Suicide Squad: Real Life or Just a Fantasy?

Myrddin

Like my earlier comment was hoping they've really toned down Harley. She has no lines in this trailer. Waller seems pretty awesome. It's a little short so nothing to really sink my teeth int, but it seems good, sticking with Queen is never a bad shout.

Katana continues to intrigue me, but we're not given much.

Looking at it in slow mo not really picking much out,

Waller has a gun, apparently interacting with Deadshot and Flagg both in combat gear, is she in the field?

Croc gets an underwater level.

They love that shot of Slipknot using a grappling hook, probably because we can all guess what happens shortly after.

Mysterious electrical explosion.

The Joker getting out of a Panda van seems amusing. Apart from that nothing else. He's in at least two bits, him in tux, him in the jacket, at some point he flashbacks with Harley, and at another point is involved in her 'birth.' I recall someone saying he was in custody and kept around to ensure HQ's compliance, so interesting we don't see any of this in the clips. I don't really want much of him in this film, just enough to claim the role. I want something far more dangerous to oppose the squad.

No enchantress at all, I guess they've revealed all they choose to of her role.

I love that we still don't know who or what the actual villain is. I wish more marketing campaigns would take this line, although I suppose it helps that so many of the characters are unknown to many viewers that they feel they can take their time introducing them in the marketing instead.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

There's a sort of trailer out:

It's described as a 'Soundtrack remix,' but it is effectively a trailer with a lot of the soundtrack on it. There is quite a bit of new footage.

Following on from what polishgenius said above, does this trailer give more of a clue who the villain is? 

19 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Following on from what polishgenius said above, does this trailer give more of a clue who the villain is? 

Maybe?

They mention Goliath and there's a shot of some weird tech monster but it's very brief. I still like the idea that Enchantress is the villain as there's very little of her in the trailers with the team and some of the monsters that are killed look a bit zombie/organic/moss in a way resembling her.

But it's nice to have a trailer/film where we still have no idea what the threat and villain(s). It's refreshing and I'll take knowing 50% of Harley Quinn's lines if it means we don't know the plot.

I am looking forward to this movie and I have little to no comic knowledge of this group. I prefer a little darker edgier super hero movies so this is right up my alley. I just hope they don't over do the edginess trying to capture what Deadpool did.

just read a few reviews and they were merciless. The best thing I've heard is that it's "better than BvS". Oh Dear.

Just wait for the DC fans to insist it's a Disney/Marvel conspiracy. I don't buy it - besides reviewers being used to the marvel style for superhero films. It's not that long since Nolan's Batman ended as an alternative approach though.

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

But it is disappointing insofar as the DCEU had a really strong comic-con, and yet still seems to be stumbling from film to film. 

It probably takes some time to course correct. I think after BvS they decided to make some changes, but were too far into post on SS to bring them into force there. WW and Justice League being just in the trailer stage gives them more wiggle room I suspect. I will be going to see it, and even the bad reviews have some positives so it's not total bad.

I'll probably still go and see it on a discount day next week.

I also like the idea that Will Smith has a good turn in this film - feels like it's been a while.

Mr Sunday actually delivers a good review too in terms of pointing out the pros and cons so I'll potentially listen to his comments.

It sounds like yet another superhero film with a third act curse.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Mixed to bad, is the general theme:

http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-early-reviews-bad/

I'm not sure the early reviews mean anything to me anymore at this point.

Pretty much every big budget movie I end up liking to some extent gets panned. Maybe the only big CG film that didn't get panned was Captain America Civil War and that is the one I liked the least. 

Like it or not, I think this move's box office will be heavily influenced by reviews, unlike BvS, which performed financially far better than movies that review in the 20% range on RT normally do. I exclude Warcraft from this as China is the only reason this movie's box office looks halfway decent, and it's still only at 50% of what BvS made. And as RT is a database of "western" reviewers it aligns fairly well with the disappointing box office from the USA (less than $50 million) and most other western markets.

With suicide squad we have a lot of villains that are pretty unfamiliar to the general audience, whereas with BvS, up until Iron man started muscling in, we have the two most well known movie and TV superheroes of all time. 

Also reading a few review synopses it sounds like this move probably would have benefitted from being on the R-rated spectrum rather than PG-13. But they were probably too far along the filming to course correct after the Deadpool effect showed R-rated DCU/MCU (yeah yeah, Deadpool isn't MCU but he is MU) movies can work.

The thing is in many ways thematically Suicide Squad is a better reflection of how we get things done in the real world than the hero movies. While we don't use actual convicted criminals to do the unpleasant work, we certainly have been using people who have psych profiles more in common with criminals than your typical fine upstanding citizen. We all like to think our heroes win our victories heroically. But I think that's not the case as often as we might want to believe. So exploring that dark reality of our world through the lens of the DCU could have made for an amazing movie. But it seems like they might have kept things pretty superficial and thought that getting too cerebral would be counter-productive.

I'm not sure, I think Batman's rogue gallery is better known than most. He's got the hugely successful Arkham games, the animates series, and they've mostly been around as long as he has. I think the draw of Harley Quinn (who is popular and known well out of comic circles,) and Will Smith playing a bad guy, will be pretty influential. Eh, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

On the deeper themes, a review mentioned there was a possibility to satirise the arming of the Taliban, and the use of private military companies, that could have been quite effective.

Archived