Suicide Squad: Real Life or Just a Fantasy?

Myrddin

Other thread locked as I was replying...

To me, the trailer works fine. It doesn't put it forth as too serious or too funny, though it does look fun.

I wonder if people on this forum remember that movies should be fun, first and foremost. Especially comic book movies. Not everything is the Wire.

I say, enjoy this for what it is: Something that will be rebooted in 10 years. :)

" That sounds more like an excuse than a good reason. I don't think it's inconsistent half hearted style is on purpose "

Well that's great for you except the comics are exactly this style. Definitely the tone of serious to funny in a heartbeat, human stories to incredible villains in a heartbeat.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But it's supposed to be that way.  

I preferred the previous trailer. I think I liked the tone it set more and Harley Quinn was much better. I think I can agree with the poster in the previous thread that it did a pretty good job at establishing some of the other members of the team, but it actually made me wary of Harley's character, the only one who really showed much promise as a character. The Joker was pretty awesome in this tough, although I did like him in the previous trailer as well. 

"

Well that's great for you except the comics are exactly this style. Definitely the tone of serious to funny in a heartbeat, human stories to incredible villains in a heartbeat."

Thats not really what Im getting at. Its fine to be able to tell stories in different ways and have the tone vary, especially in a comic. But my problem with what I'm seeing so far is that it feels more like it really doesn't know what its going for, and doesn't have a clear vision. Visually the movie seems to be dark and gritty, living in a realistic every day universe. This is probably a conscious decision from up high about all of the DC movie universe. But at the same time, you have someone ludicrous like Killer Croc, who looks like something from the Super Mario movie. Then you have the Joker, who isn't gritty and realistic, and isn't over the top and stylised. Instead hes a collection of memes. 

I think in that way my complaint has more to do with the whole DC strategy which I think is wildly misjudged. 

Either way I think this movie will end up being nothing more than the output of a corporate committee hoping to 'appeal to the kids'
Compare and contrast to the Deadpool trailer which genuinely feels like something a bit edgy and fun, made by people who like the source material and want to entertain.

9 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

"

Either way I think this movie will end up being nothing more than the output of a corporate committee hoping to 'appeal to the kids'
Compare and contrast to the Deadpool trailer which genuinely feels like something a bit edgy and fun, made by people who like the source material and want to entertain.

As a comic reader, i will agree to disagree then. I'd rather they stay faithful to the comics and make this a really weird, dark, funny ride. 

As for Deadpool, i love the trailer and i will be going opening night, but his character is a Superhero that says dirty and childish jokes, swears a lot and kills. Exactly what teenagers and young 20's want. 

And of course! You must know the people working behind the scene and know they don't know the source material or care about entertaining people.  

I'm all fine with people having opinions, but pretending to know what the people making the movie feel, is utter bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

I wonder if people on this forum remember that movies should be fun, first and foremost. Especially comic book movies. Not everything is the Wire.

I think the general response round here was positive. The Batman v Superman thread is full of complaints about the seeminly overall dreary tone of the Snyderverse.

I think that using a more obscure property like this kind of lends itself to a more haphazard style. Outside of the Joker, very few of these characters are well known to anyone other than a full fledged comics geek. Seeing as how this template was successful for Guardians of the Galaxy, I see no reason why it can't work here. And as Lord Hanna mentioned, the source material is fairly dark and quirky. I'm looking forward to it. 

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

I think the general response round here was positive. The Batman v Superman thread is full of complaints about the seeminly overall dreary tone of the Snyderverse.

Definitely. The movie i have been waiting for all my life (BvS), is now like...5th on my comic movie hype train. That says a lot. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Hanna said:

As a comic reader, i will agree to disagree then. I'd rather they stay faithful to the comics and make this a really weird, dark, funny ride. 

As for Deadpool, i love the trailer and i will be going opening night, but his character is a Superhero that says dirty and childish jokes, swears a lot and kills. Exactly what teenagers and young 20's want. 

And of course! You must know the people working behind the scene and know they don't know the source material or care about entertaining people.  

I'm all fine with people having opinions, but pretending to know what the people making the movie feel, is utter bullshit. 

Ok fair enough, but what actually do you think this movie is going for? It doesn't seem to me to be particuarly interested in capturing the comics tone, although to be fair I've only read early SS comics. To me it seems that instead its going for a very bland inbetween catchall version of numerous DC properties. 

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Ok fair enough, but what actually do you think this movie is going for? It doesn't seem to me to be particuarly interested in capturing the comics tone, although to be fair I've only read early SS comics. To me it seems that instead its going for a very bland inbetween catchall version of numerous DC properties. 

Seems to me to be sort of a Dirty Dozen with superpowers, more or less. Which is how I'd describe the comic, more or less. Relatively likable anti-heroes with probably one or two irredeemable exceptions. 

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Seems to me to be sort of a Dirty Dozen with superpowers, more or less. Which is how I'd describe the comic, more or less. Relatively likable anti-heroes with probably one or two irredeemable exceptions. 

Pretty much this, yeah. Harley and Captain boomerang usually bring comedy, Deadshot brings the sad story with his daughter, etc. They each bring their own element so you get a bit of everything in it. 

