Richard Morgan + Netflix = ALTERED CARBON TV series

Werthead

• 6 months later...

Update.

Filming is currently underway in Vancouver, they've shot three (of ten) episodes so far and the show's budget is bigger than that of Game of Thrones during its first three seasons ($6-7 million per episode), although a long way short of the show's current budget ($14 million!).

good to hear it's filming. There's a good chance we'll get this at the end of the year. If ScarJo's "ghost in the shell" is as good as the trailers suggest it could be a good year for cyberpunk.

I'm pleased they aren't scrimping on the budget either. I guess they won't need to go too overboard as Morgan's setting was quite grounded but they may need some CGI for parts and it depends how thorough they are with creating a futuristic setting - sometimes the small details cost a lot but are arguably worth it in immersing the viewer.

I wish it had been Morgan's The Thirteen (Black Man, in the UK) that was going to be a series rather than Altered Carbon.

I've been thinking of how he partitioned the mutually antagonist sections of the US in this book a lot in the last years.  But then, like Morgan, a lot of us were thinking about this potential for quite some time already too.

So I stopped watching Game of Thrones to enjoy the eventual books more, as I figured that was the superior medium. I stopped reading The Expanse cos I think the show is better and wanted that to be my first experience of it. Now I'm torn on whether to read this.......sounds like a great book and a very promising show. 

33 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

So I stopped watching Game of Thrones to enjoy the eventual books more, as I figured that was the superior medium. I stopped reading The Expanse cos I think the show is better and wanted that to be my first experience of it. Now I'm torn on whether to read this.......sounds like a great book and a very promising show. 

Altered Carbon is a seminal SF novel. Required reading for the genre.

Altered Carbon has to be the best debut sci-fi novel in the last 20 years in my opinion and I definitely welcome argument to this. I'd also recommend Woken Furies but that's the limit of Morgan's work that I've enjoyed thus far.

I wasn't enamored too much with Leviathan Wakes either. Reading it felt like a youth sci-fi novel -- and I don't mean that in a way to begrudge the authors. I just felt like it was a first time effort--entertaining and worthy of continued effort but not acclaim. Altered Carbon is a completely different beast as I recall. Rich in detail, Morgan drops you into his world (like GRRM) and it's up to you to keep up with the universe and events. 

• 8 months later...
On 28/02/2017 at 6:09 AM, WarGalley said:

Altered Carbon has to be the best debut sci-fi novel in the last 20 years in my opinion and I definitely welcome argument to this.

It's definitely up there. Faith by John Love and Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds can compete.

13 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I'm scared of those kind of claims given the shows that get cancelled by netflix are often the ones with that kind of accolade eg Marco Polo and Sense8. There's definitely a cost per view ratio (that's unknown to us) going on at netflix and having it stacked high to begin with puts a lot of pressure on the show - more than the usual positive of "they must have a lot of faith in the show to spend this much".

The scary thing is that if they were to follow the books - they'd have to spend as much (maybe more) for another season due to

it having a very different setting and more war style action than street fighting.

. I'm hoping they adapt Altered carbon in its entirety for season 1 but part of me wonders whether season 2 would be better suited to new stories that continue the cyber noir detective angle than those in book 2? Guess I'm getting ahead of myself which again is why i really hope season 1 is book 1.

9 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

So if I wanted to read this before it airs, the book Altered Carbon is the first in the series?... it looks amazing

Yup - it's not too long a read either. Additionally while the trilogy is a continuing series each book is very much its own thing so it's not like you need to read all three in one go. Although you may find it hard to resist the temptation.

Altered Carbon will always hold a special place for me as it was what got me back into reading fiction as a student when my flatmate (who was a part time bookseller) pushed it on me, along with "his dark materials" in his ongoing quest to get me to read books again. It worked.

My recollection is that it was indicated that they were not planning to follow the books, that they'll stick to the milieu of the first novel and, presumably, tell stories more like that one than the later stories. Not sure if Richard indicated it here at some point, or maybe I'm just conflating past speculations from fans, but that's my recollection.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

My recollection is that it was indicated that they were not planning to follow the books, that they'll stick to the milieu of the first novel and, presumably, tell stories more like that one than the later stories. Not sure if Richard indicated it here at some point, or maybe I'm just conflating past speculations from fans, but that's my recollection.

That would be for the best, I think. I loved AC but wasnt wild about the following two books, the third being barely readable, imho. 

Archived