Suicide Squad: Real Life or Just a Fantasy?

Myrddin

15 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

\I'm not even going to start on the sexualization of the female characters, or how it was a running gag to see women beat, I could go on for days just ranting about that. 

Go on for days.  I'm calling you out on your pathetic bullshit.  Which women got beaten?

7 hours ago, Tinker Tanner said:

Marvel is getting praise for. Generic bad guys like...well i can't even remember the name of the antagonist in ThorTDW, or boring alien/mutan/robot/infected cannon fodder

Are Marvel getting praise for their villains? They're usually brought up by reviewers as the weakest part of the films. And a lot of them bring up the weakness of the third act. Even the almost universally loved Deadpool suffered on those points. The thing is that they are mostly accepted to be strong enough in other areas to overcome these shortcomings.

It seems to me the main complaint about SS, is tone and incoherence.

Edit: Urghg just realised Robbie Collins is sitting in for Mark Kermode this week, he's one of those people who can talk about a film for ten minutes and tell you absolutely nothing about it.

6 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

. Finally, the whole movie was shot in very little light making the tone once again dark and brooding. Zach Snyder has one note, and he is going to force it on us everywhere whether it belongs or not.

I can't comment on the whole thing until

Two things:

Zack Snyder didn't direct this, and isn't the chap in charge of the thing as a whole. I mean, you know this but you seem to be intent on making it all about him even when it's nonsensical to do so.

300 is not a particularly dark film visually, and neither is Watchmen considering it's set almost entirely at night. Man of Steel is an entirely daytime film with just the ending being at twilight (which looked awesome). So how does that comment even make sense as a criticism of Snyder anyway?

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I can't comment on the whole thing until

Two things:

Zack Snyder didn't direct this, and isn't the chap in charge of the thing as a whole. I mean, you know this but you seem to be intent on making it all about him even when it's nonsensical to do so.

300 is not a particularly dark film visually, and neither is Watchmen considering it's set almost entirely at night. Man of Steel is an entirely daytime film with just the ending being at twilight (which looked awesome). So how does that comment even make sense as a criticism of Snyder anyway?

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I light film for a living. 

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watch-What-Man-Steel-Would-Have-Looked-Like-Bleak-Coloring-71073.html

Also, Zach Snyder is in charge of every DC character and the tone of every DC movie. He is doing a terrible job. 

3 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I light film for a living.

Good for you, but you linking to that absolute pile of bollocks (they darkened the 'original' MoS footage considerably, which is probably why the original video isn't up anymore) takes back any credibility that might have lent you, at least when the subject is Snyder.

Also, Zach Snyder is in charge of every DC character and the tone of every DC movie. He is doing a terrible job. 

Proof please. Everything I'd heard was that even before BvS, which resulted in his influence being lessened continually, he was working to spec from above him to an extent, including from Christopher Nolan.

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Good for you, but you linking to that absolute pile of bollocks (they darkened the 'original' MoS footage considerably, which is probably why the original video isn't up anymore) takes back any credibility that might have lent you, at least when the subject is Snyder.

Proof please. Everything I'd heard was that even before BvS, which resulted in his influence being lessened continually, he was working to spec from above him to an extent, including from Christopher Nolan.

Again you have no idea what you are talking about. Snyder was relieved as head of the DCEU in May. He had his paws all over Suicide Squad, and it shows. 

As far as you talking about the lighting on Man of Steel, you are just wrong. Absolutely and completely wrong. Here is the guardian saying.

"His Superman reboot Man of Steel buried the human element in a wearying, badly lit orgy of urban destruction"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/shortcuts/2016/aug/03/from-suicide-squad-to-batman-v-superman-why-dc-films-so-bad-zack-snyder

Whether the blame is on Snyder or not, there is clearly an aesthetic to the DC movies that has been set up beforehand which individual movies will be unable to break free of. The tone is clearly darker, verging on realism in comparison to Marvel movies. SS looks to me like the Arkham games, which I personally find to be grimly unpleasant to look at. 

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Go on for days.  I'm calling you out on your pathetic bullshit.  Which women got beaten?

I didn't see the movie, but the reviews have covered this.

The film is a misogyny smorgasbord, from the way Robbie’s hot pants were apparently digitally shortened to cup her rear that much tighter, to the two(!) scenes in which a man punches a woman in the face for laughs. (In the second one, the guy says the woman had it coming because she had a mouth!)

Have you guys been reading the articles about the behind-the-scenes stuff? I knew Leto went method for Joker, but now there's stories about Ayer and alleged mind games. Apparently, he would pull weird stunts on set to elicit performances from the cast. Granted, it could all just be sensationalized to create a narrative around the weak film, but it has me wanting to watch a documentary about this movie -- it definitely would be more compelling than the finished product.

37 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Have you guys been reading the articles about the behind-the-scenes stuff? I knew Leto went method for Joker, but now there's stories about Ayer and alleged mind games. Apparently, he would pull weird stunts on set to elicit performances from the cast. Granted, it could all just be sensationalized to create a narrative around the weak film, but it has me wanting to watch a documentary about this movie -- it definitely would be more compelling than the finished product.

I've read some things on how he made the cast fight each other, like actual fist fighting and talk about their life stories. Some people said that he had a therapist on set to help the actors/actresses  through what he put them through. 

The more I read about this Ayer guy the more I dislike him(I read that he screamed out "f*ck Marvel" at the Suicide Squad premiere which is annoying cause Marvel as far as I know doesn't take swipes at DC). He did all of that to the actors plus Leto's method acting by being a asshole all for this film to suck. 

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Is this better or worse than when they only allow women to fight other women. Did people complain about Deadpool?

Since I haven't seen it, I can't say for sure. If its actually a fight, I think that's better than only allowing women to fight women. If its just men hitting women, I think its better to at least let women do something active, even if they're been segregated into their own separate fights.

13 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

It was absolutely horrible. I have had better times going to a dentist. I would write a more detailed review, but the film was such a jumbled mess of nonsense that it wouldn't be coherent anyway. They turned the Joker into an Insane Clown Posse Jugaloo. The final fight was laughable (I actually laughed), and looked better when it was done in The Pick of Destiny. There was absolutely nothing funny in the entire film. They even made the funny lines in the trailer not funny in the context of the movie. They did a terrible job of introducing the cast. The CGI (especially on Croc) was tragic, and did I mention that they completely screwed up the Joker? Jared Leto was far less Joker, and far more a guy trying to be Heath Ledger playing the Joker. Also, everything about him was perfectly symmetrical taking everything meaningful about the character away and leaving us with nothing but a clown.

I'm not even going to start on the sexualization of the female characters, or how it was a running gag to see women beat, I could go on for days just ranting about that. The best things I can say about the movie is that Will Smith, and Margot Robbie are movie stars and command your attention when they are on the screen. It is just a shame that they didn't have anything to do or say that was remotely interesting while they had it. Finally, the whole movie was shot in very little light making the tone once again dark and brooding. Zach Snyder has one note, and he is going to force it on us everywhere whether it belongs or not. This should have been a funner version of Deadpool. Instead it was garbage.

Would you say it's better or worse than BvS?

4 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

The one constant in reviews I have seen, good or bad, is that the Joker leaves no impression. All that hype and the method shenanigans were for naught it would seem.

I've always maintained that doing a Suicide Squad movie was a horrible idea for DC, especially early in their movieverse world building.  

But I'm now living in a new area with furniture still 4 or 5 days away from getting here, no cable, the family still doesn't join me for nearly a week still and I need something to do on a Friday night.  I came to the thread, even though I thought I'd never want to go see this movie, but I thought maybe everyone here would help sway me in my time of boredom...

Guess I'm gonna go check outtimes for Bad Moms...

8 hours ago, Morpheus said:

The one constant in reviews I have seen, good or bad, is that the Joker leaves no impression. All that hype and the method shenanigans were for naught it would seem.

From what Leto said, to how much time we know he was on set, I'd say they cut most of the Joker scenes out of the movie, which is mind buggling since yes we knew he was secondary, but they did build their marketing around him. 

I'd be pissed too if I was hired to play such an iconic character, spend months on my performance, only to end up on cutting room floor.

10 hours ago, sifth said:

Would you say it's better or worse than BvS?

I have no idea... I didn't watch BvS. I wouldn't have watched SS either, but a friend bought me a ticket for my birthday, and hanging out and being friendly trumped my boycott of Zach Snyder led DC films. 

I want to address the Joker one more time, because that to me was among the most egregious things done in a movie of terrible ideas. I'm going to do so based solely on appearance, and things that have been seen in the trailer so as not to give away spoilers to anyone who is duped into giving money to this rotting garbage of a movie. 

There was a guy in clown makeup in this movie, but it certainly wasn't a representation of the Joker that I know. The Joker, as a character represents chaos. From second to second, you never know what the character will do. At one moment, he can be a man of reason and compassion, and the next instant, he could murder you on a whim. One thing is consistent is that he never sits still. 

In this movie, we are introduced to a character that has perfectly and meticulously kept hair, elaborate tattoos that obviously took hours and hours to sit for, and a set of teeth with perfectly placed gems on every one. One of his featured scenes is a shot of him lying on the ground with knives and clevers around him that he placed in a perfectly modeled circle around him. None of these actions are consistent with the Joker that I have known and loved. They did not even get the character design right to start with, and that is completely the failing of Zach Snyder who is responsible for the approval of the characters.

As far as Jared Leto's acting, it was just plain bad. I mentioned earlier that It seemed like he was just palely imitating Heath Ledger, but that isn't even completely right. It was kind of a crossover of Heath Ledger inflections combined with a huge helping of Jim Carey in the mask. Someone should have shown him a clip of this, and then stopped him. 

Archived