Richard Morgan + Netflix = ALTERED CARBON TV series

Werthead

There's at least one really significant worldbuilding detail that's radically changed. Not sure what I think of it.

Also, the EW post's comment thread is utterly rancid with alt-right types. WTF?

13 minutes ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

Quellcrist as an Envoy and contemporary of Kovacs.

It looks like they've conflated Quellcrist and Vidara, and generally made Kovacs more of a revolutionary before the story starts than he was in the books.

They've also according to the article made Reileen Kawahara his sister, which I can only hope is a misunderstanding on the part of the author because that would be if anything an even bigger change, at least for Altered Carbon itself.

They announced that big change a year or two ago, it was in from the start. The other big change is no Jimi Hendrix AI, he got swapped out for Edgar Allen Poe. Some other things here.

I haven't seen this listed before: the directors on the show. Miguel Sapochik (Game of ThronesThe GiftHardhome, Battle of the Bastards, The Winds of Winter) directed the pilot episode. The other directors are Netflix regular Uta Briesewitz (Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Orange is the New Black), Peter Hoar (Daredevil, Da Vinci's Demons), Nick Hurran (Doctor Who, Sherlock), Andy Goddard (The Punisher, Luke Cage, Downton Abbey) and Alex Graves (Game of Thrones, Homeland, House of Cards, The West Wing).

But will there be entire episodes worth of overly graphic sexcapades or is this a truly radical departure from the source material? 

In all seriousness I really hope this is good. The first book was great. 

46 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They announced that big change a year or two ago, it was in from the start. The other big change is no Jimi Hendrix AI, he got swapped out for Edgar Allen Poe. Some other things here.

I wasn't paying too much attention to casting news, I admit. But that said:

Spoiler

The casting of Goldsberry as Quell, yes, looks like that was noted in 2016. That she's supposed to be an Envoy, no, don't think that was ever said from what I can find on Google. Seems to be new info. We'll see how it works out, folding Vidara with Quell.

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

Reveal hidden contents

The casting of Goldsberry as Quell, yes, looks like that was noted in 2016. That she's supposed to be an Envoy, no, don't think that was ever said from what I can find on Google. Seems to be new info. We'll see how it works out, folding Vidara with Quell.

Sorry I meant:

Reileen as Kovacs' sister, which I thought was a bigger deal personally.

Looking at the full cast list is quite interesting. Some well-known genre names there.

Matt Frewer! Adam Busch! Tahmoh Penikett! 

Episode 1 has a name now as well, Out of the Past

I think visually it has the right feel. It's difficult to say much more about it given that the trailer doesn't reveal much about the plot or give us more than a glimpse of the characters.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Hide contents

It does seem a bit odd. I think they could have dropped the Quellist background completely if they wanted given that it doesn't directly have an impact in the first book, but having Quell play a significant role instead seems surprising. I wonder how much she'll be like the Quell of the books, if she's more like Vidara then that would make it a bit pointless renaming her.

the quell / vidaura synthesis and kawahara / sister deal definitely make me a bit suspicious, but not nearly as much as changing the Hendrix to Poe

Also, just reread Woken Furies last weekend (found it under my truck seat while camping!) and enjoyed it more so than the first time through.

Still really looking forward to this show.

On the hotel change:

Jimi Hendrix's likeness is copyrighted. Either they refused to let Netflix option the likeness rights, it was too expensive or Netflix didn't even bother asking because it was a needless expense.

Makes me wonder how Wolfenstein: The New Order got away with it, but I suppose they never technically said the character was Jimi Hendrix (bit of think ice there though).

On 12/5/2017 at 11:01 AM, Werthead said:

On the hotel change:

Reveal hidden contents

Jimi Hendrix's likeness is copyrighted. Either they refused to let Netflix option the likeness rights, it was too expensive or Netflix didn't even bother asking because it was a needless expense.

Makes me wonder how Wolfenstein: The New Order got away with it, but I suppose they never technically said the character was Jimi Hendrix (bit of think ice there though).

OK, this will help my irrational rage at this change.  

Archived