Songs You Never Realized Were Covers

drawkcabi

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Gotta admit that I didn't realize, initially, that Nirvana was actually covering Bowie with "Man Who Sold the World".  I got hip quick to it being a cover, but then somehow didn't realize it was a cover of Bowie.  *sigh*

I thought it was one of the Meat Puppet covers myself. Learned something new today.

I do not think Hendrix was ever a songwriter.  So many of his songs can be considered as covers or as Hendrix's version.

There was defined difference between writers and musicians before the 60s-70s.  So you should see more covers or versions of songs.  It is in part what made Bon Dylan, The Beatles, and Rolling Stones among others so unique by them doing it all.

Most songs originally written and recorded by Nina Simone; that is, I was first introduced to the cover versions of her originals. Broke my heart a little since I think she was one of the most talented artists but she's somehow not getting quite as much credit/recognition as she should.

Way back when, I thought Jeff Buckley did the original of "Hallelujah."

What I didn't know was that Ellie Goulding and Lorde did covers of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and "Your Song." Or maybe I heard it and immediately blocked it out. I honestly find it shocking that someone didn't know the Tears for Fears and Elton John versions of these songs.

Somewhere along the line, I forgot who recorded the original "Lean on me." I want to say Bill Withers, but there are so many covers that I'm now inclined to believe his was also a cover.

9 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I do not think Hendrix was ever a songwriter. 

No, he most certainly was. He wrote the vast majority of the songs he recorded. But he was never averse to throwing covers in his live sets and recording a few.

2 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Somewhere along the line, I forgot who recorded the original "Lean on me." I want to say Bill Withers, but there are so many covers that I'm now inclined to believe his was also a cover.

You were right the first time, Bill Withers wrote Lean On Me.

I only recently discovered Running Up That Hill by Placebo is a cover of a Kate Bush song from the 80s. Her version has that distinctive 80s sound to it which they removed when covering it, but both are excellent.

I'm amazed that more people haven't thought Hallelujah was Buckley's as that's one of the big ones I see, and I'm surprised so many didn't know Hurt wasn't Cash's. His version is great, and so emotional, but I disagree it's more personal - Trent's is just as much so but in a different way. A wonderful example of covers done right, both musically and songs like that should only be done by people who they have personal relevance to.

13 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Hah, and here I thought for so long "Hallelujah" was Nick Caves original

Ps loooove "Running Up The Hill". The Chromatics to a pretty dope cover as well. 

Lol Nick Cave's Hallelujah is an original, completely different song that happens to share the name. Also an utterly amazing song, but less well known.  The Buckley one is Leonard Cohen's which is a very different performance, Cohen with his gravelly rumble and Buckey with his soaring beauty.  Both are great.  There is also a version by Rufus Wainwright that's well known thanks to being used in Shrek.

33 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Lol Nick Cave's Hallelujah is an original, completely different song that happens to share the name. Also an utterly amazing song, but less well known.  The Buckley one is Leonard Cohen's which is a very different performance, Cohen with his gravelly rumble and Buckey with his soaring beauty.  Both are great.  There is also a version by Rufus Wainwright that's well known thanks to being used in Shrek.

Haha, sorry... That was an old record store clerk joke

7 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Haha, sorry... That was an old record store clerk joke

Bah, like I'd know record store clerk jokes from another country, I wouldnt even know them from here!

I have a lot of these. I am not very well-versed in music and just kind of assume whatever version I hear first is the original. A couple notable ones that come to mind: Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal", Save Ferris's "Come on Eileen", and Counting Crows's "Big Yellow Taxi". Probably obvious to most people, but they were surprises to me!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived