Suicide Squad: Real Life or Just a Fantasy?

Myrddin

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Well all I can say is that I thought Leto's Joker was a clear standout character here, and would have wanted much more of him.

He made the film better.

I kind of liked him too.  Felt that he was a "force of nature" there was a sense of the inevitable as he hunted for Harley.  Agree that more Joker as he turns the world upside down looking for her would be a positive.  Also disagree after some thought with whoever upthread said Joker was too chaotic to lay in a circle of knives and guns... You mean the same Joker who in every other medium he's appeared in has managed to recruit an army of loyal followers and set up elaborate schemes that would take months/years to plan?!!?

Joker is unstable, that's part of the character.  But he also can plan things out long term.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

I'll try and see if I can watch that new Batman Killing Joke animated film and see if that's good.

it's hugely sexist and problematic. You're going to love it.

I'd also argue that Peter Jackson didn't 'phone in' the Hobbit movies, if you watch the behind the scenes videos you can see the monumental crap heaped on him and the desperation in his eyes as he attempts to make something work. I felt sorry for him as those movies were really awful in hindsight.

I think it's pretty clear that PJ wanted two movies, max, and was working with Del Toro on that idea. Then the studio decided they wanted three, Del Toro said no and walked, and PJ was left with the decision that either he could make them himself and try to extract something good from the notion, or the studio would palm it off on some other hack director (I remember some of the names being thrown around with horror).

On that basis the movies are not a total disaster, with many, many individually great moments which worked quite well. And quite a few bits that didn't.

There's a four-hour fan edit of the trilogy which apparently works quite well, despite some editing problems (he cuts from Smaug being pissed off in Erebor to him flying away, with no silly gold fight with the dwarves, but there's no way to stop Smaug from being covered with gold as he leaves). I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jackson himself does something like this in the future.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I'll try and see if I can watch that new Batman Killing Joke animated film and see if that's good.

It's disappointing - even the direct adaptation of the comic. The prequel segment makes Batman look like a complete dick. It does have Hamil and Conroy doing the voices though. I was hoping it'd be a sanctuary from the live-action films but I think the animated stories featuring Damian-Robin are more fun overall. Justice League: Gods and monsters is the best DC film for a long while. It actually does the "darker" interpretation of the heroes but in a way that's interesting and still fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived