Nine Inch Nails song until years after hearing the Johnny Cash version. 

There's a lot of them out there. I think the one that really blew my mind was finding out that Respect was an Otis Redding song and not an Aretha Franklin original. Then there's Nothing Compares 2 U, which I think most of us know was written by Prince, but even though Sinead O'Connor's version was released first Prince's version was recorded first, making Sinead's version a cover. Weirdly Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann is actually a Springsteen song. I think the one that makes me feel the silliest is Proud Mary, which for the longest time I thought was a Tina Turner original, and not a CCR cover. 

I only recently realised The Wurzel's I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester was a parody of an American pop song (Brand New Key).

Weirdly Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann is actually a Springsteen song.

I didn't know Manfred Mann's The Mighty Quinn was a Dylan cover for a long time.

There's probably a lot of songs I thought for a long time were originals when they were covers, Soft Cell's Tainted Love or The Clash's I Fought The Law spring to mind.

5 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I only recently realised The Wurzel's I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester was a parody of an American pop song (Brand New Key).

I didn't know Manfred Mann's The Mighty Quinn was a Dylan cover for a long time.

There's probably a lot of songs I thought for a long time were originals when they were covers, Soft Cell's Tainted Love or The Clash's I Fought The Law spring to mind.

I didn't know "the clash" one!

I think a lot of people assume NIN covered "hurt" because of Cash's version.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

I didn't know "the clash" one!

I think a lot of people assume NIN covered "hurt" because of Cash's version.

This was the first one I thought of. My head was all like "Well Cash is older, so he must have made the original", oh how wrong I was.

When the 2 Coreys movie "Dream A Little Dream" came out, I first thought the song was new, then at the end when I heard the Mel Torme Mickey Thomas duet I figured the song had been around since the 50's or 60's.

It wasn't until Boardwalk Empire that I learned the song had been around since 1931.

And Dirk Diggler's "The Touch" was a cover of a Stan Bush original! :P

Tainted Love is the one that most surprised me.  There is a country song called My Maria that was a pop cover that surprised me at the time as well.

And now that Mysh has posted Respect makes my list.

Archived