It could turn out horrible, and i agree this style is definitely not for everyone, but to me it gets me very excited to see it, because the comic makes the mix work incredible, even the animated movie that just came out does it great. The trailer, while not giving away everything, gave me the same vibe. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Hanna said:

Pretty much this, yeah. Harley and Captain boomerang usually bring comedy, Deadshot brings the sad story with his daughter, etc. They each bring their own element so you get a bit of everything in it. 

It could turn out horrible, and i agree this style is definitely not for everyone, but to me it gets me very excited to see it, because the comic makes the mix work incredible, even the animated movie that just came out does it great. The trailer, while not giving away everything, gave me the same vibe. 

Yes I understand what SS is, I have read the comics and seen the animated movie (which I thought was reasonable, in fact probably looked a lot better than this, mainly as it seemed closer in tone and style to the current DC animated universe, or more precisely a bit more like the Dark Knight Returns stuff they did recently).

The actual concept of SS is pretty easy to get your head around. My problem is really that DC's live action movies are seemingly in a real fudge as to what their vision really is. Suicide Squad seems to be a casualty of this if you ask me. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Hanna said:

Yes I understand what SS is, I have read the comics and seen the animated movie (which I thought was reasonable, in fact probably looked a lot better than this, mainly as it seemed closer in tone and style to the current DC animated universe, or more precisely a bit more like the Dark Knight Returns stuff they did recently).

The actual concept of SS is pretty easy to get your head around. My problem is really that DC's live action movies are seemingly in a real fudge as to what their vision really is. Suicide Squad seems to be a casualty of this if you ask me. 

16 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm not sure having an over-arching vision is necessary or even desirable. Just because the MCU has gone that route (and been fairly successful at it) doesn't mean that's the only way to go. I think this way of thinking has already lead to the demise of what could have been a really innovative and funny Ant-Man movie. At the end of the day, I believe you have to let the director direct his or her vision, and not be tied to some all encompassing vision. You want some connectivity to be sure, but I would think that a Batman movie should have a different tone than an Aquaman movie which should have a different tone than a JLA film, etc, etc. This whole idea of having a template that every director needs to follow results in the same flavor of film, over and over. 

And to be fair, the Marvel stories all have some very different vibes. Iron Man doesn't feel like a Cap movie, and neither feel like GotG or Ant Man. Having one of these be somewhat lighthearted compared to BvS is probably okay, even set in the same universe. 

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm not sure having an over-arching vision is necessary or even desirable. Just because the MCU has gone that route (and been fairly successful at it) doesn't mean that's the only way to go. I think this way of thinking has already lead to the demise of what could have been a really innovative and funny Ant-Man movie. At the end of the day, I believe you have to let the director direct his or her vision, and not be tied to some all encompassing vision. You want some connectivity to be sure, but I would think that a Batman movie should have a different tone than an Aquaman movie which should have a different tone than a JLA film, etc, etc. This whole idea of having a template that every director needs to follow results in the same flavor of film, over and over. 

The comic lines are always at their most interesting when the individual comics are distinctive and play to the creators/characters strengths as opposed to the rather dull "every book looks and reads the same" problem.

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And to be fair, the Marvel stories all have some very different vibes. Iron Man doesn't feel like a Cap movie, and neither feel like GotG or Ant Man. Having one of these be somewhat lighthearted compared to BvS is probably okay, even set in the same universe. 

To be honest, I feel like GotG has really been the only film to really break the Marvel mold. To be fair, I haven't seen Ant-Man, as I kind of lost interest in it after Edgar Wright bailed on it. I get what your saying regarding the character "feel". Obviously, Tony and Steve are going to have different perceptions and different issues, but I do feel like the Marvel flicks are getting fairly cookie-cutter. I think they'd be doing themselves a favor in allowing innovative directors like Wright put their own spin on things and perhaps loosen the noose on the creative controls a bit. I think GotG is a good example of what can happen when they go this route. Obviously that was easier to do with less established, obscure characters, but I see no real reason why the same thing can't apply to the major leaguers.   

10 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

To be honest, I feel like GotG has really been the only film to really break the Marvel mold. To be fair, I haven't seen Ant-Man, as I kind of lost interest in it after Edgar Wright bailed on it.

The criticism above is a bit unfair, then: you're comparing a movie that was never made to one that you haven't seen.

I like Edgar Wright as a director, but the idea that he's some sort of distinct visionary who would have done something radically different to the film as it exists is hard for me to really credit. I think Wright's version would have been a bit more comedic, a little more quirky, but the tone of the Ant-Man film is still pretty lighthearted and very distinct from, say, Winter Soldier or Iron Man 3.

It's early to say for sure what this movie will be like but the signs are certainly that it won't be another Man of Steel, that they're looking to do something else with it. That's good enough for me to give it a shot. 

I know that while I have my reservations I'm more interested in this than I am BvS. If it gets some good feedback and reviews on RT I might consider seeing it in the theater.

I'm interested in how they handle Batfleck in this one, as a side character or just a cameo, his overall presence in the film and overall how this film and these characters builds into the universe.

Archived